6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 6:29 AM by Steve Grisetti

Cannot unpack PE8

Steve C2 Level 2

Any suggestions?

I can no longer run the unpack/install for PE8 under Windows 7/64.  I have tried to do this, also, with both virusscan and firewall disabled.

The error dialog message is " A problem occurred while extracting some files.  Check available space on your computer and the write privileges on the destination folder."

The unpack process always gets to 99% complete.  First of all, I have a ton of disk space and multiple drives and partitions.  I have tried creating new folders and granting all permissions to the folder to all users, even though this never was needed previously.  In any case, doing this does not make difference.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Cannot unpack PE8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If Windows 7 is fully updated, this should not be a problem. It's possible you have a faulty download -- in which case you should try downloading it again.

It's interesting you say you can "no longer" unpack this file. This implies that you used to be able to, which makes this issue even more mysterious.

• 2. Re: Cannot unpack PE8
            Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Steve,

Yes, you're right.  This is a download from the fall when I purchased the software.  I had saved it on DVD and needed to restore.  I had an unstable system and therefore reformatted my drive and did a clean reinstall of everything including the OS.  I'll try to download again and my guess is if there is still a problem, I should contact tech support.  If I learn something, I will post it here.

My guess would be that some other software is interfering or that sometimes a Windows Update can introduce changes that other software need to make adjustments to.  If that were the case, presumably someone else here would have also commented.  One thing that I can say is that, since I also use Photoshop CS4, I also ran CS4CLEAN and then the Microsoft cleanup utility to no effect.

• 3. Re: Cannot unpack PE8

You're not trying to run the unpack off the DVD, are you? That could be the problem.

See if copying the file to your hard drive first makes a difference.

• 4. Re: Cannot unpack PE8
                Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Steve,

I am downloading the file, now, and will report back on my results.

Regarding your question - I have tried both from the DVD and directly from a drive.  I would guess that it would be faster to install from the hard drive, so that was my first method.

• 5. Re: Cannot unpack PE8
                  Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Steve,

Your suggestion of re-downloading PE worked.  I can't say anything beyond this, except that the error message doesn't match the problem.

Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Cannot unpack PE8

Great news, Steve! Happy moviemaking.