3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2010 5:39 PM by kglad

Preloader based on a single movie clip

DirtyFlasher Level 1

Is there a way to have a pre-loader based on a single movie clip, instead of on the entire SWF size? This movie clip may have a single graphic, but the entire movie has a slideshow with more images to display...but rather than making my visitor wait for the entire site to download before they see anything, I'd like to have it so when that graphic is loaded, it displays while the rest of the movie finishes loading.  And there would be a preloader that shows the progression of the single movie clip.

How can I accomplish that? Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Preloader based on a single movie clip
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you can display the download progress of any loaded file.  but the frames of the main movie up to and including the frame that contains the preload code will need to load first.

• 2. Re: Preloader based on a single movie clip
            DirtyFlasher Level 1

Thanks for the speedy reply, but I think I didn't explain myself well. I'm not sure your answer will help me. I have an FLA file that contains everything within it. The background image for the resulting SWF is a single JPG, contained within a movie clip with an instance name of "bg_mc". However, there are a lot of other images that also need to be loaded. So, I want the loader to show progress ONLY on the background JPG image, and when it's downloaded, the image is shown, the rest of the SWF continues to download, and when the SWF is completely loaded, the images appear. So the user is only waiting on the background image to load before they see something instead of having to wait for all images to load. Does that make sense?

• 3. Re: Preloader based on a single movie clip
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if your bg_mc is in the first frame of your swf, you'll need to create another fla that will load your current swf.  you can determine the number of bytes that need to download in order for your first frame to be visible by checking the bandwidth profiler when testing your current swf.  you can then use that number of bytes in your display of the load progress of your swf.