6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2010 11:17 PM by moccamaximum

Animation to the beat

HarryPutnam Level 1

No doubt its been asked repeatedly ... how to make animation move to the beat of a sound track.

I've been googling for a while here and getting piles of hits but many are not really on topic, then figuring out tighter search strings is a bit hard too since sound and animation has so many possible topics.  Looks like it might literally take days to zero in on something.

Can anyone here direct me to information that tells how to make an animation move to the beat of a sound track using Flash?

Its fairly easy in Afer Effects so I assumed it would be something I could do in Flash Pro too.  But not really getting how it might be done.

I have created a simple animation with two kids moving along with a mule pulling a plow.. all are just still pics but I have a 3wk old Grand daughter on the mule and 1 yr old Great grand son guiding the plow. All figures are bouncing along on with primitive walk step, on 8fr keyframes.  Very primitive, but since the kids are my grand and great grand kids it looks pretty cool to my family.

I'm using some nice old hillbilly music of Bill Monroe's (Fiddle, banjo etc) semi-bluegrass sound.   But the beat of the music is enough different than the motion of the animation, its a bit distracting.

I thought to just change the spacing of the keyframes by trial and error until its at least close.

But guessing there is a more exact and easier way.   In Affter effects its fairly easy to do by ear by tapping out the beat by hand, making markers as you go just by tapping the key in time to the music.  It works surprisingly well even for a beat challenged oldster.

But enough about After effects... I'm trying to learn Flash.  So any advice or a URL?

• 1. Re: Animation to the beat
          moccamaximum Level 5

If you want to keep it simple you define two beats in a movieclip and synchronize that beat to your music. Then on the timeline call a function that for example let your figures move. I`ve prepared a little example that should show the principle.

• 2. Re: Animation to the beat
            HarryPutnam Level 1

moccamaximum wrote:

If you want to keep it simple you define two beats in a movieclip and synchronize that beat to your music. Then on the timeline call a function that for example let your figures move. I`ve prepared a little example that should show the principle.

i'm really sorry you've gone to this trouble, and I'm too dim witted to get what you are showing me.  Is something supposed to happen with this setup?  Is it supposed to move or make a sound?

With only one keyframe on each layer, I'm not sure how  it would be able to move.... or am I supposed to make some more?

Its very disconcerting that I'm not even able to follow along here... and have made you waist your time.

I see no way to play the *.wav file.

I don't understand what this means `define two beats in a movie clip'.

I see only one item labled `beat' so am I supposed to create another red ball?  I don't see any thing entitled a `movie clip' either.  Or do you mean what you have titled `szene 1'.

As you can see, I am completly inept with this.

The animation I have created does have only two movements.. so should lend itself to timing to music... but your nice example is going right over my thick skulI.

• 3. Re: Animation to the beat
              moccamaximum Level 5

sorry, I forgot to comment the code. Maybe the new version helps.

• 4. Re: Animation to the beat
                HarryPutnam Level 1

moccamaximum wrote:

sorry, I forgot to comment the code. Maybe the new version helps.

Very nice.... I think I might actually be catching on.  However I discovered it strictly by accident.

Your code says to double click the the square after opening the fla file and then open the Action Script window.

Doing that I never see a layer named AS, and so  never see the code:

MovieClip(this._parent).jump();

was having quite a time trying to figure the file out, or at least why I wasn't seeing what the code says I would see.

Sorry to admit it was strictly by accident a more experienced person would have known to go to the library pane and double click the beat symbol.

But strictly by accident I happened to double click the the beat symbol in the library pane.   Ahaa suddenly I see the layer named AS.  Then I realized what was missing.... double clicking the square does NOT open the symbol time line.  I know that double clicking a symbol in a scene should open the symbols time line.  But in the example it does not.  Not sure why.

So that threw me for  a while until I accidently double clicked the symbol itself (in the library pane).

So now at least you hard work wasn't wasted this time.

Thanks, you've been very patient.

• 5. Re: Animation to the beat
                  kitweb Level 1

Is it possible to just paste audio into the timeline without it playing the sound through to the end completely? I want to be able to put in some music and then create shape and color transformations based on the beat and sound of the music . (i dont use code only timeline shape animations). thnx.

• 6. Re: Animation to the beat
                    moccamaximum Level 5

Of course you may always switch the music in the very clip with your own.