5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 4:23 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Beyond the Realms of AE?

deakant Level 1

Hi all,

curious if AE could make this footage, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQcVllWpwGs&feature=fvst

If  it can, what would you use to create this footage?

Thank you

josel

• 1. Re: Beyond the Realms of AE?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AE is completely capable of the compositing, but you'll need a very good 3D app, motion capture or very experienced animators to pull off the dancing, some great modeling chops and top end 3D lighting and texturing skills to create the babies at the same level of believability. It will also take a great deal of planning to shoot the background plates in a way that can be motion tracked and integrated with the 3D animations so that they will work. In addition, the probably shot real baby faces to be projection mapped on the 3D models. Throw in some more planning, previz work, and storyboarding to get that to work.

I would guess duplicating this kind of an effect would take about 100 man hours (ten people working for a day or 1 person working for ten days) for every 10 seconds providing you already have the experience, software, and hardware to put the whole thing together.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Beyond the Realms of AE?
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As Rick said, the compositing is doable in AE, but there's a lot more than compositing in this piece.  The real work is in the 3D animation and motion tracking that animation into the footage.  Here's a short behind-the-scenes video of the green-screen shoot of the babies:

It doesn't give away much, but basically I think the baby footage is just used for faces which are then mapped to animated 3D bodies.  The footage is probably also used to track/emulate the baby's motion and movements, but I doubt much of what we eventually see is actual baby limbs or bodies.

A job like this was probably composited in Inferno, as many high-end TVCs are, but there's no reason it couldn't have been done in AE.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Beyond the Realms of AE?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It doesn't give away much, but basically I think the baby footage is just used for faces which are then mapped to animated 3D bodies.

Agreed.

but I doubt much of what we eventually see is actual baby limbs or bodies.

In some places they are the real deal. You can see that some stuff is just 3D layers turned upside down or sideways. Still, most of it certainly involved 3D and/or elaborate patching, stitching, warping and morphing in 2D. It's not so much that you couldn't do it at all in AE (plus any 3D program), but the level of work required is enormous. that short clip alone probabbly kept 50 people busy for 3 months...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Beyond the Realms of AE?
                deakant Level 1

Thank you guys, very interesting what you can achieve these days. Suppose 7-10yrs ago if you thought of this you would have been laughed at.

josel

• 5. Re: Beyond the Realms of AE?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There's a real VFX breakdown of this on the website of Motion Picture Company.

http://www.moving-picture.com/index.php/component/content/article/35/648.html