7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2010 8:42 AM by rdnelson

AVCHD, mpeg 2 and .m2t

owa1n

Hi

Please forgive my ignorance...

I have a JVC HD-30 and recorded my holiday footage in mpeg2.  I used PRE7 to edit and have exported to create HD .m2t files - 3 files of around 10GB each.  They play in great quality on my pc but I want to see them on my tv.

I have a Panasonic tv that can play video files of a SD card but it will only play AVCHD files. I don't have a blu ray player.

Before I pay out on a very high memory SD video card, what do I need to do to play the holiday files on my tv? 

I'm assuming that .m2t aren't AVCHD - can I export to create a different file?  Can I simply rename the files or do I need to do something else?

Thank you for your help.

0wa1n

• 1. Re: AVCHD, mpeg 2 and .m2t
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can export as an MP4, which is similar to the format AVCHD uses.

Does it need to be a true AVCHD, or is it capable of playing MP4s and hi-def MOVs?

I'm not familiar with this TV, so you're going to have to fill us in on the specs. I've never heard of a TV you can plug an SD card directly into.

• 2. Re: AVCHD, mpeg 2 and .m2t
            owa1n Level 1

Hi Steve

It's a Panasonic Viera 1080p 32" tv.  I've searched the web and it says the tv can only play AVCHD video files from the SD card (it has an SD card slot, already tested and the tv shows photos from a SD card no problem).

I'm in process of exporting my videos from PRE7 using the H.264 1920x1080 30 setting.  It's going to take an age but by tomorrow morning I should have a file that can play on the SD card.  Thanks for the advice as I did not even think to export using a different setting - total novice here!

One question though... will the resulting file using the H.264 1920x1080 30 setting be of poorer quality than the .m2t files??

0wa1n

• 3. Re: AVCHD, mpeg 2 and .m2t

You shouldn't see a discernable difference in video quality between the two formats.

Meantime, can I suggest that you create a short, test project to test the workflow rather than putting hours into creating an epic that may or may not work?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: AVCHD, mpeg 2 and .m2t
                rdnelson Level 2

I agree with Steve's approach with a very small project.  You may also consider using a smaller capacity (and cheeper or possibly already existing) SD card for the initial tests.

I have a Samsung HDTV that is supposed to play a variety of formats.  I can't get it to work properly.  I can get certain AVI files to play through the network but cannot get them to play through the USB port.  My M2T files play through either the network or USB port but at the incorrect aspect ratio.  I'm not sure if this is an issue with the decoder on the TV or if it is the generated files.  I hear Samsung is very picky on the file formats...

In any case I have given up for now after many very small failed projects.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: AVCHD, mpeg 2 and .m2t
                  owa1n Level 1

I have exported one of the videos on the H.264 1920 x 1080 30 setting and the file extension is the same... .m2t.  So are AVCHD files also .m2t files, or am I missing something?

0wa1n

• 6. Re: AVCHD, mpeg 2 and .m2t

Have you tried it on your TV? That's the acid test.

I don't know if Premiere Elements can export a true AVCHD file.

• 7. Re: AVCHD, mpeg 2 and .m2t
                      rdnelson Level 2

I would suggest you read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC.

AVCHD is actually quite a bit of things.  It use H.264 for video compression (which is MPEG-4 and not MPEG-2).  It uses the MPEG transport stream (where M2t comes from) as a mechanism to deliver at least the video and audio content.

So when the TV states it supports AVCHD it might mean that the memory stick needs to be in a format as described in the AVCHD wiki topic???  Try putting the generated MT2 files under /PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDVM/STREAM on the memory stick to see what happens.

Please note I am no expert on this and have not tried this with your particular setup so I hope I am not steering you in the wrong directly.