2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2015 12:13 PM by carlr41787995

error (86 :: 1)

lamech88

hi everyone,

im new to the adobe AE community, i have just downloaded the program and im about to get started, but the problem is when i try to import a video file it comes up with this:

After effects error: File "video.MPG" cannot be opened, it may be in an unsupported format.

(86 :: 1)

im sure im asking a rookie question but i can't find any help anywhere else.

is it the format? if so what is the proper formatting?

thanks!

• 1. Re: error (86 :: 1)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

From the download page for the trial:

The trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 does not include some features that depend on software licensed from parties other than Adobe. For example, some codecs for encoding MPEG formats are available only with the full version of these products. HDV, XDCAM, and AVCHD formats and sequence presets are not supported in the trial for both Mac OS and Windows®. Adobe Media Encoder export does not include MPEG-4, MPEG-2, MPEG-2 DVD, or MPEG-2 Blu-ray as export formats in the trial. The file importer does not recognize file types that are not included in trial mode (such as MPEG and XDCAM files). HDV is not included as a capture format in the Mac OS version of the trial.

Applies to AE just the same. Use whatever tool came with your camera and convert it to a conventional AVI or MOV file or find yourself tools that can do it, e.g. the free SUPER© or MPEGStreamclip.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: error (86 :: 1)
            carlr41787995

Gahhh, I just had this same useless error message! I was trying to load a project with avi's captured using FRAPS on another machine.  The problem was fixed very easily by installing FRAPS on the second machine!