8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 6:25 AM by Steve Grisetti

Time lapse questions?

em.ford

Hi,

I'm certainly not a pro movie maker, but I enjoy playing around with pre8 to make our holiday dvds a bit more interesting.

On our last holiday I experimented with time lapse video, & shot quite a bit of footage setting the camera to interval record (2sec footage every 30sec). This seemed to work well and looks ok when viewed in fast forward on the camera.

Can anyone give me some advice on how best to make it look good in pre8?

I have grouped all of the single 2sec shots together in the timeline to make one scene.  I have found the time stretch tool (by right clicking) and have changed the time % up to 1500%, which sort of looks ok, but it still looks a little jerky (especially the scenes with clouds in them).

Do anyone have any general advice on time lapse for me? 

Thanks in advance

Em

• 1. Re: Time lapse questions?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try right-clicking on the clip and applying Frame Blend. That should smooth the play out.

Also, don't forget to render the clip before you watch it! To render, press Enter. The red line above the clip on your timeline will turn green when the render is complete.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Time lapse questions?
            em.ford Level 1

Thanks Steve,

That's great advice. I'll try that asap.

Any idea of roughly how fast I should speed it up, or does it just depend on the scene. I've been trying it about 1500% but it doesn't look quite right yet.

Any other hints or tips are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Time lapse questions?

15x is a lot of speed up a video -- but it's up to you. If you're happy with the results, then that's all that matters!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Time lapse questions?
                em.ford Level 1

Thanks again Steve. I'll try that tonight. Maybe once I smooth it out I wont need to speed it up so much.

Let me know if anyone else has any tips or tricks..

• 5. Re: Time lapse questions?
                  em.ford Level 1

Steve,

I'm trying to use Frame Blend, but it wont let me select it as an option. When I right-click I can see it on the list, but it is grey (can't select it). What am I doing wrong?

• 6. Re: Time lapse questions?

What kind of camera or camcorder did this footage come from?

• 7. Re: Time lapse questions?
                      em.ford Level 1

Thanks again Steve.

It's a Sony HC1000 DV.

I think I've worked it out: When I captured the footage into pre8 it each 2sec clip into the timelines a separate scene, so I grouped them together. If I ungroup them it gives me the option to Blur them.

I think I've come up with another option. I applied a cross dissolve transition between each 2sec clip and it seems to have done the trick!

It has raised another question though... Is there any way to apply the same transition to a whole bunch of scenes in timeline in one go? It gets very tiresome to add it to every scene when there are hundreds of them.

Your help is appreciated.

• 8. Re: Time lapse questions?

In version 8, you can apply the same transition (whatever you designated as your default transition) to several clips at once.

To do this, drag across the timeline to select all of the clips you want to add a transition to, right-click and select the option.

This feature is not available in earlier versions of the software.