4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2010 2:33 PM by Ledboots50210

Capture Device Offline

Ledboots50210

I have recently purchased an ACER Aspire 5735Z laptop and have installed Adobe Premiere Elements 3 on it.  I have also purchased a firewire express card and firewire to dv cable in order to connect my Canon MV700 Mini DV Camcorder.  When I insert my express card in the slot, my device manager tells me that my 'IEEE 1394 Host Controller' is working properly.  However, my camcorder does not appear in device manager (camcorder is powered on and switched to playback mode).  When I attempt to 'Get media from DV camcorder' within Prem Ele 3, I get the message 'Capture Device Offline'.  I have looked at the online help pages and attempted to change capture settings but it doesn't make any difference.  I would be really grateful for any help with this problem.

• 1. Re: Capture Device Offline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

My first step would be the tips in this FAQ Entry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Capture Device Offline
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure you can capture through this express card.

I think you'll need a true FireWire connection in order for Premiere Elements to recognize it.

Are you able to recognize the camcorder and capture through Windows MovieMaker?

• 3. Re: Capture Device Offline
              Ledboots50210 Level 1

Hunt

When I connect my camcorder to my laptop, I get the bing-bong noise but no

icon in the taskbar.  Also, when I try to import within Windows Moviemaker,

the message 'Import video could not find a compatible digital video device.

Verify that the digital video device is properly connected and turned on'.

I have since connected a friend's Sony Mini DV camcorder to my laptop using

exactly the same method.  As soon as the device was switched to playback, it

instantly appeared in the taskbar and within device manager.  I was able to

import video within Windows Moviemaker, but using Premiere Elements 3 I

still got the message 'Capture Device Offline'.

It has been suggested that I need to install drivers for my Canon MV700 but

it never came with a cd.  I have checked online and have only been able to

find a driver download for XP and not Vista.

• 4. Re: Capture Device Offline
                Ledboots50210 Level 1

I have since connected a friend's Sony Mini DV camcorder to my laptop using

exactly the same method.  As soon as the device was switched to playback, it

instantly appeared in the taskbar and within device manager.  I was able to

import video within Windows Moviemaker, but using Premiere Elements 3 I

still got the message 'Capture Device Offline'.

It has been suggested that I need to install drivers for my Canon MV700 but

it never came with a cd.  I have checked online and have only been able to

find a driver download for XP and not Vista.