2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2007 1:26 PM by graphic_pawn

Setting up a Form Application to write to an XML file on a local computer

graphic_pawn
      First, I'm using Flash CS3, and Actionscript3.

I'm trying to set up a data collection form that will save the results to a file that can later be imported into a database. This is going to be in a Kiosk at a tradeshow and it won't have internet access, so I can't send it to an online PHP or ASP, etc, script.

The form also has several screens, so i thought I'd try to use the Form Application (I know I can only have one frame on the timeline when using this flash template with the data components). I want to try and write the data to a XML file. All the information I've found is for importing data from an XML file to a web server rather than sending data to an XML file on a local computer.

I'm trying to use the XML connector,and an XML file that resides in the same folder as my Flash file, but so far I've had very little luck writing to that XML file. Do I need to set up a dataset to send the form data to that will then send the data to an XML Connector component that will then send the data to the XML file. Should I use LoadVars instead, and if I do, will I have to write to a script, or can it also write to an XML file.

If any one has a better idea to do this, please let me know.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Setting up a Form Application to write to an XML file on   a   local computer
          Level 7

Hi,

Flash itself has no filewriting capabilities other then the SharedObject
          stuff.

But why can't you call a php script? You could install apache, PHP and
          MYSQL on the computer running the Flash app and get it all into the
          database in one go.

Otherwise you either need to get going with AIR (Adobe Integrated
          Runtime), or use a wrapper application like Adobe Director (which has
          tons of ways to write to file through it's plethora of Xtras.) Director
          may be 'a bit' hard on your budget if you only use it for this purpose
          though.

The XMLSocket is for connections to some server, local or remote, not to
          a file.

Manno

graphic_pawn wrote:
          > First, I'm using Flash CS3, and Actionscript3.
          >
          > I'm trying to set up a data collection form that will save the results to a
          > file that can later be imported into a database. This is going to be in a Kiosk
          > at a tradeshow and it won't have internet access, so I can't send it to an
          > online PHP or ASP, etc, script.
          >
          > The form also has several screens, so i thought I'd try to use the Form
          > Application (I know I can only have one frame on the timeline when using this
          > flash template with the data components). I want to try and write the data to a
          > XML file. All the information I've found is for importing data from an XML file
          > to a web server rather than sending data to an XML file on a local computer.
          >
          > I'm trying to use the XML connector,and an XML file that resides in the same
          > folder as my Flash file, but so far I've had very little luck writing to that
          > XML file. Do I need to set up a dataset to send the form data to that will then
          > send the data to an XML Connector component that will then send the data to the
          > XML file. Should I use LoadVars instead, and if I do, will I have to write to a
          > script, or can it also write to an XML file.
          >
          > If any one has a better idea to do this, please let me know.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >

--
          ----------
          Manno Bult
          http://www.aloft.nl
          • 2. Re: Setting up a Form Application to write to an XML file on   a   local computer
            graphic_pawn Level 1
            Thanks for your input. I was starting to suspect that Flash would require some sort of server to connect to. I may try setting up that computer as a webserver.