4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 3:02 AM by JoanaBCunha

Importing swf into catalyst

JoanaBCunha

Hello everyone. Pardon my english, i'

ll try my best. I'm looking into flash catalyst, already developed some components for a

fellow co-worker/programmer to use in a website we're developing. My main complaint , seen

as i'm used to flash, is that i can't import more complex animations from flash into catalyst. Say i wanted

a button with a complex animation or a window to open with the use os masks and stuff.

I'm able to import the swf into catalyst with no problems but then the swf only plays once and if i wanted to do an intricate animation of a window opening i still don't know a way to say to the swf to play again from the correct position (or event for a second time! it just plays once!).

could anyone tell me what to do, or what can i do, if i can do anything at all besides waiting for the non-beta version with (hopefully) all the bug fixes?

PS. For the developers of catalyst : How about letting us eddit the code? how about costum interactions? how about being able to edit stuff directly in flash, like more intricate animations?! how about creating a project library as it happens in flash!? or allowing 2 projects to be opend at the same time! Or allow components in a depper level to comunicate to the parents? or a simple duplicate layer would be helpfull! Or a tint filter or a desaturation one? Or adding components  like a combo box or a dynamic text field. Or how about a hit state for buttons seen as buttons made of text only recognize de text area as a hit area..............and the list goes on, and on.....

• 1. Re: Importing swf into catalyst
          Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Hi Joana,

Thank you for your feedback. First regarding controlling imported animations from Flash:

You can use the timeline to play, stop, and pause an embeded swf. If you have a transition or action sequence selected in the Timeline, you can then select the swf and choose Add Action > SWF Control > Play / Stop / Go to and Play / Pause to control playback.

Here's an example on how to make clicking on a button play a swf from a specific frame:

1. Import a Flash animation into Catalyst

2. Create a button

3. With the button selected choose "Add Interaction"

4. Choose "On Click, Play Action Sequence" in the Add Interaction dialog. Click ok.

The new action sequence is now selected in the timeline.

5. Select the embeded swf, then in the Timeline choose Add Action > SWF Control > Go to frame and Play

A new action bar is added to the timleline

6. With the bar selected, go to the Properties inspector. Here you can adjust what frame to start on

> How about letting us edit the code?

This was one of the hardest things to cut for 1.0. We realize how important this is to customers and will be enabling this in the future. We have to make the tool robust to all types of edits users can make to code, so its a big feature for us to tackle.

>  how about costum interactions?

Do you mean an interactions specified via code? If you use action sequences, you can build more complex things other than "play transition to state", "play video" etc.

> how about being able to edit stuff directly in flash, like more intricate animations?!

I'd like to see the Flash and Catalyst animation model become more consistant as well, so that motion paths can be shared. Great idea.

> how about creating a project library as it happens in flash!?

The closest thing to this right now is the ability to export your components in one project as an "fxpl" file. They can then be imported into other Catalyst projects for reuse

> or allowing 2 projects to be opend at the same time!

Yes, definitely useful

> Or allow components in a depper level to comunicate to the parents?

The best way to do this is via event dispatch and listening, that way the tool doesn't introduce hard dependencies from child to parent. This turned out to be a big feature to get right for 1.0, so we limited it so that a component can only change the states of its direct children.

or a simple duplicate layer would be helpfull! Or a tint filter or a desaturation one? Or adding components  like a combo box or a dynamic text field. Or how about a hit state for buttons seen as buttons made of text only recognize de text area as a hit area..............and the list goes on, and on.....

All great ideas as well. We do track all your feedback and appreciate your input!

-Ty

• 2. Re: Importing swf into catalyst
            JoanaBCunha Level 1

Thanks Ty for the rapid response!!!

I'm still banging my head on the wall cause the SWF controls don't seem to be working!!

I've got Vista 64bit version, could it be it???

The SWF just plays (not that i tell it to), and I can't seem to do anything about it, no control whatsoever. I've tryed your example and it still doesn't work. Iv'e also tryed a different tutorial i found here and got the same results....it's realy frustrating

Please Ty! Save me!!!!

PS.:Besides "play", "stop", "pause", "gotoAndPlay", it would be great to ad a "At animation end play transition to state" or something like that (or maybe able flash to "read" catalyst states? - i'm no programmer!! so i dunno)

• 3. Re: Importing swf into catalyst
              Tetra1984

Just wanted to revive this thread to see if Joana figured out how to control a swf movie. I'm having similar troubles. I have a swf movie that i want the ability to play/pause at will. but I can only seem to start and stop it - but then I can't restart it.  Where is the pause feature in the swf control menu? This seems like it should be easy, but I can't figure it out

Can someone help??

Thanks,
              Paul

• 4. Re: Importing swf into catalyst
                JoanaBCunha Level 1

Sorry Tetra...

As you can see the post is quite old and the answer given wasn't helpfull. My only advice is to leave Catalyst alone and start using Flash. Thankfully i've changed employers and my new ones let me play in flash. I am sorry to say that, tough helpfull for people who have trouble using more advanced flash and that are more in the design sector, Catalyst is still a work in progress. But i'm not up to par on he subject.

Hope you find you're answer soon.