Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make Rollover Area fade behave like Rollover Caption

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2006 Oct 11, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Is it possible to make the Rollover Area behave like the Rollover Caption?

I want to have the Caption appear to the side of the rollover area, but have a highlight box appear around the Rollover Area, so the user can read the text while visually seeing the area that's being described. Unfortunately I can't find a way to make the Rollover Area fade in and out on mouse movements.

I tried placing a second blank, transparent, Rollover Caption box on top of the original Rollover Area, but this ended up cancelling out the one that was beneath it - so all I got was the blank box on top.

Does anyone know of a way to do this in Captivate 2?

Cheers,

Malcolm.
TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malcolm

If I'm understanding you correctly, you do this by creating a larger image containing all the elements you want. You then make a good portion of the image transparent. This leaves behind only the elements you want to see.

I've placed one such example on my site for you to look at. See if this is what you are trying to do. When you click the link, you should see just a dialog. You then mouse over the fields of the dialog to see the changes.

Click here to see the example

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the example - the behaviour of the "Description" field is almost exactly what I want!

What I have is a screenshot of the UI for our program, and I want to create a single slide standalone Project where the user can rollover each element of the UI and see a description of that element.

In the example you provided, I'm after the behaviour that occurs when you rollover the "Description" field, but I want to be able to have multiples of these on the one page, and I don't need the rest of the screen to fade as it does in your example. Ideally I also want the text to appear within the boundaries of the image, instead of overlapping into white space. Do you think this is possible?

I have created "Rollover Captions" for all of the elements of the UI, and now I just want to be able to add a highlight (e.g. a red border) around those elements at the same time as the Rollover Captions are displayed.

Cheers,

Malcolm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Malcolm

Here it is in a nutshell. I created a rollover caption for that area. Position the caption exactly where you want it. Then preview it in any way that works. Either within Captivate or in the browser. While previewing, mouse over the area so you see the dialog and the caption together. Then screen capture the caption as it is displayed on top of the dialog.

Now comes the fun part! You edit the screen capture to erase what you don't need to see. This would include the dialog. However, you do want to keep part of it visible in order to create the red outline. Once you get the red outline, you can then erase all the remaining bits. What you end up with is an image that contains only the text caption and the red outline.

Now flood fill the background with a color that isn't used elsewhere. I tend to use hot pink a lot. You do this so all that area becomes transparent.

Now save the image and insert it as a rollover image! You will probably find that working this way will force you to initially grab a sizing handle on the image and scale it way tiny just so you can position and size the rollover area. But the neat part is that you can just double click the image later to get at the properties. Then click the "Reset to original size" button to "re-inflate" it back to what it should be.

With Captivate 2 this whole process should be much easier because once you get the rollover area and rollover image placed, you can then hide it by clicking the right spot in the timeline.

Hope this helped... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Yes, that helped a lot. That's a whole lot of work to get the end result I'm after, but at least I know how to do it now.

After considering my options, I think I'll do this piece of documentation with standard HTML and javascript. It will be a lot less work to achieve the same results.

It would be great to have an "only during rollover" option for the "Display for" timing in the Rollover Area Options tab in a future version of Captivate.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Malcolm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2006 Oct 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Malcolm, the best way to get this implemented is to post your request using the following link:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=15&6213=9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources