10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 12:44 PM by OregonWebfoot

new user with a few questions

OregonWebfoot

Have recently started to using PrE 3 after the purchase of an new HD camcorder, miniDV storage media.  Have run into a couple things I’m not sure of.  Is it my setup or a real issue?  *  Have noted when using transitions on a file that has been edited and clips moved around, the transition includes frames from unedited portion of the video and not next clip in the edited order.  Have noticed this mostly on cross-dissolves.  Is this normal?  If yes has it been addressed in later versions?  * Any improvements in newer releases on deleting projects and all the various files that could be in numerous locations, over having to do this manually?  *  Recently upgraded my CPU and memory and was expecting noticeable improvement in rendering times.  What I see is PrE is only using ~ 55- 60% CPU capabilities.  A few days ago I noted with 2 operations going on at same time CPU usage was in the high 80’s (don‘t recall second app being used at the time).  While rendering I see <1.5G of memory in use.  Not sure of what could be the bottle neck if this is a computer issue.  Anyway to give PrE a kick in the butt and have it go a little faster?  Have been working with files that run ~ 30-45 min and is taking ~ 4-5 hrs to render.  I suspect a good portion of the time is dedicated to down conversion from HD to SD as I don’t have a Blu-ray burner.  Source file on ext HHD and temp files going to C:  * Last item for now.  After reading on this forum I DL’d MPEG-streamclip and gave it a try at converting MPEG format to AVI.  When doing the conversion to AVI, I see several frame sizes, with one being the native format for the file, 1440 x 1080 and saying "not scaled".  What I see as an output has been rescaled to 4:3 format.  Only way I can keep the wide screen format is to select 1920 x 1080.  Time to convert is 3-4 hrs and I suspect much of that is due to format scaling.  Shouldn’t selecting the frame size with no scaling result in same wide screen output and a lot quicker than I’m seeing?  Any comment appreciated.  TIA  Computer: AMD Athlon x2 5600 Brisbane 3G memory PC 5300 1T ext HDD via 1394/Fierwire

• 1. Re: new user with a few questions
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's a lot to cover in one post, Oregon. Sure you don't want to spread that out over a few questions?

I'm not sure what you're saying with your question about transitions. You could be describing one of two things:

1) All transitions require head and tail material, beyond your cut point, to create the transition. If, when you add a transition, you're seeing clips reappear that you thought you'd trimmed off, that's likely what's happening.

or

2) If you're finding a random clip appearing that is unrelated to the clips on either side of it, you may have a rogue clip floating around. To see if this is the case, positing the CTI playhead where you're seeing the clip and zoom in (press +) until you can see this rogue clip. Then select and delete it.

• 2. Re: new user with a few questions
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an example of the Handles (those extra Frames that you must allow, before and after you In & Out Points). This is a somewhat abstract concept at first, but what you are seeing tells us that your Handles are not adequate.

Handles_01.jpg

Handles_02.jpg

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: new user with a few questions
              OregonWebfoot Level 1

Still trying to figure out how this forum software works.

Bill, not sure I've got my head wrapped around your examples.  I thank I know what is happening, during the transitions the app is taking from the previous clip and using some frames from the original video that follow the clip end point instead of using frames from the beginning point of the next clip as they are currently arranged.  Seems to me it would be that hard coding the transitions to use end and beginning points as arranged to apply the transition.  Maybe I'm still not understanding how things work.

I think from both of your comments, what I'm seeing is how the prgm works but don't think it is the smart way.

Oh, want to think both of your from your prompt replies.  Does one always receive an e-mail when replies are offered?

If I'm not being clear maybe this example will help.

Have clips A, B, C, D and rearrange so clip D follows clip A, I don't want to see part of clip B as part of the transition and that is what I'm seeing.

Any comment on the other things I asked about?

• 4. Re: new user with a few questions

Again, you're not telling us enough so that we know why B is following A in your cut.

Is it a segment you trimmed from A that is re-appearing after you apply a transition or is it an entirely separate clip that's mysteriously appearing?

The system of using head and tail material to create your transitional segment is pretty standard for virtually every profession style video editing program. It's certainly not an error in coding -- it's the way it's designed to work.

The only other way to do it is the way programs like Sony Vegas do it -- in which your clip gets shortened and part of the actual clip is used to create the transition rather the program using a head or tail. And that's something I definitely wouldn't like. If I put down a 5 second clip, I want it to be 5 seconds long -- not suddenly 4 seconds long after I had my transition. But I guess that's a matter of preference.

• 5. Re: new user with a few questions
                  OregonWebfoot Level 1

Sorry if I'm not being clear enough.  I'm thinking simple compilation and looks like others are think more complex situations.

Source is a single video file that has been split up into separate clips and rearranged.  Nothing has been deleted.

The fact I see a few frames from clip B when applying a transition between the rearranged order, A, D, strikes me as a poor way to implement the transition.  That may be the way it is implemented and I may have to live with it but at this point I don't know if seeing the frames from clip B is the way things are intended to work.

• 6. Re: new user with a few questions

I'm not sure what to tell you. As I've said, this is the way virtually all professional-style video editors work, and this is by design because most editors prefer not to lose part of their video when they add a transition.

The solution, as Hunt says, is to trim back enough of your clip's footage to allow for that half second of head or tail material.

As an alternative, as I've said, you can look into Sony Vegas, in which you create transitions by overlapping your clips -- which means that, the longer the transition, the shorter the clip. But if it's your preferred workflow, you may want to look into it.

Premiere Elements, like Premiere Pro, Final Cut and Avid, use the head and tail method of creating transitions, and it's unlikely Premiere Elements is going to do it any other way in the future.

• 7. Re: new user with a few questions
                      Ed.Macke Level 3

If I may, I'd like to jump on the bandwagon of not liking how Premiere does it.

Generally, my workflow is to put my clips on the timeline and trim them to exactly (many times to the exact frame) where I want them to end. Then when I put a transition on, Premiere is suddenly using material I specifically did not want!

Another (minor) annoyance is that I can never see what footage the transition will use until I actually apply the transition.

Also, I, personally think it's fairly counter-intuitive: it's confusing when Premiere is using deleted and unseen footage to do transitions. How many confused users have posted about that very thing? Add to that the fact that it behaves differently when there's no leading/trailing material to "borrow" for the transition.

I doubt there would be many questions if it was done the other way around. IMHO.

However, having said all that, after learning the nuances of how it works, it wasn't that hard to adjust my workflow. But I don't have to like it (where's the "tantrum" emoticon?)!

• 8. Re: new user with a few questions

Well said, Ed.

• 9. Re: new user with a few questions
                          Paul787 Level 3
                          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

OregonWebfoot wrote:

The fact I see a few frames from clip B when applying a transition between the rearranged order, A, D, strikes me as a poor way to implement the transition. 

When you rearrange your split clips as A, D, C, B, are you certain you are seeing a few frames from clip B and not actually the tail end of Clip A?

I experimented with this a few times in Premiere Elements and it can be a bit difficult to split a clip at the precise moment, often resulting with a few extra frames or a few less frames then what I exactly wanted. IAnd if there are a few extra frames, trimming a bit of the preceding clip with the red handles in the Monitor panel is straightforward.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: new user with a few questions
                            OregonWebfoot Level 1

You may be very well right about the true end point.  While I have zoomed in on the clip but I may have not zoomed in far enough to spot potentially pesky frames.  I'll have to go back into the file and take a closer look.

From another post it looks like I'm not the only one having this problem.

For now, lets let this issue rest.

I would still appreciate a reply to the question about getting the program to run a little faster.  ~55% CPU usage when it is the only app running seems low to me.

Thanks to those that replied.