6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 10:06 AM by nealeh

Windows 7-64bit success

nealeh Level 5

I post this note to offer encouragement to those having problems that PRE7 CAN work well in Windows 7 64bit

I finally got to do some real work in PRE7 on Windows 7 64bit and have had a trouble free experience with seemingly improved performance.

System:

Purchase date - January 2008. No system hardware upgrades installed since.

Intel Processor - Quad-Core Q6600 2.40GHz

RAM - 4.00GB

Graphics - Nvidia 8800GT (Driver: 195.62 whql)

Disks - Twin SATA drives 500GB each

Windows:

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit, installed as a dual boot system with Vista Ultimate. All windows updates installed.

Project:

4:3 PAL

28 Type 2 DV-AVI's (imported from Analog VCR to Magix Movies on DVD, then exported as DV-AVI)

Length - 1' 35"

Effects/Transitions: Shadows/Highlight (key framed). Dip to Black between scenes. GPU Page Curl or Page Peel for changes within a scene.

Memory Box Theme (main menu and three scene sub-menus)

Share:

Burn to folder (8.5GB) (encoding time just over one hour)

Converted to 4.7GB disk image with DVD-Shrink (I like PRE to produce it's highest quality output)

Burnt with ImgBurn at 2.4x to Verbatim single layer disk

My machine is not, by any means, dedicated to video processing. I also found it much harder to close memory resident processes in W7 compared to Vista. Consequently there was a fair amount of background stuff running in addition to PRE7.

So I don't know what I'm doing right but, whatever it is, it's working. If I had to pick one of the many elements in the overall workflow that maximises success I would repeat what so many others recommend - convert all video to DV-AVI 2 first.

I hope this provides some encouragement to those having a tough time on W7-64 to persevere.

Good luck,
      --
      Neale
      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 1. Re: Windows 7-64bit success
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you for posting. I hope that your observations will prove helpful to others.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Windows 7-64bit success
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's always great to hear the success stories, Neale! Hope this means the Windows 7 64-bit issue is resolving itself.

• 3. Re: Windows 7-64bit success
              Kodebuster Level 3

I like your approach to using Dual Layer DVD's on output of PE to preserve as much quality as possible, then using DVD Shrink to take it to a 4.7gig format on an as needed basis.

Although Shrink will apply compression as needed to fit, similiar to PE, it always nice to have access to important large SD Projects with little to no compression on output.

This never crossed my mind, as an important factor with DL disks for me was that they were a bit over priced (in the past).

As far as DV-AVI, sometimes I feel like a broken record, when and where ever possible, DV-AVI is the only way to go...

• 4. Re: Windows 7-64bit success
                nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

It's always great to hear the success stories, Neale! Hope this means the Windows 7 64-bit issue is resolving itself.

One thing I didn't note above is that for all my external devices I went to the manufacturers website to download the latest drivers (64bit if available, else 32bit). This included two printers (laser & inkjet); webcam; analog-digital converter; graphics; motherboard; sound card; colorimeter. I installed and tested all these drivers BEFORE installing any application software (e.g. PRE7).

So hopefully, as you say, hardware manufacturers are catching up and producing drivers (both 64 & 32 bit) that work in W7-64.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: Windows 7-64bit success
                  nealeh Level 5

Kodebuster wrote:

Although Shrink will apply compression as needed to fit, similiar to PE, it always nice to have access to important large SD Projects with little to no compression on output.

I've always used DVD Shrink (info here, download here) as it was originally developed specifically to do this one task and is freeware. There is also a higher level of control over the compression ratio of individual elements.

Kodebuster wrote:

As far as DV-AVI, sometimes I feel like a broken record, when and where ever possible, DV-AVI is the only way to go...

It is very satisfying to load a clip that does not need to be rendered before use. The advantages are clear as my encoding time took only around one hour - i.e. around 1/3rd LESS than the overall length of the footage.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Windows 7-64bit success
                    nealeh Level 5

After my earlier success I tried something a little more ambitious – 38 DV-AVI clips totalling 2’ 50”. This proved more problematical than my first W7-64 effort but nothing that couldn’t be easily fixed.

PROBLEM

FIX

I tried running PRE7 along with other major apps running. This caused a pretty quick crash to the desktop.

Closed my XP Mode virtual machine, anti-virus, anti-spyware, and online backup program

During rendering I got a low disk space warning – even with 85GB free.

Created an extra 100GB of free space and defragmented.

At one point loading my project forced PRE7 to minimise on load and could not be restored.

Created a new, empty, project. Then opened the actual project from the File menu.

Sound skipping- during monitor playback the sound occasionally skipped.

Exiting and resatarting PRE fixed this.

Occasionally it seemed as though PRE had stopped and was in a ‘not   responding’ state.

I checked in Task Manager that PRE was still processing and went for a cup of tea! All well when coming back – patience is a virtue here.

It seemed to me that there is a definite gap between PRE completing the burn to folder and giving the ‘burn completed’ notice.

A burn to folder crashed at 70% with a transcoding error.

Tricky this one. I THINK that PRE processing is not recognized by   Windows as active use. The W7-64 default power setting is to put the PC to   sleep after 30 minutes inactivity. After setting it to ‘never sleep’ my burns worked fine.

Overall nothing too dreadful. The burn to folder time of 50 minutes (for a 2’ 50” film) was also impressive - I am sure that W7-64 is giving me better PRE performance than Vista-32.

I actually burnt the project a few times as I kept spotting spelling mistakes in my titles! One time I forgot to change the target drive, and the project burnt to the same drive as the source files. The burn time increased from 50” to 1’ 20” – so it is definitely worthwhile having at least two physical disks.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale