14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2010 3:03 PM by Matt Petersen RSS

Wide Screen

AllyPugh

I captured my footage on a Dv camera on wide screen. So it has the nice black bars top

and bottom when you watch it back.

I have imported them as seperate clips and when you view those clips on Source/Preview panel they still have the widescreen bars framing the moving image.

I have then dragged them onto the timeline to make my movie cut, but when I export the whole project to watch back as one file the widescreen setup is lost and it is just a rectangle set film? Help??

• 1. Re: Wide Screen
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Please tell us the make/model of the camera, and how it records Widescreen. Not all 16:9 is the same.

Also, what is your Project/Sequence Preset?

Last, what are the exact Export specs.?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Wide Screen
            AllyPugh Community Member

Hope this is all right: Canon MD101 PAL

SP

16:9

16bit

Camera Setup Menu = Widescreen option

TV Type - Wide

VCR Setup

Markers turned on

It was captured initially into Imovie under 'HDV 1080i'

I dont where to find 'Presets', I'm using Premiere Pro CS3.

And I chose: Export - Movie - File Type:                 Microsoft DV AVI

Range:                     Entire Sequence

Embedding Options:  Project

I've been as detailed as I can, I am a Graphic Designer and completely new to Moving Image so my apologies

• 3. Re: Wide Screen
              Matt Petersen Community Member

Ally, you have a DV project, so no need for a 1080 Project (designed for high def cameras). I'd be tempted to re-capture in Premiere, as we have no idea how you're getting those clips out of i-Movie (are you "exporting them as Quicktime", or are you dragging and dropping the files straight from the hard drive?).

The specs for your camera (on Amazon at least) says it records in "true" widescreen, which means the Project you want to work in is DV NTSC (or PAL, depending on your country/camera) WIDESCREEN. If all goes well, you SHOULDN'T have black bars top and bottom (as that simply means a whole stack of pixels are just wasted lying around in "black" mode: bad).

So you really need to get all your ducks in row here by:

- making sure your captured clips are in their native format (Type II DV AVI. Harm, correct me if I'm wrong there) preferably by capturing in Premiere

- making sure the project you're working in matches your clips (DV Widescreen)

- making sure you're exporting the type of file you need at the end (and I don't know what that is)

Alas, this part of the Premiere learning curve is STEEP.

Good luck.

MP

• 4. Re: Wide Screen
                AllyPugh Community Member

I exported the seperate clips as Quicktime files from Imovie as for some reason Premiere wouldn't recognise my camera when plugged in. I tried a plethora of things to get it to work but no luck. I then imported thesse files seperately into Premiere to work on and edit together.

As a preview they appear to have black sections top and bottom (widescreen), but on Exporting and Playing them back in VLC Media Player they have lost the black bars. Would it be better to try it on a wide screen monitor or something? Surely you should be able to tell the difference straight off?

And as far as I can tell there isn't much choice of File Type on Exporting. I want to export the film to play in VLC andf similar players. it will be going on the web at some point later. But at all times it is important to look like widescreen with the black bars look going on... I'm utilising the Lynda.com online training but haven't found a solution as yet...

• 5. Re: Wide Screen
                  Matt Petersen Community Member

ah, that goes some way to explain what's going on. your exported clips might have the black bars "built in" due to how they've been loaded into Quicktime and subsequently exported. This isn't ideal and you're not working with as good quality as you could (as you've compressed it coming from i-Movie). you really want to try to capture using Premiere, otherwise you're working with footage wich is already degraded.

Be careful using Players like Quicktime and VLC to judge what's actually in a video clip, as they're designed to maximise the viewing experience. Some players strip the black bars automatically. Some players ignore the pixel aspect ratio. Some guess it.

Also, you need to change how you think about widescreen. It's a ratio. Black bars DO NOT denote "widescreen", they denote LETTERBOXING, which is the result of putting a widescreen video on a playback device which is narrower, for instance, a 4:3 screen. Ideally, the image should fit the device (cinema screen, television, web player et al) exactly, as this means no pixels are being "wasted". Letterboxing is a workaround, NOT something you should be aiming for.

Matthew

• 6. Re: Wide Screen