2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 3:45 AM by Harm Millaard

system configuration question for HD editing on new system.

TomToc

I've been editing in premiere for close to 9 years but have stuck mostly to DV video.  I recently bought Production Premium and wanted to jump into editing HD.   Here is the system I installed the Production Premium CS4 on;  (I will use Premiere, AE, and PhotoShop the most)

Processor: Intel Core i7 960 CPU

CPU Speed: 3.2Ghz

CPU Cores: 4

CPU Threads: 8

L3 Cache size: 8MB

Memory: DDR3-1333 (PC3 10666) 6GB Triple Channel (I will upgrade to 24GB once the price on the 4gig chips drops)

Motherboard: Intel x58 Chipset South Bridge: ICH10R Socket 1366

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD4890 1GB (Is this OK?)

OS Drive: Capacity: 1TB WD(Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

Speed: 7,200 RPM

Video Drive: 2 1TB Seagate Drives in raid 0 (mobo raid)

Speed:7,200 RPM

Buffer mem: 32mb

Additional Information: 24x DVDRW Double Layer, 700-watt power supply

I have two IDE 120gig WD drives I was thinking of putting in a raid 0 for the scratch.  Would this be advisable?  Would the IDE configuration be quick enough for this purpose?  How much space should I dedicate to scratch (do I really need the full 240gigs)?

I will buy two more 1TB Seagate Drives for more video storage.  would running all 4 of the seagate 1TB drives in raid 0 be beneficial for HD editing?  or should I just create a separate raid configuration for those two additional drives? 

(I will backup to a network drive(s) so I want the system itself to be built for speed [without getting obscenely expensive])

What is your opinion on addition hardware such as the matrox cards for help with HD editing?  (I used the RT2000 with the DV editing and it was an "adventure" to say the least to get that one working right.)

Thanks,

-Tom T.