3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 7:53 AM by Claudino Bur

Performance Issues

aligned2009

I have a canvas with about 10 elements, 6 HBoxes containing combinations of forms, status and trees. Trees maybe at most 3 deep, with 4 leaves at the most. Overall, doesn't seem like a lot.

When I click on the tree node to expand, the tree node takes a long time to open, maybe one or two seconds.

I'm working with a business application, so there is a decent amount of information that needs to be available to the user. Does Adobe have a dedicated document for dealing with these types of issues at an architecture level? Seems like most of the performance pages out there deal with individual widgets, not a scaling application.

Appreciate the help!

• 1. Re: Performance Issues
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

I'd use the profiler to see what is taking all the time and go from there.

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Developer

Adobe Systems Inc.

Blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

• 2. Re: Performance Issues
            aligned2009 Level 1

I guess that's my point, in using the profiler, I wouldn't expect a handler to take 300ms on a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo using Firefox. Would you? This is what I'm looking for. For a set of architectural elements, what is the expected performance on a given platform?

• 3. Re: Performance Issues
              Claudino Bur

Hello,

No one can answer that question for you, keep in mind that usualy the developer's computer is faster than the contractor's computer.

You must not focus on the "ms" but you must focus on the "%". For example a possible solution for my problem was to make my own tree, which showed to the user only the information needed and did not compute the information not visible for the user. Another solution was not to instantiate the node components, but to reuse them, because when validating the display of a component it make a lot of calculus. This all looked at the scrollbars position.

Claude Bur.