7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2010 1:18 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Image Background

myjkem2 Level 1

How do I cut the white background out of this picture (see attachment) so I can put it in an Illustrator document on a colored background.

• 1. Re: Image Background
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Bruce,

As far as I remember there is an Ignore White option in the latest version(s) (although it may be in connexion with Live Trace); otherwise, you may strip the image of its white in Photoshop.

• 2. Re: Image Background
            myjkem2 Level 1

Where is the ignore white option, I have Illustrator CS4.

Also after I get the image the way I want it, how do I bring it into the

document I want to put it in.

• 3. Re: Image Background
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Ignore white in a live trace option.

You might do that if you wanted to convert the art to Vector or you can trace it in AI with the pen tool and reapply the colors and gradients or in Photoshop you can select click on the layers panel to make your background layer a real layer and then either using the magic wand to select the white background and deleting it or using the pen tool to trace a clean path around the letters and turning that either into a clipping path and bring it into ai with the clipping Path or use the path to make a selection invert the selection and delete the background make sure yiu have first turn the background layer into a real layer in Photoshop.

If you want to do this in AI you once again Trace the letters outline with the Pen Tool and select the image and that path of the outline and go to Object>Clipping Mask>Make

There are lots of ways.

If you choose to do it in Illustrator save it as .psd file not a jpg.

• 4. Re: Image Background
                myjkem2 Level 1

I have the image the way I want it in Photoshop and saved it as a PNG file.

How do I import it into Illustrator.

• 5. Re: Image Background
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

File>Place

• 6. Re: Image Background
                    myjkem2 Level 1

Thank you so much.

I see the rectangle linked box on the right.

It has a little white box in side it that says linked.

I drop the menu down beside it and it doesn't

show me where it's linked to.

How do I find where the graphic is linked to.

I know where the graphic is but I want to know how to find

where things are linked to.

• 7. Re: Image Background
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I am not quite sure I understand you.

When placing the file you select you file above then you have the option to link or not link the file.

That is all you have to do. then click open and it will be placed in AI?

If you link the file and want to edit it then you go to the Windows>Link to show the link Panel then select the image in the link Panel and at the bottom of the Link Panel you will see a Pencil Icon if you then click on the icon it will open the link file in Photoshop so you can edit it if you make changes and save then when you return to AI the link file will be update or it will ask you if you want to update the file. You do not have to search for the file  unless you move it and it will ask you to update the link.