2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 10:18 AM by Navarro Parker

Encoding video for Windows use

Navarro Parker Level 3

So I need to encode a video for client running a presentation on a PC laptop. Specifically, the video needs to be WMV or AVI.

I don't see a lot of options on the Mac side other than the $180 Flip4Mac WMV Studio HD. On the Windows side (running VMWare Fusion), I don't see much else. Every freebie Windows encoder wants to "help" me conform my video to a broadcast standard, which my video isn't (it's 1024x768/30fps).  This is a little off topic for the AE board, but I'd appreciate any help.

Quicktime Pro on the Windows side only gives me AVI Cinepak (!), uncompressed, or some flavor of DV. How the heck do Windows users compress video into something usable?  Is VLC the answer?

• 1. Re: Encoding video for Windows use
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't see a lot of options on the Mac side other than the $180 Flip4Mac WMV Studio HD.

Yepp, that pretty much covers it.

Every freebie Windows encoder wants to "help" me conform my video to a broadcast standard,

As it should be. The free version of the WM redistributables are locked to specific SD resolutions. HD and other formats are only supported for playback, not encoding. For that you need comemrcial tools that also use the commercially licensed versions of WM encoders.

Quicktime Pro on the Windows side only gives me AVI Cinepak (!), uncompressed, or some flavor of DV. How the heck do Windows users compress video into something usable?

System Control panel --> Quicktime --> Advanced --> Allow Encoding with Legacy CoDecs. Other CoDecs not appearing may be a problem of running in a VM or may require QT Pro.

If it's for PowerpPoint, it's a pointless exercise, though. QT is not usable in PowerPoint and your client will drill his favorite pen into your skull and withold payment, if you give him a MOV. You can, however, try a non-QT H.264 file. MPEG-1 would also work, if you are willing to compromise on the resolution. Truth be told, though: These days WMV is the only reliable way for such things.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Encoding video for Windows use
            Navarro Parker Level 3

Thanks. I had to go the WMV route. MPEG-1 was pretty gruesome (esp for motion graphics). It's funny, the last time I had to put video into a PowerPoint was 1996... and almost 15 years later, nothing has changed! It's still as media stupid as ever.

So I found a freebie from Microsoft called Windows Media Encoder 9. It's clunky and hard to configure, but I was able to define my own resolution and FPS. Man, what a pain in the rear.