16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 11:32 AM by Jan Oly

New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?

jyeager11 Level 1

Hi,

I started this discussion perhaps in the wrong thread (Photoshop). So I'm taking it here.

Basically, I'm putting together my first new computer in 5 years. It'll be an Intel i7 920, 12GB ram, 2TB space. It'll be an A/V machine (Photoshop, Sonar, After Effects, etc) but not a gaming machine.

My only hesitation left is what video card to get. I'm partial to nvidia, so my choices are anything in the $300-400 range.

Should I be considering the GTX220? 260? 285? other?

As long as we stay within reasononable earshot of that price range, I don't mind paying for even a *slight* increase in performance. In other words, at equal performance, under $400, I'll actually opt for the more expensive card if only for the psychological advantage.

Any opinions are welcome.

• 1. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
          Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Wait until some time after April when CS5 is released to buy a new card.  As it stands today, a high end video card will have next to zero impact on video editing performance. I would use an old video card you may possibly have laying around.

Come this April and beyond, things are going to change.  Pricing for the high end Nvidia cards will be lower (unless ATI bites the dust) and then with CS5 and the Mercury Playback Engine, a high end Nvidia card will make a huge difference in your editing performance.

• 2. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
            blkdrgn18

im stuck in the exact same situation. lot's of people say to go with the GTX 285. the specs are a little bit better than the FX 4800. However I contacted NVIDIA and they said that the quadro series cards will only be supported for the CS4 special Elemental Accelerator. this will improve H.264 and MPEG2 performance up to 10x. others will still be the same performance. for $1500 more is that worth it? $1500 for the card and $500 for the accelerator. almost all my videos are in that format. oh and SLI mode is not supported so getting two GTX 285 might not be better than one FX 4800.

• 3. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
              jyeager11 Level 1

Why is $1500 being quoted as the MSRP for the 285? I'm seeing it listed at just over $500 at TigerDirect.ca

I read some reviews on the card, and among the "Pros" was that it was not hot nor noisy... and then I find this :

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4608368&CatId=10 54

I mean... the heck? Why does this thing exist if the card is particularly cool to begin with?

Sometimes I get the feeling these video card reviews are generated by a magic 8-ball.

I cannot wait until April. There is always a reason to wait for something. I need my rig now, and since I'm keeping my old rig as a secondary computer, I need a video card.

I wouldn't have minded going up to $500 for the 285 (compared to the $300 for the 260) if there was a real tangible advantage to it.. is there?

I should probably note that out of the three main uses I plan on making of the computer, the video editing is probably the least of them. Actually, I'll be doing a lot more hi-res video playback than I will editing.

• 4. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
                blkdrgn18 Level 1

no i meant $1500 for the FX 4800 card. In actual it would be $2000 total because of the $500 accelerator. why else would you get that card if you are not working with H.264 and MPEG2 files? the GTX 285 is the choice i read everywhere else for that price range which is not a quadro card. Even if I read it everywhere that's the choice, I did not see any results that it improved video processing

• 5. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
                  jyeager11 Level 1

When you're talking about video processing, you're talking about editing/compiling/rendering right? You're not talking about simple playback... are you?

• 6. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
                    blkdrgn18 Level 1

Correct. my cheap $40 NVIDIA plays video back fine and I can edit scenes fast. But i keep reading that the GTX 285 is what they recommend but i saw no proof that it improves processing, editing, compiling, rendering, etc. They just keep saying it has more memory and it's faster. I did not see a comparison between the GTX 285 and some really cheap card.

The only card they (manufacture) recommend improves processing H.264 and MPEG2 only files is with Quadro cards and the Excellerator. they did not specify what type of computer they were using either. maybe they were using a 1ghz celeron so the gpu did improve performance. on an i7 maybe not. i asked NVIDIA but they did not know.

im still researching and trying to find proof which card really improves over a cheap card when working with standard files and also high def files.

• 7. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

As long as you are on CS4, even a cheap ATI HD4xxx card is quite enough. Just get one today if you want to use it now. What CS5 will bring with MPE, nobody really knows, so we have to wait for further info, but then what is your risk with a good sub $ 100 card? Exchange it when the time comes.

• 8. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
                        jyeager11 Level 1

Is there really NO advantage a $300 card has over a $40 one when it comes to simple hi-res video playback framerates?

I would tend to think the cheap card would stutter more... is that naive of me?

Or is the answer not-so-black & white? That the $300 card *will* play video more smoothly at extra-high resolutions, but maybe not enough to justify the $250 price difference..?

• 9. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Benchmarks have not shown any advantage of a $ 300+ card over a $ 50 card. CS4 just does not use the capabilities of the video card.i

• 10. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
                            blkdrgn18 Level 1

This is the video for the Elemental Accelerator which only supports Quadro cards. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZkK9HoxUvo

I was reading the comments in this video. This guy said the only 3 cards they know of that will be supported in the next version is the GTX 285, FX 4800, and CX. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_VCdvzXMjE I don't know if that's true but I also heard the same thing in another video I saw.

• 11. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
                              Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

"I would tend to think the cheap card would stutter more... is that naive of me?"

It's common to think that a higher end graphic card will improve Premiere Pro performance, editing speed, playback etc. I even think it does sometimes just because games are like video and high end cards make a world of difference in gaming, so it should help with video editing performance, right?  No... wrong.  High end cards don't improve Premiere Pro CS4 editing performance.  Sorry, they just don't.

I edit video for a living and build all of our company's computers.  One of our systems has a low end 7300 Nvidia graphics card. It makes absolutely NO difference in Premiere Pro CS4 performance. The timeline scrubs fine etc.

The CPU, Ram and hard drive speed/setup are mainly what's currently responsible for positively impacting Premiere Pro CS4 performance.

• 12. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
                                blkdrgn18 Level 1

Have you tried the NVIDIA FX 4800 with Elemental Accelerator or the CX or basically any Quadro card with Elemental Accelerator? I want to know if what NVIDIA claims is true for H.264 and MPEG2.

• 13. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
                                  davdav99 Level 1

Just wondering if you can help me.

I have built a new i7 computer with 12G RAM and I have put in a relatively cheap video card Nvidia GeForce 9600GT.  I have two 19" monitors (Dell 1905FP) connected to it.

Premiere Pro CS4.2.1 works fine when I have it on one monitor only, however if I scretch the application over the two monitors, playback is jerky.  I have even tried to keep CS4 on one monitor and undocked some windows and moved them to the second monitor.  But still get jerky video.

Any suggestions to get me moving?  I really find it hard to use Premiere on one monitor.  Never had a problem with previous versions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 15. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
                                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try running my Premiere Pro Benchmark PPBM4 and see how well your system is tuned.

• 16. Re: New i7 920 rig... GTX220, 260, 285 or..?
                                      Jan Oly

A card with:

Directx 11 support: support DirectCompute too (Microsoft API for GPGPU)

DisplayPort connection gives you the possibility for 3 monitors on 1 card

ATI Radeon HD 5700 (5770)