6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 7:33 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Natural feel in Illustrator?

Frau Mayer

Hey all.

I am about to start to draw a map with a Wacom drawing pad. There will be houses and trees, just outlines. I want it to look like a hand drawing, a look which is easy to create in Photoshop... The customer asked for something easy to handle when hiding layers and scaling or even adding something later on, so I decided to use Illustrator instead of Photoshop. But I don't know how to create this pencil feel! Draw it with a plain brush and put an extra crackled layer on top? Or export it to Photoshop and use a filter there? Or maybe abandon the Illustrator idea and just do it in Photoshop?

Thanks!

Frau Mayer.

• 1. Re: Natural feel in Illustrator?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Frau Mayer,

You may apply an Art Brush (Brushes bundled with the Swatches palette/panel). There are some default ones, and others may be created or got.

Depending on version(s), you may also apply pressure dependent Stroke Weight.

• 2. Re: Natural feel in Illustrator?
            Frau Mayer Level 1

Thx Jacob,

but the art brushes still have this vector kind of look. Stroke weight can only be modified on plain brushes, not the arty ones, isn't it?? I use CS4.

• 3. Re: Natural feel in Illustrator?
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I used the paintbrush and then applied the rough pastel effect from the artistic category under effects to the whole thing.

I think this is much easier in Illustrator than in Photoshop, you just start drawing.

I don't really know how detailed you are gong to be but in Illustrator you have the options to easily reapply a different brush and effect to the art with one click.

Screen shot 2010-01-04 at 7.21.56 AM.png

You might color it with the blob brush.

Screen shot 2010-01-04 at 7.37.45 AM.png

• 4. Re: Natural feel in Illustrator?
                Frau Mayer Level 1

Hey Wade!

I haven't thought of the AI effects, stupid me.

It still looks a bit vectory, but better than the art brushes.

I tried to apply a pastel effect to a number of houses at once, but it seems it requires a LOT of memory/calculating. It stops eventually. The map is quite large, 80 cm x 50 cm, with quite some details (windows, wall structure). Just one colour though. Will I have to apply the effect to every single house? Or does that not make a change?

It is in fact the reapplying a range of brushes which is the clear advantage of using Illustrator....

• 5. Re: Natural feel in Illustrator?
                  Frau Mayer Level 1

I am going crazy really.

If I apply the effect one by one, I works, but when I try and export a PDF file, it takes 15 mins and freezes. There will be loads of houses, maybe I can't do this effects thing.

When I open the ai file in Photoshop and try an effect there, I can't see it.

• 6. Re: Natural feel in Illustrator?
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Effects>Document Raster Effects Settings change the effects setting to 72 ppi you onluy have to change it to higher when outputting it. zLike to an imagesetter.

Also you can go to the appearance panel and from the flyout menu uncheck New Art Has Basic Appearance then draw something give it the effect then as you continue to draw new objects they will be drawn with the effect already applied.

you can also save the effect as a graphic style if you decide to change the effect to another effect for other elements. That way you do not have to do it over.

You can also make the houses symbols if you do not mind having similar looking houses supposed to save fie size since each symbol instance is link to the symbol.

There are symbol tools for coloring, sizing etc.