3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 1:24 AM by Michel Bozgounov

How can I turn off the "open in tabs" in Fireworks CS4?

ayne

I found out how to do it in Phoroshop CS4 ( preferences> interface, uncheck "open documents in tabs) but I can't find an option to turn off the "open in tabs"  for Fireworks. I realize that I can open documents in tabs and then drag them apart, but it would be much preferable to have each document open in it's own window as they have in previous versions of Fireworks. I frequently need to compare documents side by side and tabbing back and forth is doesn't work for me.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How can I turn off the "open in tabs" in Fireworks CS4?
          Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Hi,

Are you on Windows or MacOS X?

For Windows version, not sure this can be done.

On Windows XP, see this example path:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Adobe\Fireworks CS4\English\Fireworks CS4 Preferences.txt

Close Fireworks CS4, then open this file Fireworks CS4 Preferences.txt with Notepad and find key:

<key>OpenNewDocumentAsTabs</key>
            <bool>true</bool>

Change the "true" to "false", save the file. Open Fireworks CS4, and see if there's any difference...

On Windows XP, I do not see any difference. But I see that once I have floated one of the files open, all the next files I open, become floated too (not opened as tabs!). So this may help you maybe?

If you are on Mac OS X, search for a similar preferences file for Fireworks CS4 and see if it helps you edit "OpenNewDocumentAsTabs" key from "true" to "false".

Not sure if this helps you much but at least I tried...

If nothing helps, this is my suggestion:

1) Open Fireworks.

2) Open a file, "float" it away from the tabs area and it will be un-docked and then, all other files you open later, will be not opened as tabs...

• 2. Re: How can I turn off the "open in tabs" in Fireworks CS4?
            ayne Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I am on WInXP. I edited the preference file, but it hasn't changed the behavior of the tabs at all. Even if I open a file and float it, the next file I open is tabbed wiith it. If I open 4 files and float each one by dragging it away from the tabs and then open another file, the newly open file is tabbed with the last file I opened. So the only way to get multiple images to show side by side is to drag each one away from the tabs. Very time consuming and frustrating.

• 3. Re: How can I turn off the "open in tabs" in Fireworks CS4?
              Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Yes, I see same...

I don't know if this is "as designed"... I use Fireworks with tabs and I prefer it this way but... I see your point.

Maybe someone else will be able to help you better!