16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 12:10 AM by yupieyi

Windows 2000 Error

pvansch
      Hi all,
      I am receiving a error when running a projector on Windows 2000.
      "Unable to locate DLL. The dynamic link library gdiplus.dll could not be found.."

I have authored the project on macintel, and downloaded and installed the latest mac hot fix for D11.
      Is this a problem with authoring on macintel? Is Win2000 supported by D11. I have found docs
      in the developer center saying it is and in other areas on the website the playback requirements do not mention
      win2000.

Has anyone else had this problem?
        • 1. Windows 2000 Error
          Chunick Level 3
          ... if you're missing gdiplus.dll then you will have to download it... it can be downloaded here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?gdiplus. Try putting it in the same folder as the projector - then cross your fingers. Good luck.
          • 2. Re: Windows 2000 Error
            pvansch Level 1
            Hello Chunick

Thank you so much for the reply. As this is for general distribution on CD
            I didn't feel comfortable downloading the file from dll-files.com. But I was able to
            download the files from MS.
            Your suggestion worked - to place it in the same path as the projector. I tried the xtras
            but no go.

I had a look at XP and there is a gdi32.dll in windows\system32\.
            So version will the projector load first? I will have to test XP & Vista.
            • 3. Re: Windows 2000 Error
              Nanomedia Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: pvansch
              Hi all,
              "Unable to locate DLL. The dynamic link library gdiplus.dll could not be found.."

I have authored the project on macintel, and downloaded and installed the latest mac hot fix for D11.
              Is this a problem with authoring on macintel? Is Win2000 supported by D11. I have found docs
              in the developer center saying it is and in other areas on the website the playback requirements do not mention
              win2000.

Director 11 minimum requirements: Windows 2000 SP4.

• 4. Re: Windows 2000 Error
                pvansch Level 1
                Thnxs Nanomedia,
                I'm using a fresh win2000 SP4 install to test my CD's.
                But I get that curious DLL error. Also if you look here
                http://www.adobe.com/products/director/systemreqs/
                Windows 2000 not specified in playback.

Now on this page
                http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/director11.html
                Scroll down to "New Platforms" and Allen Partridge lists a bunch of OSes
                including WIN 2000, not sure who to believe.
                • 5. Re: Windows 2000 Error
                  Nanomedia Level 1
                  http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403191
                  Scroll down to "Make sure that the system meets the minimum requirements for Director".
                  • 6. Re: Windows 2000 Error
                    Level 7
                    > I had a look at XP and there is a gdi32.dll in windows\system32\.
                    I take it you are talking about the gdiplus.dll..

> So version will the projector load first?
                    Normally, the dll located in the system32 folder.
                    It's easy to test yourself:
                    Assuming you have copied the dll in the projector's path, on win2000
                    -unlike xp/vista- you should be getting an "access denied" error
                    when trying to delete the dll while the projector is running.

> I will have to test XP & Vista.
                    Far as I know, the basic gdi+ commands are similar for all versions.
                    Some new stuff (filters etc) were included in a special gdi+ version
                    distributed with office2003, but I doubt that anyone besides ms has (or is
                    allowed to, since the new dll is required) use them. So, if the file does
                    exist, no matter the version, I doubt that you'll have any issues.

"pvansch" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:g2qb8n$3g0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Hello Chunick
                    >
                    > Thank you so much for the reply. As this is for general distribution on CD
                    > I didn't feel comfortable downloading the file from dll-files.com. But I
                    > was
                    > able to
                    > download the files from MS.
                    > Your suggestion worked - to place it in the same path as the projector. I
                    > tried the xtras
                    > but no go.
                    >
                    > I had a look at XP and there is a gdi32.dll in windows\system32\.
                    > So version will the projector load first? I will have to test XP & Vista.
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: Windows 2000 Error
                      Necromanthus Level 2
                      quote:

Hi all,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915052

p.s.
                      To use Windows 2000 in june 2008 is something quite ... strange.
                      cheers

• 8. Windows 2000 Error
                        pvansch Level 1
                        > http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403191
                        > Scroll down to "Make sure that the system meets the minimum requirements for Director".
                        thxs for picking that up. So am I the only one having the missing gdiplus.dll missing component with my projectors?
                        • 9. Re: Windows 2000 Error
                          pvansch Level 1
                          quote:

Originally posted by: necromanthus
                          quote:

Hi all,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915052

p.s.
                          To use Windows 2000 in june 2008 is something quite ... strange.
                          cheers

Hello necromanthus,
                          unfortunately many still do, especially large global corporations.
                          They rollout changes to their end users very slowly and infrequently.
                          I still have many clients who use IE6, Shockwave 8.5 and Quicktime 5,
                          they must wait for their IT departments and CIO's to decide to upgrade
                          operating systems, software and plugins.

Cheers
                          • 10. Re: Windows 2000 Error
                            pvansch Level 1
                            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                            >> I had a look at XP and there is a gdi32.dll in windows\system32\.
                            >I take it you are talking about the gdiplus.dll..
                            I just had a second look to make sure, under XP SP2 I can only see
                            a gdi32.dll, no gdiplus.dll.

>> So version will the projector load first?
                            >Normally, the dll located in the system32 folder.
                            >It's easy to test yourself:
                            >Assuming you have copied the dll in the projector's path, on win2000
                            >-unlike xp/vista- you should be getting an "access denied" error
                            >when trying to delete the dll while the projector is running.

thnxs I tried this on XP and didn't get a "access denied" error so I can assume
                            my projector is not loading this dll.

• 11. Re: Windows 2000 Error
                              Necromanthus Level 2
                              quote:

>> To use Windows 2000 in june 2008 is something quite ... strange.

Hello necromanthus,
                              unfortunately many still do, especially large global corporations.

Hmmm ... in fact, most of the (large) global corporations are "forced" to use Windows Vista these days.
                              On the top of that, Windows 2000 (with SP4 or not) is less secure than XP-SP3 and Vista-SP1.
                              Not to mention the lack of support from Microsoft (Windows 2000 is a dead OS).
                              Anyway ... did you read (carefully) that MS article?
                              If that didn't fix your issue, try to install NET Framework (and the gdiplus.dll security update).

cheers

• 12. Re: Windows 2000 Error
                                Level 7
                                necromanthus wrote:
                                in fact, most of the (large) global corporations are "forced" to use
                                > Windows Vista these days.

I don't know about most, but I do know that as of two years ago at
                                least, my previous employer, which was a large global corporation, had
                                at least a few computers still running Windows 98 because there is a
                                custom app that was needed and the developer had left the company years
                                ago. The app did not work on anything higher than 98. It was a weird
                                16 bit DOS-based application and it would simply not run on anything NT
                                based.

The simple fact is that regardless of the security issues or whatever
                                you think corporate IT at these companies thinks or wants, there are old
                                machines out there.
                                • 13. Re: Windows 2000 Error
                                  Necromanthus Level 2
                                  quote:

Originally posted by: Mike Blaustein

my previous employer, which was a large global corporation, had
                                  at least a few computers still running Windows 98 because there is a
                                  custom app that was needed and the developer had left the company years
                                  ago. The app did not work on anything higher than 98. It was a weird
                                  16 bit DOS-based application and it would simply not run on anything NT
                                  based.

That's true Mike.
                                  I know (big) companies using few obsolete computers with Win98 because of FOXPRO - DOS version and other ancient apps.
                                  But that doesn't change the main fact: XP-SP2 represents about 90% of the users.
                                  Also, Microsoft is pushing big bucks to promote Vista.

cheers
                                  • 14. Re: Windows 2000 Error
                                    pvansch Level 1
                                    quote:

quote:

But that doesn't change the main fact: XP-SP2 represents about 90% of the users.
                                    Also, Microsoft is pushing big bucks to promote Vista.

cheers

Hello necromanthus, this is probably a little off topic from my original post and I appreciate
                                    your opinion & personal experience in these matters. However your quote of a 90% XP-SP2
                                    install base and marketing of Vista doesn't really mean much to me as a developer
                                    and this particular problem.

I use Director and a bunch of other RAD tools to develop specific solutions as requested by clients.
                                    So depending on what sector they work in (advertising, creative agency, IT, finance, education)
                                    I find the hardware, OS and installed plugins vary significantly.

I have managed to track down this GDI+ dll and get something working but I don't understand
                                    whether this is a problem Adobe should be looking into?
                                    Is this an isolated problem just with my clients?
                                    Adobe have listed Windows 2000 as a supported playback platform so why this error now
                                    and yet Director MX 2004 doesn't generate this error?

Overall it just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me in their QA for this release.

• 15. Re: Windows 2000 Error
                                      Level 7
                                      To sum it up..
                                      Director MX04 was built with win9x playback support in mind. Dir11 was built
                                      for XP+.
                                      Gdi+ is not a part of the standard 2000 installation, but is probable to
                                      find it on an OS machine - added during the installation of some app.
                                      So, if you found some docs that include w2k in the playback compatibility
                                      list, I guess that someone added it there without testing on a clean 2K
                                      installation. The official site, however, states XP SP2+ / Vista, as minimum
                                      OS.
                                      http://www.adobe.com/products/director/systemreqs/

Btw, I also find dropping 2k support to be a bad move.
                                      They could do it 'officially', to be on the safe side.
                                      But losing 2k in order to use gdi+? And when already having the image I/O
                                      code from previous versions?
                                      Necromanthus has good reason to ignore any machine that doesn't have a
                                      descent 3D card installed.
                                      However, 3D/games is not the only thing that director can be used for.
                                      And having the companies with the machines you mentioned in mind, I am
                                      trying to retain 98/NT compatibility on certain apps I'm building, whenever
                                      possible.

"pvansch" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                      news:g352c5$1da$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >
                                      quote:

>
                                      quote:

>
                                      > But that doesn't change the main fact: XP-SP2 represents about 90% of the
                                      > users.
                                      > Also, Microsoft is pushing big bucks to promote Vista.
                                      >
                                      > cheers
                                      >

>
                                      > Hello necromanthus, this is probably a little off topic from my original
                                      > post
                                      > and I appreciate
                                      > your opinion & personal experience in these matters. However your quote of
                                      > a
                                      > 90% XP-SP2
                                      > install base and marketing of Vista doesn't really mean much to me as a
                                      > developer
                                      > and this particular problem.
                                      >
                                      > I use Director and a bunch of other RAD tools to develop specific
                                      > solutions as
                                      > requested by clients.
                                      > So depending on what sector they work in (advertising, creative agency,
                                      > IT,
                                      > finance, education)
                                      > I find the hardware, OS and installed plugins vary significantly.
                                      >
                                      > I have managed to track down this GDI+ dll and get something working but I
                                      > don't understand
                                      > whether this is a problem Adobe should be looking into?
                                      > Is this an isolated problem just with my clients?
                                      > Adobe have listed Windows 2000 as a supported playback platform so why
                                      > this
                                      > error now
                                      > and yet Director MX 2004 doesn't generate this error?
                                      >
                                      > Overall it just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me in their QA for
                                      > this
                                      > release.
                                      >
                                      >
                                      >

• 16. Re: Windows 2000 Error
                                        yupieyi Level 1
                                        Win xp was workin fine when my company decided to go for vista.. all i get is a few visual tricks and a drain on system resources. This might not be too relevant to this topic, but i feel that jus cuz a new product is released, that doesnt give enough reason to discontinue support for earlier versions. Thousands of people still rely on 2000.