29 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 4:04 PM by cyber0897

custom fontfamily still not working :(

cyber0897 Level 1

hey guys... so i have a repeat question again... ive been trying to get a custo font family to work... but it dosent seem to be working at all...

in my style tag i have

@font-face{
                  src: url("fonts/DINOT-Bold.otf");
                  fontFamily: dinB;
                  fontWeight:bold;
                  embedAsCFF:true;
              }

and in a class i do

.tobBarMainNav{

fontFamily:dinB;

}

and it dosent seem to be working at all...

i have included the fonts in the attachment if you guys would like to try it out..

i was trying to change the "DINNOT-Bold.otf" and use Areal.otf.. but i wasnt able to find an otf file for ariel...

any help is greatly appretiated!!

thank you in advance

• 1. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
          Peter deHaan Level 4

I don't have that font, but I tried with a different .OTF font on my machine and it worked fine for me (Flex SDK 4.0.0.13210):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
          <s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009" 
                         xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark" 
                         xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx">

<fx:Style>
                  @namespace s "library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark";
                  @namespace mx "library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx";

@font-face{
                      src: url("fonts/ACaslonPro-Bold.otf");
                      fontWeight: bold;
                      embedAsCFF: true;
                  }

.tobBarMainNav{
                      fontSize: 92;
                  }
              </fx:Style>

<s:Button label="Spark Button" styleName="tobBarMainNav" x="20" y="20" height="200" />

</s:Application>

Peter

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
            cyber0897 Level 1

hmm... weird... lol i dont understand why its not working...

when i use font im supposed to have the letters which looks like the picture1 in my attachments... instead it looks like picture2

ive included the font im using too can you try that see why thats not working please?

Thank you soo much

• 3. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
              Peter deHaan Level 4

My same app with your font works too:

@namespace s 'library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark';
                      @namespace mx 'library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx';

@font-face{
                          src: url('fonts/DINOT-Bold.otf');
                          embedAsCFF: true;
                      }

.tobBarMainNav{
                          fontSize: 92;
                      }

<s:Button label="LOGIN" styleName="tobBarMainNav" x="20" y="20"  />

Peter

• 4. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                cyber0897 Level 1

so your result looks like picture 1? or picture 2??

• 5. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                  Peter deHaan Level 4

picture 1.

What do you see when you run my example with the latest nightly Flex 4 SDK from http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Download+Flex+4 (4.0.0.13210)?

Peter

• 6. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                    cyber0897 Level 1

and i just barely downloaded another font called Abaddon.ttf and i tried that and that didnt work either... i still get the default font i guess... is there anything else i can try?

• 8. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                      Peter deHaan Level 4

But what happens when you run my example?

Peter

• 9. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                        Peter deHaan Level 4

That's a Flash Builder build number, not Flex SDK build number. To get your Flex SDK build number try running this code:

xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark">

<s:Button label="{mx_internal::VERSION}" />

Peter

• 10. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                          cyber0897 Level 1

oh... gotcha...

the version is: 4.0.0.10485

and i get a warning that says

"Description    Resource    Path    Location    Type
                          Data binding will not be able to detect assignments to "mx_internal::VERSION".    loginSuccess.mxml    troubleshootingLogin/src/modules/loginSuccess    line 176    Flex Problem"

• 11. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                            Peter deHaan Level 4

Yeah, it's just a warning, you can ignore it.

I'd download a recent nightly Flex 4 SDK build, that looks like the official beta2 build which is 3-4 months old. There have been a significant number of bug fixes and changes since then.

Peter

• 12. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                              cyber0897 Level 1

hmm k, so get the 4.0.0.13210 build?

• 13. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                Peter deHaan Level 4

Yes, and there may be several API renames and other changes you'll need to make to your project since your current SDK is fairly out of date.

I like to grab a new nightly SDK build every week or so to stay current.

Peter

• 14. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                  cyber0897 Level 1

danget! so i going to have to change a lot of things then?

is there a way the software automatically do that? or is there a place i can find all the changes?

• 15. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                    cyber0897 Level 1

and also, how do i install the nightly build?? i downloaded the 4.0.0.13210, the adobe flex sdk... i dont see a dmg file anywhere...?

• 16. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                      John Hall Level 4

Shouldn't need a dmg. If you download the nightly build zip file from

http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Download+Flex+4

You can uncompress it to the sdk subfolder of Flash Builder 2 Beta. I usually keep the 3.4 and 4.0 sdks as they are and I have a folder that I call 4.1 to which I unzip the latest nightly builld. Then under the Projects settings, change the compiler to 4.1 (you may need to add it to the list clicking on the link at the upper right).

I don't have my mac here right now but the sdk should be easy to find in the applications/flashbuilder 2 beta/sdks folder on a mac (or something along those lines).

Probably the biggest 'gotcha' for me when I first started using the nighty builds was that the mx namespace has changed from

xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/halo

to

xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx

but that's just a global search and replace.

• 17. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                        cyber0897 Level 1

hah yeah, that seems to have fixed a bunch of my errors... have they changed the button namespace and canvas namespace to spark?? or is it still mx??

• 18. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                          Peter deHaan Level 4

There are two Button controls; <s:Button/> and <mx:Button>

The Canvas control is still in the mx namespace; <mx:Canvas/>

Peter

• 19. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                            cyber0897 Level 1

hey peter... when i run ur code with the latest nightly build i do get the text as red, but the rollover of that text is black... i dont know how to get rid of that... i tried doing "textRollOverColor" but that didnt do the trick...

i basically need my tab to look like the one in the image i just attached to this post...

and also, after updating to the latest nightly build i changed my "halo" to "mx" all around... and now i seem to have lost the rollover functionality aswell as the video element...

i changed the video element to "videoDisplay" and it did not work...   any suggestions??

thanks peter..

• 20. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                              cyber0897 Level 1

oops.. i seem to have posted to the wrong thread... the previous post was supposed to be on

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2496402#2496402

• 21. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                                Peter deHaan Level 4

s:VideoDisplay and s:VideoPlayer work for me (4.0.0.13101):

<s:layout>
                                                        <s:VerticalLayout paddingLeft="10" paddingTop="10" />
                                                    </s:layout>

<s:VideoDisplay id="vdDsply" source="http://helpexamples.com/flash/video/water.flv" loop="true" />
                                                    <s:Label text="{vdDsply.currentTime}" />
                                                    <s:VideoPlayer id="vdPlyr" source="http://helpexamples.com/flash/video/water.flv" loop="true" />
                                                    <s:Label text="{vdPlyr.currentTime}" />

Peter

• 22. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                                  cyber0897 Level 1

well i have a video player and i skin that video player... and in the skin file i had the video element which just played videos... im assuming that the video display is basically the replacement for video element... im not sure... i might be wrong here...

but the code i have is

in the skinning file i have

<spark:VideoPlayerSkin xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
                                                                         xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" xmlns:spark="spark.skins.spark.*" width="700" height="375">
                                                      <fx:Declarations>
                                                          <!-- Place non-visual elements (e.g., services, value objects) here -->
                                                      </fx:Declarations>
                                                      <fx:Metadata>
                                                          <![CDATA[
                                                          [HostComponent("spark.components.VideoPlayer")]
                                                          ]]>
                                                      </fx:Metadata>
                                                          @namespace mx "library://ns.adobe.com/flex/halo";
                                                          @namespace spark "spark.skins.spark.*";
                                                          .linkButtonRollOver{
                                                              textRollOverColor:blue;
                                                          }
                                                      <fx:Script>
                                                          <![CDATA[
                                                              [Embed("modules/apx32/images/closeButton_rollover.png")]
                                                              private const closeRollover:Class;
                                                              [Embed("modules/apx32/images/closeButton.png")]
                                                              private const closeButton:Class;
                                                              public function playButtonClick():void{
                                                                  if(toggle.selected){
                                                                      videoElement.pause();
                                                                  }
                                                                  else
                                                                      videoElement.play();
                                                              }
                                                              public function close_rollover(event:MouseEvent):void{
                                                  //                closeImage.source = closeRollover;
                                                              }
                                                              public function close_rollout(event:MouseEvent):void{
                                                  //                closeImage.source = closeButton;
                                                              }
                                                              public function closeVideo():void{
                                                                  videoElement.stop();
                                                              }
                                                          ]]>
                                                      </fx:Script>
                                                      <s:Rect bottom="1" left="1" right="1" top="1">
                                                          <s:fill>
                                                              <s:SolidColor color="0x000000" />
                                                          </s:fill>
                                                      </s:Rect>

<s:Group>
                                                          <!--mx:Image id="closeImage" source="modules/apx32/images/closeButton.png" top="10" left="625"
                                                                    right="10" useHandCursor="true" buttonMode="true" rollOver="close_rollover(event)"
                                                                    rollOut="close_rollout(event)" click="closeVideo()"/-->
                                                          <!--s:VideoElement id="videoElement" autoPlay="true" width="700" height="350"  /-->
                                                          <s:VideoDisplay id="videoElement" autoPlay="true" width="700" height="350" />
                                                          <s:ToggleButton id="toggle" color="#ffffff" click="playButtonClick()"
                                                                          skinClass="modules.apx32.myComponents.textToggle"
                                                                          height="350" left="83" top="350"/>
                                                          <s:ScrubBar id="scrubBar" liveDragging="true" left="80" top="325" width="541"
                                                                      skinClass="modules.apx32.myComponents.scrubBarSkin" />

</s:Group>
                                                  </spark:VideoPlayerSkin>

and in the main file i have

<s:VideoPlayer id="videoPlayer" width="700" height="375"
                                                                         visible="false" skinClass="modules.apx32.myComponents.videoPlayerSkin" />

but now the video is not playing...

what i do is i get the flv path from my xml when my watchvideo button is clicked on the main file...

• 23. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                                    Peter deHaan Level 4

I always find it's best to just recopy the default Spark skins (from the latest nightly build) and make your changes over again. There may have been a variable that changed names or some other bugs fixes that got applied in the default skin.

Peter

1 person found this helpful
                                                    • 24. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                                      cyber0897 Level 1

k so im going to try to do the video element from scratch again and try to get it to work... but back to my original problem... even after updating my sdk my fontface is not working...

this is the main application code which uses the fonface heavilly...and i have attached the fonts again to this post... could you tell me if that worked for you? becuase here the font looks more like sanserif than din...

xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" minWidth="1024" minHeight="768" 
                                                                        creationComplete="init();" xmlns:apx32="modules.apx32.*" xmlns:vista="modules.vista.*"
                                                                        xmlns:panelSelection="modules.loginSuccess.*">

@namespace mx "library://ns.adobe.com/flex/halo";
                                                                @font-face{
                                                                     src: url(fonts/DINOT-Bold.otf);
                                                                     fontWeight:bold;
                                                                     embedAsCFF:true;
                                                                }

#loginPanel{
                                                                     backgroundColor:#439ed8;
                                                                     color:#e9e9e9;
                                                                }
                                                                .left72{
                                                                     paddingLeft:72;
                                                                }
                                                                .loginMessage{
                                                                     fontSize:41;
                                                                     fontLookup:embeddedCFF;
                                                                     paddingTop:56;
                                                                }
                                                                s|TextInput{
                                                                     color:#333333;
                                                                }
                                                                .loginMessageLineTwo{
                                                                     paddingTop:92;
                                                                }
                                                                .lineThree{
                                                                     x:72;
                                                                     y:115;
                                                                }
                                                                .form{
                                                                     textAlign:"left";
                                                                }
                                                                .labelStyle{
                                                                   textAlign:"left";
                                                                   fontSize:16;
                                                                }
                                                                .rememberMeBox{
                                                                   fontSize:12.5;
                                                                   textRollOverColor:#333333;
                                                                }
                                                                .loginButton{
                                                                     textRollOverColor:#333333;
                                                                     fontFamily:dinb;
                                                                     fontLookup: embeddedCFF;
                                                                }

/*error messages*/
                                                                .errorTip{
                                                                     borderColor:#ffffff;
                                                                     color:#333333;
                                                                }
                                                                s|TextInput{
                                                                     /*errorColor:"#333333";*/
                                                                }
                                                           <fx:Script>
                                                                <![CDATA[
                                                                     import mx.controls.Alert;
                                                                     import mx.events.ValidationResultEvent;
                                                                     import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;
                                                                     import mx.rpc.http.HTTPService;
                                                                     import mx.validators.PhoneNumberValidator;
                                                                     import mx.validators.StringValidator;
                                                                     import mx.validators.Validator;

private var nameValidator:StringValidator;
                                                                     private var phoneValidator:PhoneNumberValidator;
                                                                     private var arValidator:StringValidator;

private var validatorArr:Array;

private function init():void {
                                                                          /*************************************************************************************/
                                                                          //Application inits.
                                                                          currentState = 'loginSuccess';

/*************************************************************************************/
                                                                          // following are the validators for the login screen
                                                                          //(string must be two characters or longer)
                                                                          nameValidator = new StringValidator();
                                                                          nameValidator.source = lastName;
                                                                          nameValidator.property = "text";
                                                                          nameValidator.minLength = 2;

// Phone validator
                                                                          phoneValidator = new PhoneNumberValidator();
                                                                          phoneValidator.source = phoneNumber;
                                                                          phoneValidator.property = "text";

arValidator = new StringValidator();
                                                                          arValidator.source = arNumber;
                                                                          arValidator.property = "text";
                                                                          arValidator.minLength = "5";
                                                                          arValidator.maxLength = "8";
                                                                          arValidator.tooShortError = "Requires 5 - 8 digits";
                                                                          arValidator.tooLongError = "Requires 5 - 8 digits";

validatorArr = new Array();
                                                                          validatorArr.push(nameValidator);
                                                                          validatorArr.push(phoneValidator);
                                                                          validatorArr.push(arValidator);
                                                                          /****************************************************************************************/
                                                                     }

private function validateForm():void {
                                                                          var validatorErrorArray:Array = Validator.validateAll(validatorArr);;
                                                                          var isValidForm:Boolean = validatorErrorArray.length == 0;
                                                                          var prams:Object = {};

if (isValidForm) {
                                                                               //verify login
                                                                          } else {
                                                                               var err:ValidationResultEvent;
                                                                               var errorMessageArray:Array = [];
                                                                               for each (err in validatorErrorArray) {
                                                                                    var errField:String = FormItem(err.currentTarget.source.parent).label;
                                                                                    errorMessageArray.push(errField + ": " + err.message);
                                                                               }
                                                                               Alert.show(errorMessageArray.join("\n\n"), "Invalid form...", Alert.OK);
                                                                          }
                                                                     }

private function confirmUserResult(event:ResultEvent):void{
                                                                          var xmlResult:Object = event.result;
                                                                          var success:Boolean = xmlResult.firstChild.firstChild.nodeValue;
                                                                          if(success){
                                                                             currentState="apx32";
                                                                             Alert.show("LOGIN SUCCESS!!");
                                                                          }
                                                                          else
                                                                             Alert.show("Login fail");
                                                                     }

]]>
                                                           </fx:Script>

<s:states>
                                                                <s:State name="loginPage"/>
                                                                <s:State name="loginSuccess"/>
                                                                <s:State name="apx32" />
                                                                <s:State name="vista" />
                                                           </s:states>

<vista:vistaTroubleShoot name="vista" includeIn="vista" />
                                                           <apx32:apx32TroubleShoot name="apx32" includeIn="apx32" />
                                                           <panelSelection:loginSuccess name="panelSelect" includeIn="loginSuccess" />

<mx:Canvas id="loginPanel" width="975" height="375" includeIn="loginPage">
                                                                          <!--s:Label id="loginMessage" text="PLEASE LOGIN TO THE TROUBLESHOOTING SECTION" /-->
                                                                <mx:Text styleName="loginMessage left72" text="PLEASE LOGIN TO THE" />
                                                                <mx:Text styleName="loginMessageLineTwo left72" text="TROUBLESHOOTING SECTION" />
                                                                <mx:Image source="@Embed(source='images/loginMain/dottedLine.gif')"  x="75" y="142"/>
                                                                <mx:Form styleName="form left72" y="156">
                                                                     <mx:FormItem label="LAST NAME:" labelStyleName="labelStyle">
                                                                          <s:TextInput id="lastName" width="226"/>
                                                                     </mx:FormItem>
                                                                     <mx:FormItem label="PHONE NUMBER:" labelStyleName="labelStyle">
                                                                          <s:TextInput id="phoneNumber" width="226" />
                                                                     <mx:FormItem label="AR NUMBER:" labelStyleName="labelStyle">
                                                                          <s:TextInput id="arNumber" width="226" maxChars="8" restrict="0-9" />
                                                                </mx:Form>
                                                                <mx:Text text="* Please enter a 10 digit phone number with no spaces or dashes." 
                                                                           fontSize="10" x="455" y="206"/>
                                                                <!--mx:Text styleName="rememberMe" text="REMEMBER ME" x="338" y="262" /-->
                                                                <mx:CheckBox styleName="rememberMeBox" label="REMEMBER ME" labelPlacement="left" x="338" y="260"/>
                                                                <mx:LinkButton styleName="loginButton" buttonDown="validateForm()" label="LOGIN" skin="{null}"  x="317" y="281"/>

</mx:Canvas>

• 25. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                                        Peter deHaan Level 4

That example is all sorts of crazy.

1) You're trying to set some properties (x/y) as styles.

2) In one place you're using "dinB" and another "dinb".

3) Trying to use an embedded CFF font with old MX controls (try setting the embedAsCFF to false)

4) The CSS "mx" namespace is wrong. It should be "library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" and not "library://ns.adobe.com/flex/halo".

Peter

• 26. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                                          cyber0897 Level 1

oops, the x,y were not being used anywhere they were just in thre... i cant remmeber what i was trying... but i deleted it now, and i had accidently named one fontFamily to dinb.. that is now fixed as well as the mx for the css namespace...

but it still did not fix the font.. its still displaying the exact same font as before... i even tried setting the embedAsCFF to false, and still nothing

• 27. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                                            Peter deHaan Level 4

Can you break this down into a simpler case?

Are you basically just trying to get your embedded DINOT-Bold.otf font working with mx:Text, and mx:LinkButton?

Peter

• 28. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                                              Peter deHaan Level 4

Also, you only embedded a bold font face, so you need to set the fontWeight when you're trying to use the font:

@namespace mx "library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx";

@font-face{
                                                                          src: url('fonts/DINOT-Bold.otf');
                                                                          embedAsCFF: false;
                                                                      }

#loginPanel{
                                                                          backgroundColor: #439ed8;
                                                                          color: #e9e9e9;
                                                                      }

.left72{
                                                                          paddingLeft: 72;
                                                                      }

.loginMessage{
                                                                          fontSize: 41;
                                                                          paddingTop: 56;
                                                                      }

s|TextInput{
                                                                          color: #333333;
                                                                      }

.loginMessageLineTwo{
                                                                          paddingTop: 92;
                                                                      }

.form{
                                                                          textAlign: "left";
                                                                      }

.labelStyle{
                                                                          textAlign: "left";
                                                                          fontSize: 16;
                                                                      }

.rememberMeBox{
                                                                          fontSize: 12.5;
                                                                          textRollOverColor: #333333;
                                                                      }

.loginButton{
                                                                          textRollOverColor: #333333;
                                                                      }

/*error messages*/
                                                                      .errorTip{
                                                                          borderColor: #ffffff;
                                                                          color: #333333;
                                                                      }

<mx:Canvas id="loginPanel" width="975" height="375">
                                                                      <mx:Text styleName="loginMessage left72" text="PLEASE LOGIN TO THE" />
                                                                      <mx:Text styleName="loginMessageLineTwo left72" text="TROUBLESHOOTING SECTION" />

<mx:Form styleName="form" y="156">
                                                                          <mx:FormItem label="LAST NAME:" labelStyleName="labelStyle">
                                                                              <s:TextInput id="lastName" width="226"/>
                                                                          <mx:FormItem label="PHONE NUMBER:" labelStyleName="labelStyle">
                                                                              <s:TextInput id="phoneNumber" width="226" />
                                                                          <mx:FormItem label="AR NUMBER:" labelStyleName="labelStyle">
                                                                              <s:TextInput id="arNumber" width="226" maxChars="8" restrict="0-9" />
                                                                      </mx:Form>

<mx:Text text="* Please enter a 10 digit phone number with no spaces or dashes."
                                                                               fontSize="10" x="455" y="206"/>
                                                                      <mx:CheckBox styleName="rememberMeBox" label="REMEMBER ME" labelPlacement="left" x="338" y="260"/>
                                                                      <mx:LinkButton styleName="loginButton" label="LOGIN" skin="{null}"  x="317" y="281"/>

</mx:Canvas>

Peter

• 29. Re: custom fontfamily still not working :(
                                                                cyber0897 Level 1

oh my god!!! wow ... i included the             fontWeight:bold; in every style class that used

the dinB font like you suggested and that worked like a charm...

I was under the impression that once i include the fontweight in the fontface it would have applied to all the other other classes aslong as i include that fontface... that is weird...

i just went through all your previous examples and saw that you included the fontweight for every class... i just failed to see that before... wow... lol

but thank you sooo much peter i really appretiate it!!!!