7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2010 9:45 AM by HarryPutnam

looping backgrounds

HarryPutnam Level 1

Runninc CS4

I've been tinkering around with creating a looping back ground.

I can get it to work, but only if I choose  `Classic tweens'.   Following the same steps but using `motion tween' and the symbols appear not to move... they just sort of throb.    Backup to the looped symbols timeline  by doulble click and I can see what is happening.  The motion happens all at once when the  time head gets to the second set of keyframes.,  Just like there is no tween , but when I set the tween, I click the `motion tween' item on right click menu with my curors between the keyframes. and I see the layer turn a sort of aqua marine color.but no centered line appears like it does when inserting a classic tween

Both the little tutorials I used to get this going specify that I should use `motion tween'.   So what might be the problem?   Is there a setting somewhere that might be set wrong that would cause this kind of behavior?

I must be getting the steps pretty close to right since the looping works if I use `classic tweens'.

Is there some other step to setting a motion tween besides right click and select `Motion tween' with cursor between two keyframes?

• 1. Re: looping backgrounds
          RossRitchey Level 4

This is one of those problems with the new tweening system in CS4.

In prior versions of Flash, all you had to do was insert a Motion Tween between two keyframes, and it would tween as you wish.

The new, more powerful tweening of CS4 requires that you mark the Motion Tween first, and then set the second keyframe.  Though, instead of actually going to a frame, right-clicking and saying "new keyframe" you simply go to that frame and move the object.  The Tween automagically adds a keyframe for you and updates the motion.

Or, you can skip that and just use Classic Tweens, which I've heard is what most people are doing anyways.

• 2. Re: looping backgrounds
            HarryPutnam Level 1

RossRitchey wrote:

In prior versions of Flash, all you had to do was insert a Motion Tween between two keyframes, and it would tween as you wish.

The new, more powerful tweening of CS4 requires that you mark the Motion Tween first, and then set the second keyframe.  Though, instead of actually going to a frame, right-clicking and saying "new keyframe" you simply go to that frame and move the object.  The Tween automagically adds a keyframe for you and updates the motion.

Or, you can skip that and just use Classic Tweens, which I've heard is what most people are doing anyways.

Thanks.  I've seen the term `mark' used in another message here... but not sure what the heck it means.  searching the help file on `mark' turns out to find things like question mark... or other non helpful stuff.  But I found no explanation of what `mark' means.   Is it just another way of saying `select'?

• 3. Re: looping backgrounds
              RossRitchey Level 4

Methinks 'mark' will vary depending on the context.

Here, I was referring to selecting the keyframe with the object, right-clicking and selecting "Motion Tween" to initialize a Motion Tween.

• 4. Re: looping backgrounds
                HarryPutnam Level 1

RossRitchey wrote:

Methinks 'mark' will vary depending on the context.

Here, I was referring to selecting the keyframe with the object, right-clicking and selecting "Motion Tween" to initialize a Motion Tween.

Thanks... so select is what you mean...  I've been all over these forums for some years now but only run into the odd usage of `mark' here.

But come to that, I don't know as how I've ever run accross `methinks' on these forums....

So what century was it, when you left Merry old England? Or was it still under Visigoth control?

• 5. Re: looping backgrounds
                  HarryPutnam Level 1

RossRitchey wrote:

You will think I'm denser than lead, and that is probably right, but I'm not seeing the behavior you describe.

I will trace my steps and maybe you will see where the densness factor has tipped the scales.

I'll start with two identical symbols on the stage.

Line them up butt to head,

select them both, right click and press `convert to symbol'

Name the symbol `loop1'

Double click loop1 to enter that symbols time line

A `layer1' is created by above action

Make sure both pieces are selected, right click and press `distribute to layers'

Each piece now has its own layer. and delete the `layer1' that came with entering the symbol

Both layers have  initial keyframes at frame 1 but no other frames so far.

So how does this `marking' action happen?

From what you've said, I don't need to create the next set of keyframes by hand but go to the desired frame after having `marked. the motion tween.

However there is no option by right click or otherwise to press `motion tween' unless there are other frames on the board.

So creating by hand 2 frames (not keyframes)  at frame 72

Move the playhead to 72 (The playhead cannot be moved without above action)

Now right click the `loop1' symbol and press `motion tween'  (Thereby `marking' the motion tween)

Finally move symbol `loop1' to desired end position... and the keyframes are generated

Press Shift , (comma)  to return to start

Press Enter... and watch the motion play out once.

Fine.. nice motion

Click `scene1'  to return to the main stage

Press Ctrl-enter to watch the looping,  but sadly when the thing plays . ..NO  motion happens.

`Loop1' plays thru its motion when inside symbol `loop1' but once back on the `scene1' stage, it doesn't do poop.

• 6. Re: looping backgrounds
                    RossRitchey Level 4

What you describe sounds accurate to make this work, so why doesn't it?

What type of symbol did you create?  A Graphic? or a MovieClip?

• 7. Re: looping backgrounds
                      HarryPutnam Level 1

RossRitchey wrote:

What you describe sounds accurate to make this work, so why doesn't it?

What type of symbol did you create?  A Graphic? or a MovieClip?

Movie clip

I've gone back thru and created classic tween instead, but even then when I return to scene1 and press Ctrl-enter... the created swf shows no motion whatever.

After creating the keyframes and tween inside a symbol, and checking that it plays by pressing `enter',   then retuning to scene1 by clicking it, is there any other step before pressing CTRL-enter, that I am missing?

Somewhere back down the road I was able to get the loop running using `classic tween' but can't even do that at this point.

That should gaurantee that I'm doing something quite wrong in there somewhere.

I'm going to ditch the whole thing and start with all new parts... see if anything different happens.  I'll use classic tween first since I know I have been able to get a loop to work using classic.   Then if that works I'll try again with the `motion tween'