11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 6:39 AM by nealeh

My Review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8

jeffgedgaud Level 1

My review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8 has been published:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2543527/product_review_adobe_photoshop_elements.h tml?cat=15

While I have given the package a low rating I really do not think the complete Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8 set is a worthy purchase. Premiere Elements 8 does not work as well as advertised and needs a bit too much work for customers to risk purchasing it.

A note to Moderators:

Please do not take this link down, a sticky would even be nice.

I received the copy of Elements 8 directly from Adobe's marketing firm AR-Edelman and have their permission to review their product. It is only fitting that I publish the link in their forum for others to read about the product and get my opinion.

Jeff Gedgaud

• 1. Re: My Review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8
          GEAtkins Level 1

Well done.  The truth will always win.

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill

Glenn

• 2. Re: My Review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8
            Kodebuster Level 3

Okay, I read the review, in concept I'm in agreement with many of the points being made.

In my particular case I edit strickly Standard Def, convert religiously to DV-AVI, and experience hassle free editing with that approach.

I also monitor and participate in this Forum and over at Muvipix.com. My general view of what I see as issues comes down to the way Adobe markets, sells, and supports the Video side of the Premier Elements application package for general use as a Video Editor.

First they need to update the System Requirements as to what's truely needed to run the editor. There is NO WAY the minimum Sys Req's as outlined in Adobe's marketing will lead to a positive experience for anyone on the planet. If you think your gonna edit HD with their recommendation, I have a bridge that I can sell you.

Anytime someone posts to this Forum with an issue, they are told to immediately update all OS, Drivers, Firmware, and you must have the latest Ouicktime to edit certain formats. Where does this EXIST in any of Adobe's marketing or install literature ??? I know it's not on the box when you purchase this software in a store.

To add insult to injury, it's hard to believe in this day and age that a company will continue to offer on a yearly basis, a new version for sale and NEVER issue a patch to address an outstanding issue. Some problems move between versions without even an acknowledgement of the issue.

Then there is this Forum with Adobe's name and reputation tied to it and the mantra I always hear is "This is a User-to-User Community", Adobe neither monitors, reads, or addresses any concerns or issues posted by their Customers. Why would you host a Forum with your name on it, then not monitor the concerns, issues, and temperment of your User base, then when appropriate post an official update and show some love.

Somebody should take a cattle prod to the Marketing and Support Team at Adobe.

They have no one to blame but themselves...

• 3. Re: My Review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Jeff, I don't know the value in making this post a "sticky". This isn't so much a forum that people come to BEFORE they purchase the software, after all.

But I'll leave it up for a few days and then, if you'd like, I can move it to the No Reply Needed section of the forum.

• 4. Re: My Review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8
                Kodebuster Level 3

Another issue that comes up constantly on the Forum is when attempting to import photos from still cameras into PE for creating slideshows.

The major cause of problems with PE is that many, if not most modern Digital still cameras have large resolution file formats (pixels) that will choke and crash the Editor in a heartbeat.

The fix is to simply reduce the resolution of digital pictures outside of the Video Editor, before importing into PE for slideshows.

Here is the amazing piece of this puzzle, Adobe Photoshop which is packaged with the Editor is a great tool for doing this, it takes only a second to reduce the resolution of a Photo and you are home free.

For the life of me I can't understand WHY the video Editor would not recognize these oversized pix on import, then ping the user via a Dialog box, and if in agreement, resize the picture with the tools already available (via Photoshop).

If you really wanted to make the Product more stable and easier to use for the masses, THIS IS A NO-BRAINER.

This I blame on Product development, the capability is there, it should be relatively easy to implement, but the issue just continues to propagate from one version to another, with no end in sight.

Some people buy the product because the Marketing campaign says it wonderfully supports the creation of slideshows, and then there are hundreds of posts to the Adobe Forum telling Customers to resize the photos, after the Program crashes constantly on them with unknown Errors.

Marketing and Product Development at it's worst.

Again, they have no one to blame but themselves...

• 5. Re: My Review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8
                  Nemo_Ivarson Level 1

Steve,

I agree on the people writing in the forum are most likely a big majority after purchase people. BUT, when it comes to read there are defenitely more pre-purchase people around. In particular like in Adobe Case when the official company sales channels can not, or do not, answer any qualifyed question above standard bla bla bla answer sales rep level. So if you have a specific pre-purchase detail questioin/worrie the SW forum it self is where to go to find an answer before purchase. Including close related matters like HW matters is to Video editing.

e.g. I my self have Photoshop Elements8 and considering adding Premiere Elements8. But  the premiere Elements8 trial version is said of having lack of fully support AVCHD format.  When I tested premiere trial version, on my brand new high-end PC (i7860,ATI5870 etc etc), it was quite slow. So I can yet not tell is if it the premiere trial version that makes it slow, or is it premiere as sutch !?!  (I also tested Cyberlinks Power Director8 trial version. Worked very smooth  at a nice speed). But of cause. If I can not find my premiere answere here, I have to go PowerDirector8. Even if I prefferre to stay on the adobe SW track also for video.

//N

• 6. Re: My Review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8
                    Kodebuster Level 3

Nemo, the Trial Version of PE8 is exactly the same as the Purchased Version.

The only difference on the Trial is that you will see a Banner across the bottom of all Video that is Exported or Shared.

So whatever issue/concern  you may encounter with the Trial, it will not magically dissappear with the Purchased Version...

• 7. Re: My Review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8
                      BritKev Level 1

Pretty much concur with everything in the review - unfortunately as others have pointed out, most of us who get as far as this forum have already bought it and wish we hadn't.

Wish it had been stickied to the Adobe store page before I typed in my credit card number.

• 8. Re: My Review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8
                        mkinzlma1 Level 1

I also agree with this review on most points.

I had previously used PE3 and could capture and edit videos without problems.

After installing PE8 All I have is problems.

• 9. Re: My Review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8
                          Nemo_Ivarson Level 1

Thank you Kodebuster. Very nice when people have the true fact at hand. I wonder why so may hvave written about the diff between PRE  trial and full versions.

Any how. I'm happy that I now can start trying to figure out if it is my own misstake, PC short commings or the SW fault that PRE8 are relatively slow also for small clips on 50-500 MB  AVCHD format. Where the same files for PowrDirector8 is no issue. The only clear diff I have seen is in Task Manager that PRE8 only are active in 4 CPU usage history while PD8 are active in all 8 CPU usage history graphs.

• 10. Re: My Review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8
                            ozdroggy Level 1
                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Kodebuster wrote:

Nemo, the Trial Version of PE8 is exactly the same as the Purchased Version.

The only difference on the Trial is that you will see a Banner across the bottom of all Video that is Exported or Shared.

So whatever issue/concern  you may encounter with the Trial, it will not magically dissappear with the Purchased Version...

Currently using PE4 most successfully. As posted elsewhere I am worried about the stability of PE8 and would like to get back to PE4 easily if PE8 is NBG. Can I install PE8 Trial concurrently with PE4?

My system as per attachment.

Thanks for any info...

• 11. Re: My Review of Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 8
                              nealeh Level 5

You can have multiple versons of PRE installed. But be careful with your Projects. While PRE8 will probably open your PRE4 project the same is not true. Edit and Save in PRE8 and it is most unlikely that PRE4 could then open it.

Best to make a backup of your projects and create two working copies - one for each version.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children