5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 8:40 AM by glong@aws.com

Multiple Sources Capturing at the same time

glong@aws.com Level 1

Hello,

We're transitioning from Analog to Digital.  We've got a digital video card (BlackMagic Decklink SDI Card) and are sending SDI video.  Ideally we'd embed audio into the SDI stream, but we dont have the hardware for that.  So we need to send audio separately.

Does Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 allow you to capture SDI Video through our digital capture card, and audio through a microphone/line in Jack - combining those into one ?

I searched everywhere on the internet but my search terms were returning random results.

Thanks,

Greg

• 1. Re: Multiple Sources Capturing at the same time
          dradeke Adobe Employee

Greg, you'd actually have to give that a try but my gut would say the answer is yes.

You can go into the audio hardware preferences and change settings, so you could theoretically capture video via BMD hardware and audio via the PC's audio hardware.

My suggestion is to download the Premiere Pro trial, install the BMD drivers and give it a whirl.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

• 2. Re: Multiple Sources Capturing at the same time
            Matt Petersen Level 3

Hmmmm, I'd be really surprised if Premiere could do that, I hope I am pleasantly surprised for your sake. A quick tour of the Audio and Capture settings in my version of CS4 didn't turn up anything the implied you could do that.

If not, how about Blackmagic's "Audio to SDI Mini-converter", which allows you to emded 4 analogue audio channels into an SDI video stream. You'd stick it between your camera/deck and your BM input card. Not bad at under $500US.

Just a thought.

Matthew

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Multiple Sources Capturing at the same time
              glong@aws.com Level 1

Thanks Matthew,

I haven't upgraded our version of Premiere yet, we're still using Premiere Pro 2 until we get our hardware setup.   I had searched trying to find anyone who had done what I was trying to do (embed at the Premiere level).  But if we can't, we'll get that Audio to SDI Mini converter.  I hadn't seen that product before but reading up on it - appears to be exactly what we need.

Should be good !

Greg

• 4. Re: Multiple Sources Capturing at the same time
                Matt Petersen Level 3

Greg, does the Blackmagic card that you have come with any software? I vaguely recall that when I was investigating direct-to-disk recording, BM offer a piece of software design for this task. There's a slim possibility that the software does the combining that you're after, no harm in asking BM.

So your workflow would be: capture into BM software, which would produce a file, and in Prem you'd just IMPORT that file instead of CAPTURING it.

Let us know how you get on??

cheers

Matthew

• 5. Re: Multiple Sources Capturing at the same time
                  glong@aws.com Level 1

The only software that comes with the BlackMagic card was simple recording software.   That's what I've been testing with to make sure I'm able to import both audio and video.   When all is said and done I'll upgrade Premiere to CS4 and be able to capture the digital video and digital audio together - through the BM card.

Parts are ordered, it'll take a week or two to deliver and get them installed / configured.

Greg