3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 8:06 AM by Mylenium

Quantum of Solace text effect

imcn_fb

I was wondering if anyone knew how i could recreate the text effect as used in the James Bond: Quantum of Solace opening credits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59TSvb6PeMs (@ 44 seconds into the video)

Any help would be much appeciated!

• 1. Re: Quantum of Solace text effect
          TimeRemapper Level 4

MK12 did a great job with this title sequence.

They could have used a variety of techniques or effects to accomplish this.

One way would be to use a combination of shape layers or masks and the write-on effect.

• 2. Re: Quantum of Solace text effect
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I was wondering if anyone knew how i could recreate the text effect as used in the James Bond: Quantum of Solace opening credits:

With a lot of patience and manual work. As Steve said, there is no simple recipe. You can create contours from text layers by using Layer --> Create Outlines, but how you take it from there is pretty much up to you. Simple reveals like on the E's ends can easily be done with a linear wipe, more complex drawing will require different approaches. It also hinges a lot on what typeface you use and how you plan on using it. If you need to use the same effect multiple times, it may go as far as pre-composing each letter and animating it in order to create an animated alphabet from which you can then assemble any text you need.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Quantum of Solace text effect
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Taking a quick look I think you could duplicate the effect by using the shapes layer as a track matte for the text then animating the shapes to produce the wipe effect. There doesn't appear to be any morphing going on, just a clever shape wipe.

This would take 2 copies of your shape layer and 2 copies of your text. The motion in the text is nothing more than position and kerning transformations.