7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2010 9:32 AM by michaelibrown

Adobe CS3 installation problem in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Bryan Chilcher Level 1

I cannot install Adobe CS3 Production Premium in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (fresh clean install). I have tried everything, including turning off the anti-virus software. It just pops up asking if I want to allow the installer to make changes to Windows, etc and when I click yes it just closes and does nothing... Has anyone been able to get CS3 installed in Windows 7?

The only reason I have a fresh install is because my Ultra CS3 that I had loaded in addition to CS4 package timed out after 30 days and I really need to get access to Ultra CS3 to finish this project. I was planning installing just one app (maybe Photoshop CS3) from the CS3 install so that I can enter my CS3 Production Premium reg info in the system so tat Ultra CS3 will work. I can just start over and do another 30 days with the Ultra in DEMO mode (it does not tell you it's running in demo mode by the way!) and finish this project, but I was looking for a more permanent solution. Once I put CS4 back on, the CS3 package installed over it...

Does anyone knw what to do in this situation? i.e. Could I install it into a Windows XP Pro 32-bit edition and perform and UPGRADE to Windows 7?

Has anyone else ran into this inability to install CS3 in Windows 7? I am running the CS3 install from the Adobe folder on the desktop that it maes when you run the files downloaded from Adobe.com - I get nothing. The task manager shows something open for a split second and then closes right away?! This is very frustrating.  I have even run the CS3 clean script just in case. Any help would be appreciated!

-BC

• 1. Re: Adobe CS3 installation problem in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
          Bryan Chilcher Level 1

I think the program that opens briefly in PROCESSES is called dllhost.exe  I did a quick screen grab and it is the only thing that isn't there after one drops off the list. It happens very fast.

• 2. Re: Adobe CS3 installation problem in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Ultra CS3 timing out after 30 days and reverting to trial status is a known issue. What you need to do is install one of the key applications from CS3 (I installed Flash CS3 because of the small footprint) and then reinstall Ultra. It will remain fully operational after this step.

• 3. Re: Adobe CS3 installation problem in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
              Bryan Chilcher Level 1

Harm,

Thanks. I have read all about the known issue with Ultras CS3. if you read my original post, that is exactly what I am trying to do. I cannot install CS3. The installation SETUP.EXE does nothing.

• 4. Re: Adobe CS3 installation problem in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
                Bryan Chilcher Level 1

As a workaround, can anyone provide the a CS3 registry tags that tell Windows that Ultra CS3 is looking for- MINUS your reg. code of course...

I am thinking maybe I can paste my reg code in the registry somehow so Ultra can find it?!

Harm?

• 5. Re: Adobe CS3 installation problem in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Since upgrading from Vista to Win7 I had not yet installed Ultra, so this seemed like a good moment to try my own advise. It worked without any problem. If it does not work in your case, something else is wrong.

• 6. Re: Adobe CS3 installation problem in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
                    Matt Petersen Level 3

Bryan, my install of CS3 Master Collection onto Win 7 Ultimate went without drama, so something is afoot at your end.

Let me say this though: I recently downloaded the Master Collection CS4 trial to take it for a spin: the downloader proceeded without incedent and finished in due course. However, when I tried to kick off the installer, no joy. nada.

I read on some other forum that IE on Windows 7 could be at fault and may cause the downloaded file to be corrupt.

I re-tried the download with Firefox (goodbye quota) and away it went without any complaint. (Adobe reccomend the same course of action in a KB)

Whether this could be in any way related seems unlikley but is probably worth a shot.

Matthew

• 7. Re: Adobe CS3 installation problem in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
                      michaelibrown

i had issues installing cs4 products, my reponse to others with cs4 issues may help you:

i see 216 others have posted questions on this issue on this forum from searching "setup.exe", including myself, so i'm just responding to the recent ones.

i recently downloaded trails of flash cs4 and web premium package cs4 (took a day to download at high speed starbuck's internet). couldnt get the setup.exe to work or the uninstaller to work. surfing tech support over next couple weeks to try various agents was useless and expensive until i finally reached someone with useful info. all the agents had foriegn accents and read from scripts and web support pages until yesterday, when i reached a guy who told me two things i'll report to various forums addressing this same issue:

1. download the "windows install clean up" program from window's website (google: windows install cleanup) to uninstall everything adobe. then go through your folders to erase any adobe remnants. this program is different from the uninstaller that doesnt work in the programs and features area of the control panel when you try to uninstall adobe products from there.

2. windows explorer 8, the newest version, DOES NOT download adobe software properly and leaves things out, causing all sorts of issues including the setup.exe program not working. download firefox browser from mozella (google: firefox) and use it for all adobe downloads. apparently the old windows explorer 7 will work, but if you already have explorer 8 installed its easiest to just use firefox.

i'm spending the next couple days downloading the 4.14 G web premium trail with firefox and will report if this works.