12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2010 4:23 PM by KlausKi

CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills

KlausKi Level 1

Can anyone reproduce this:

Sequence is AVCHD, 720p... I've inserted a couple of pictures from my digital camera along with a couple of short movie clips (camera: Panasonic DMC-FT1)...

After inserting a couple of stills into the sequence, when playing back those stills I can't stop playback until playhead has either reached one of the movie clips of end of sequence.

Is this a bug of the current version (version 4.2.1)?

• 1. Re: CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills
          pebalsamo Level 2

What kind of hardware is your computer set up with???  AVCHD takes a lot of power to edit nativly and sometimes when I am editing AVCHD the CTI hangs.  I have used stills in my AVCHD sequences with no problems too.  Try rendering the timeline and see if that helps any....

Phil

• 2. Re: CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills
            KlausKi Level 1

Thanks for trying to help!

This is my configuration:

Performance.png

I supposed this would be sufficient to work with CS4 fluently. I don't have too big of a graphics adapter as I didn't presume that CS4 would require too much of a GPU, does it?

• 3. Re: CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills
              pebalsamo Level 2

From my limited experience I would say that your computer is well suited for other types of HD but not really the best for AVCHD.  My computer is similar to yours and editigna big porject of 720p60 AVCHD can be frustrating, so I either convert it to P2 or to MPEG 2 and then Proxy Edit.  If I am working with a single camera shoot that I shot then I will just keep it in AVCHD but for multiple camera shoots or if it is just a big project I convert it...

Phil

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills
                KlausKi Level 1

Hmm.. That sounds like bad news...

I was expecting Premiere Pro to do a conversion automatically in the background for editing so I can work fluently.

I was also expecting Premiere Pro then to use the original data for rendering/exporting, when realtime execution is not required.

From what I learned there isn't much more computer power available for semi professional users than what I have just bought. AVCHD Lite is a Panasonic standard format. I can't believe it's so hard to edit this type of material.

I find it particularly hard to believe believe that JPG still images are getting Premiere Pro into hanging. Whenever I insert a still image into a timeline, a red line appears above that still image, indicating that computer power is not sufficient to render it... That's very frustrating... and REALLY not what I have been expecting.

Would you suggest to contact Adobe on this issue? Actually I don't want to be required to convert things first everytime I import a new clip.

However, thanks for your valuable tip! May I ask how I can convert a AVCHD clip into other formats? I'm a Newbie to Premiere Pro, I'm afraid...

• 5. Re: CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Actually you graphics card is the bottleneck, but that should not be too big of a problem. Just turn off Aero and the Sidebar. Also run the http://ppbm4.com benchmark to see how your system performs in relation to other systems. Submit the results to Bill.

• 6. Re: CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills
                    KlausKi Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Actually you graphics card is the bottleneck, but that should not be too big of a problem.

I don't know. All I know is that Adobe Premiere Pro hangs when playing back JPG files:

JpgHangsPremierePro.png

Just turn off Aero and the Sidebar.

That wouldn't change anything. I'm using Premiere Pro in a fullscreen window. There's nothing visible that could harm rendering in any way.

Also run the http://ppbm4.com benchmark to see how your system performs in relation to other systems. Submit the results to Bill.

I've run the benchmark now... But from what I saw it just calculates non-realtime rendering. From my perspective that doesn't have anything to do with video playback in any of the Premiere Pro playback windows.

• 7. Re: CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Turning off Aero and Sidebar makes a Huge difference.

The benchmark will show where your system can be improved. Non-realtime rendering as you describe it means that your system is not up to real-time rendering due to lacking resources, and that may tell us something.

Your video playback (if that is the only thing wrong with your system) can be attributed to your video card. Let's just wait for your Output.txt results.

• 8. Re: CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills
                        KlausKi Level 1

Output.txt just yielded four values:

84.4,  secs Total Benchmark Time
                        5.3,  secs AVI  Encoding Time
                        46.1,  secs MPEG Elapsed Time
                        33,  secs Rendering Time

I may be ignorant, but where's any value here demonstrating the lack of being able to render simple .jpg files?

Harm Millaard wrote:

Turning off Aero and Sidebar makes a Huge difference.

Would you be so kind to explain what the differences are in detail? From my understanding it can't possibly cause any trouble: My sidebar only contains a clock, updating the screen only once a minute. In Fullscreen mode, Windows Aero only renders the non-client area of my Premiere Pro program window plus Windows Taskbar. It does this once when I'm starting Premiere Pro and then almost never again.

Watching my Task Manager I can see it log zero load on my machine despite using Windows Aero and Sidebar:

TaskManager.png

I should add that I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 Bit. It doesn't contain a Sidebar anymore. But it does have a very much improved machine load footprint.

• 9. Re: CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Have a look here: The Case of the Unexplained

I'll have a look at your results when Bill has had time to update the results, but from the looks of is, you have a  pretty mediocre system with mediocre results and it may not be enough for AVCHD material, which requires a top notch system. Can you send me the Output.txt file by private mail?

• 10. Re: CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills
                            KlausKi Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Have a look here: The Case of the Unexplained

Just like it says in the session: "[I'm looking for a particular gatget that's causing these spikes.] Spikes that are spaced actually five minutes apart."

"Five minutes apart", "particular gadget"... Despite the fact that my computer is not running any particular gadget - within 5 minutes space of time I could have viewed 75 of my JPG files (which are 4 seconds in length each) flawlessly.

So, again, my system is definitively not causing any problems here.

Harm Millaard wrote:

I'll have a look at your results when Bill has had time to update the results, but from the looks of is, you have a  pretty mediocre system with mediocre results and it may not be enough for AVCHD material, which requires a top notch system.

This may be true for encoding files in MPEG or AVI, but actually I'm viewing JPG files from within Premiere Pro - not any encoding is involved here. No AVCHD, no H.264, nothing. Just plain displaying of a JPG file within the Program window of Premiere Pro.

Encoding comes into play when exporting a scene into any of the encoded formats. But no encoding applies when the data is actually displayed within Premiere Pro.

In order to display a scene within the Program window, why would Premiere Pro possibly first encode a JPG into AVCHD internally on the fly just to decode it immediately right back from AVCHD into its internal playback format? All just to display a mediocre quality editing preview in the Program window? That would not make sense.... I wouldn't do things like that myself. I wouldn't freeze water first if I'm actually about to boil it.

Harm Millaard wrote:

Can you send me the Output.txt file by private mail?

Sure, I'm pleased to.

• 11. Re: CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills
                              gvwalsh

I have sporadically seen a very similar problem with stills in Premiere

CS4 when editing both mini DV footage and P2 footage.  It seems to

be related to project complexity and not to a particular type of footage.

It seems to happen more often if I have a lot of large stills that are scaled

and panned as opposed to stills that are exactly frame sized.

When the problem happens, killing Premiere and restarting usually

seems to work ok, so it is not clear what triggers the bug.

I know nothing about the internal architecture of Premiere but it is

clear that there are multiple threads at work when playing from the

timeline and I am guessing that something about playing a lot

of stills causes the thread

that is responsible for listening to the user to "block" forever (wait for

some event that never will happen).  So the player thread(s) keep on

playing but you can't stop them.  Its unfortunately an all too common

type of bug in complex software and goes by the colorful name of

"deadly embrace" or deadlock.

I have mostly avoided this problem by preparing sequences of stills

in separate projects and importing them into a single final project

near the end of my editing process so as to mimimize the exposure

to situations likely to cause the problem.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: CS4: Hangs When Playing Back Stills
                                KlausKi Level 1

Yes, you're right... I've found a workaround, too: I minimize the Adobe Premiere Pro application window and restore it right afterwards. This action seems to have enough priority to keep Premiere Pro from stampeding...

But I tend to believe that's not very intuitive. Nor is it encouraging. Or even fun to work with.... Or shall I say "worth the price"..?