9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 11:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Dell Latitude D630 Display Driver Problems

Stanley Arthur Level 3

I recently upgraded this laptop to Win 7 Ultimate and Production Premium CS4 from Win XP and CS3. Before I upgraded, I had smooth playback. After the upgrade, I'm only getting 4-5 fps instead of full motion video in the program window. Today, I found that there was a display driver update from Microsoft so I downloaded and installed it. It didn't work for PPro at all. It gave me a random still frame from the timeline with a bright cyan cast on it. I tried different options in the playback settings but nothing worked. I rolled back to the old display driver and the jerky playback. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Dell Latitude D630 Display Driver Problems
          Harm Millaard Level 7

My idea is PATIENCE. Wait for Dell to come with a new driver, because with all the modifications Dell makes to standard systems, factory drivers often are crippled. That is just one of the advantages of Dell. Live with it.

Apart from that, if you are editing AVCHD or similar, waiting for a new videodriver will not help you. You need a machine with more muscle.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dell Latitude D630 Display Driver Problems
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

Dell usually gets very high marks on the rapidity of video (and audio) driver releases. I'd first check their site. I'm sure that many developers are scrambling to update drivers for Win7.

If that does not work, go to the ATI, or nVidia site (depends on your vid-card), and see what they have to offer. I know that nVidia has just released a recent beta driver that fixes a ton of display issues in other Adobe products. Be aware that some computer mfgrs. do proprietary drivers for their laptops' vid-cards, so one from the "source" may, or may not work.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Dell Latitude D630 Display Driver Problems
              Stanley Arthur Level 3

It's an Intel graphics card. I do have the latest driver. It seems that I have different issues depending on what codec the media is using. Curiously, if I replace a clip with an After Effects comp, the comp then will playback in the program window from the timeline, albeit very choppy with a yellow bar. If I choose to render the entire work area (green bar), it won't play at all in the program window. I get the dreaded cyan screen in the program window (see attached screenshot).

So, it appears that the graphics driver is not yet ready for PPro. I did discover something that is working for me. I hooked a Dynex HD TV via vga and then found that in playback settings, under realtime output,  I had the option of outputting to that display. Amazingly, that works.

• 4. Re: Dell Latitude D630 Display Driver Problems
                the_wine_snob Level 9

That cyan screen, and similar, are fairly common with the Intel graphics chips. There are several threads (most in the last year), where users had this sort of problem, when using Intel graphics chips. I do not recall if any of those posters found a real fix, beyond disconnecting the Intel and adding an ATI, or nVidia card. However, I just might not be remembering any cures, or just did not follow those threads to conclusion. A Search on "Intel chips" might bring up some of those. I'd also try other variations on "Intel graphics chips," as different posters list their equipment differently.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Dell Latitude D630 Display Driver Problems
                  Matt Petersen Level 3

Cyan Program Monitor: This is a classic Video Overlay issue. All you can really do is hope and wait for an updated driver from Dell, or if you're game, you can try installing Intel's latest driver for the chipset. Careful though, it can all go pear-shaped quickly.

In terms of the jerky playback, what is your Playback Quality set at? Try toggling through the options for any improvement (and the obvious one isn't always the answer).

I'm actually not surprised the external playback works: has nothing to do with overlay.

Matthew

• 6. Re: Dell Latitude D630 Display Driver Problems
                    Stanley Arthur Level 3

The jerky playback is only with red or yellow bar clips. When I render the entire work are, it plays smoothly.

• 7. Re: Dell Latitude D630 Display Driver Problems
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

That shows that your processor/memory/disk setup could be improved, since it requires rendering for fluid playback. The more muscle in your system, the less you need to render for previews. You could try the http://ppbm4.com benchamrk to see how your system performs in relation to other systems. Mail the results to Bill and maybe send me the results as well by PM.

• 8. Re: Dell Latitude D630 Display Driver Problems
                        Stanley Arthur Level 3

Thanks, again. I have no doubt that there are laptop configurations that are far-better suited for what I'm trying to do, but the one I have is the only one available to me for the time being. At this point, I'm able to do my freelance post-production work at home, albeit not as efficiently as it could be done. The film I'm working on (Waste of Space) has been guaranteed distribution, so when I do finally get paid for it, I'll be looking long and hard at a better solution.

Here's a trailer: http://tinyurl.com/yfxojcr

I'm doing most of the rotoscope/compositing for this film. Note, I am NOT doing the models or animation.

• 9. Re: Dell Latitude D630 Display Driver Problems
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

Good luck on the film, and also on rapid payment.

If you do wish to keep a laptop design, I'd recommend that you look into the Sager line of laptops. They are basically extreme gaming units, but can be easily customized by Sager for NLE work. While not inexpensive, mine has served me very well for almost 3 years of very heavy usage, and has nearly the same power as my workstation.

Hunt

PS - thanks for sharing the trailer.