4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2010 1:20 PM by Jacob Bugge

Background Color

GoodTimesXYZ Level 1

Hello again,

I have another newbie question about Adobe Illustrator CS4.  I want to make the background layer a certain color.  I have objects on multiple layers and now I would like to make the background black so that all of the objects will be seen on a black page.  I was wanting to know the easiest way to add a colored background in Illustrator?  Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Background Color
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

GoodTimes,

One simple way is to create a bottommost layer with a sufficiently large rectangle filled with black.

• 2. Re: Background Color
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

That is probably the best way except you have be alert to any transparency as it will show the background color through the over lying color.

The other way of making it a Live paint group but then that has pitfalls as well.

• 3. Re: Background Color
              GoodTimesXYZ Level 1

Thanks so much, again I am a newbie.  I can make a new layer and then make a rectangle around all of my objects.  Then I would assume that you could edit and fill with a color, but I do not see how to edit and fill with a color.  Thanks again for the help.  I have a strong understanding of PS and image processing.  I am new to vector processing and am trying to learn as much as I can.

• 4. Re: Background Color
                Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

GoodTimes,

Once you have made the rectangle to serve as a background, and with it selected:

1) Click the large solid square at the bottom of the Toolbox (on mouseover, it should say Fill (Click to activate if not activated);

2) Click the little solid square underneath to the right (Fill) if not activated;

3) Select the colour in the Color palette/panel, using the desired values in the desried colour space (see the flyout for other options than the current one).

Obviously, you should have Stroke set to None (similarly chosen in the Toolbox).