13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 1:24 PM by Tvoliter

Confused!!!!

billh356

I need some help. I have downloaded Catalyst Beta 2 twice now and the HUD does not function as seen in demos. The only option available is converting objects. Also the preferences menu does not work. Have I got a bum copy or what? I have followed the intro video and get nowhere. Any ideas? I am using a Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard.

• 1. Re: Confused!!!!
          JoanaBCunha

I've heard some people with your operating system have been having problems with catalyst, but can't tell you why.

As for the hub i think that some of the tutorials are mainly for the beta 1 version and that is probably why the hub is different. My guess! Although it had more controlers.....

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Confused!!!!
            Tvoliter Adobe Employee

In beta I Interactions were created in the HUD. In Beta II interaction creation was moved to a Interactions Panel (below the layers panel).

This video was created with beta II, let me know if the interface matches:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashcatalyst/tutorials/overview/

Ty

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Confused!!!!
              billh356 Level 1

Thanks for your help I checked the video you linked and the HUD display is what I have seen in all theTutorials.  But the HUD in my software only has two selections. I have attached  pics comparing the two.  My other frustration is I will set up two states one with items visible and one with them not.  I will then try to set up the effects to fade in but that option will not be available.  The only option available is fade out. But the objects in this state are already invisible.  Also at times only some of the objects I have set up in a state will show up on the time line.  It gets down to I watch another tutorial and think I have it figured out but then something else will happen that is contrary  to the tutorial.  Thanks again for the help. I need all I can get.

• 4. Re: Confused!!!!
                billh356 Level 1

Thanks for your help I checked the video you linked and the HUD display is what I have seen in all theTutorials.  But the HUD in my software only has two selections. I have attached  pics comparing the two.  My other frustration is I will set up two states one with items visible and one with them not.  I will then try to set up the effects to fade in but that option will not be available.  The only option available is fade out. But the objects in this state are already invisible.  Also at times only some of the objects I have set up in a state will show up on the time line.  It gets down to I watch another tutorial and think I have it figured out but then something else will happen that is contrary  to the tutorial.  Thanks again for the help. I need all I can get.

• 5. Re: Confused!!!!
                  JoanaBCunha Level 1

To be able to do a fade in or a fade out you only have to change the

parameters in the properties panel. Select the fade and then, in the

properties panel you have the option "from" and "to". You just have to

change from to zero and to to 100 and you have your fade in. As for the case

of the desapearing objects it's probably because they're hided in the layers

channel. that's my guess. Go to the state where you want them to show up and

check if they are hidden in the layers panel, if not, maybe you didn't

inclued the objects when you created the component.

Hope i could help!

• 6. Re: Confused!!!!
                    Tvoliter Adobe Employee

My mistake, I realized this video is showing beta I. Sorry about the confusion.

The biggest change from beta to beta II in the UI is the Interactions section that was in the HUD moved to a Interactions Panel. In beta I you clicked the "+" to create an interaction, in beta II you click "Add Interaction" in the Interactions Panel. You should still be able to do beta 1 tutorials if you follow this mapping.

Regarding fades in transitions. In general you don't have to adjust the "alpha from" and "alpha to" properties of a Fade effect to control which way the fade goes. The Fade effect in the timeline is smart enough to do the right thing based on how you have changed the visibility or alpha of objects in states.

For example, here is how to get one object to fade in and the other to fade out.

1. Create a new Catalyst project

2. Draw two rects

3. Click "Duplicate State"

4. In Page1, toggle the eyeball for rect1 to make it invisible

In the Timeline Panel, the transition "Page 1 > Page 2" is likely selected. You should automatically see a Fade In for rect since, since rect 1 is invisible in Page 1 and visibile in Page2

5. Now go to Page2 and toggle the eyeball for rect to make it invisibile

Now you should see a Fade Out for rect2

6. Click the "Smooth Transition" button in the timeline to make the effects have a duration

7. Click the play button in the timeline (the triangle) to preview the fades

Notice that I didn't have to specify fade in or fade out. The Timeline figures that our for me based on visibility. This would also have worked if I had changed the alpha of rect rect in each state.

Ty

• 7. Re: Confused!!!!
                      Tvoliter Adobe Employee

One more comment, you asked about what objects show up in the timeline.

The answer is the objects that have differences in position, size, rotation, and visibility. Catalyst automatically adds effects to a transition when you make changes in a state. If you don't see an object in the timeline for a transition, that object is likely identical in both the "from state" and the "to state" of the transition.

Ty

• 8. Re: Confused!!!!
                        billh356 Level 1

Thanks again for your time.I undestand the principles but what gets me is what I show in my attachment. If I want just one of the Recs to fade in I don't get that option. ??? alI get is Fade out.

• 9. Re: Confused!!!!
                          Tvoliter Adobe Employee

From your picture it looks like you have two rectangles. Both are visibile in Page1 and only one is visible in Page2. You have the Page2 > Page1 transition selected which which shows "Fade Out" instead of "Fade In". This does seem wrong.

It's possibile this is just a bug with the label on the effect. If you give this effect a duration does it preview correctly? If you don't assign alpha values to the fade effect, it is supposed to be smart and do the right direction for the fade based on the visibility of the objects.

I am curious, if you perform my steps earlier in this post where I have one rect fading in and one rect fading out, what do you get?

1. draw two rects

2. hide one rect

3. duplicate state

4. show the hidden rect in Page2, hide the other rect

Do you get a "fade in" for one rect and a "fade out" for the other in the timeline?

Ty

• 10. Re: Confused!!!!
                            billh356 Level 1

Yes I did as you said and it worked fine.

But what if I only want one object to Fade in? What I am trying to do is some basic dissolves and moves by creating a Photoshop file with my objects. I then import this file as shown in the tutorials.I get all my objects as in the tutorial Imported and assigned to one Layer in Catalyst. But when I try to create transitions (as in the tutorial instructions) I keep running into this problem. I want to fade in certain elements at specific times etc. But I keep running into this no Fade in option. I also get the problem where I will setup for the fade in and a bunch of the objects I setup don't even show up on the timeline. ]I'm curious what are you using Mac or PC. I'm Mac with Snow Leopard. Could Snow Leopard be the problem?

• 11. Re: Confused!!!!
                              Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Since my example worked, I don't think you are seeing a bug. I guess I don't completely understand the problem.

Can you post the steps for a simple example of what you want you are trying to do?

In general if you want any object to Fade in then it needs to be invisible in the starting state (Page1) and visible in ending state (Page2). Once you do this and go to the transition (Page1 > Page2) in the Timeline you will see a "fade in". If you chose Page4 > Page3 you will see a "fade out"

If you want the fade in to occur right when the application starts then you can create a "On Application start play transition to Page2". This will make the object fade in when the app first loads.

Ty

• 12. Re: Confused!!!!
                                billh356 Level 1

Well I figured out my problem with everyones kind help. It was operator error in that I was not watching the left hand column of the timeline close enough. I found that at times after adding or changing an element I would be on a different page to page selection. When I started making sure I was in the right sequence for the pages to move though it worked fine. Thanks again!

• 13. Re: Confused!!!!
                                  Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Glad to hear you are back on track. Yes, the current timeline can sometimes change when you don't expect it to because the timeline always shows something related to the current state.

Just look at the icons at the top left and top right of the timeline to make sure you are editing the timeline you want to edit.

Ty