4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 12:02 PM by 4anue

How to set "burn to folder" for dvd player

4anue Level 1

Hi All,

In PE7, I'm burning video discs for playback on PC using Burn to Folder because I also included pdf files on the disc.  I've also added a Quicktime file so it will play on PC or Mac and so that pdfs can be accessed.  Each of those files work fine.

How can I also add a file that will be recognized by DVD players?  I'm using DVD-R discs which are recognized by DVD players but if I use Burn to Disc, I dont think I can add anything else to the disc as DVD-R is a one-shot disc...and I've wasted several trying to figure it out.

Thanks,

Antoinette

• 1. Re: How to set "burn to folder" for dvd player
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PrE cannot handle DVD ROM content.

However, you can Burn to Folder, located on your computer HDD, and then add the ROM content. From the DVD-Video production in PrE, you will end up with a VIDEO_TS folder, with the proper VOB's, ect. inside. Then, add another folder with your ROM content.

From this point, you would use another burning utility, like the freeware ImgBurn, to burn those folders, the VIDEO_TS and the added folder, to your disc. This would be done as a DVD-Data disc.

With ROM content, I like to have both a Title in my production, telling the user of the ROM content and how to access it on a computer, and then add that same info on the DVD case liner notes, or they may never explore the disc in Windows Explorer/My Computer, or similar.

Full-featured authoring programs, like Adobe Encore, can handle DVD ROM content in one pass.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to set "burn to folder" for dvd player
            4anue Level 1

Hi Hunt,

When you say PrE7 cannot handle DVD ROM content, does that mean the only way

to add a file that can be recognized by a DVD player is Burn to Disc?  If

you're saying I can use ImgBurn to burn a file that can be recognized by a

DVD player, please give me a little more instruction/direction...like which

file should I create in PrE that will be recognized by my DVD player and

that can then be burned to disc using ImgBurn?

I've had no problem adding the PC, Mac files and pdfs to disc using the Burn

utility that came with my computer; I was successful following your

instructions for that a while back.  Now I want to add a file that can be

recognized by DVD players and it seems the only option is Burn to Folder,

which doesn't appear to allow me to add the other content at the same time.

(My DVD player recognizes the VIDEO_TS folder but doesn't play it.)

Antoinette Nue

The Green Living Goddess

404-668-2910

www.greenlivinggoddess.com

www.theglgblog.com

Go green your way.  I insist.

• 3. Re: How to set "burn to folder" for dvd player
              the_wine_snob Level 9

When you say PrE7 cannot handle DVD ROM content, does that mean the only way to add a file that can be recognized by a DVD player is Burn to Disc?

No. To burn a DVD-Video (not talking DVD ROM material here), you can Burn to Disc, or you can Burn to Folder, and then do the physical burn with another program, like ImgBurn.

Now, if you want to add DVD-ROM content (only accessible from a computer and NOT from any DVD set-top player), you will need to do the Burn to Folder (for the DVD-Video material, i.e. your movie, which can be played from a computer via a DVD software player, or on a set-top player), and then manually add the DVD ROM material folder in Windows. From there, you can use a utility, like ImgBurn to do the physical burn of both the VIDEO_TS folder and the folder with the ROM content. Remember, that ROM content folder will NOT be available from any DVD set-top player, only from a computer.

The VIDEO_TS folder will have the proper structure and files for playback on either the computer, or a set-top player.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How to set "burn to folder" for dvd player
                4anue Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Sounds good in theory but it's not working out that way for me; my DVD

player is not reading the VIDEO_TS file.  When I put the disc in the DVD

player, the menu I created does not open.  Instead, I see a white box with

the words VIDEO_TS and Resources (the pdf folder). 

Nothing happens when I click on VIDEO_TS.  Is there a chant I must repeat or

must I sit facing due West?  Ha Ha

When I Burn to Folder, the system creates another file in addition to the

VIDEO_TS folder but the PC doesn't recognize the two folders, only the

VIDEO_TS, so I added only the VIDEO_TS to the disc and it works fine on the

PC.  Should I try adding the other folder that is created with the VIDEO_TS

- is my DVD player searching for that other folder whereas my PC only

searches for/recognizes the VIDEO_TS?

Or, might ImageBurn code or somehow treat the VIDEO_TS file differently so

it will play on a DVD player? 

Thanks,

Antoinette

Antoinette Nue

The Green Living Goddess

404-668-2910

www.greenlivinggoddess.com

www.theglgblog.com

Go green your way.  I insist.