10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 4:13 PM by CarlRMorgan

TEXT DISPLAY PROBLEM IN CAMERA RAW

CarlRMorgan

Hi

I have a text display problem in Camera Raw. Where there are labels to boxes that need to be ticked, e.g. in preferences, or settings to be pasted to another file, the text is illegibly printed. What is happening is it is taking the bottom half of the top line and the top half of the bottom line, rather than extending the line so the text is only on one line. This is a problem for me to see any options. It is the same on all label text throughout the program.

I have attached a couple of screenshots to illustrate the problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Carl

• 1. Re: TEXT DISPLAY PROBLEM IN CAMERA RAW
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could be a video-driver issue or a missing/corrupted font issue.  Not being an Adobe insider, I can't tell you what font is being used for those labels, though. 

Does restarting the computer help?

Did it used to work and now is bad, or is this the first time you've used ACR?

Do any other programs show this issue?

Did something change related to fonts or video, recently on your computer? 

Have you installed or uninstalled something recently?

• 2. Re: TEXT DISPLAY PROBLEM IN CAMERA RAW
            CarlRMorgan Level 1

Thanks for replying

Only in Camera Raw, not in Photoshop or anything else. Always has been like

it since I bought a new graphics card and monitor. I use a 1920 x 1200 24"

wide monitor. Was fine with old monitor (19").

• 3. Re: TEXT DISPLAY PROBLEM IN CAMERA RAW
              Panoholic Level 2

The problem is not with the monitor size but with the "pixel density" (never mind, that the physical pixel density of the monitor is given). Right click on the desktop and select Properties (or go to Control panel and select Display). On the Settings panel select Advanced; its General panel contains the DPI setting; I guess the setting is now larger than 96dpi.

I created a thread with this problem, that must have been for at least two years ago. The answer was, that 1. Adobe will solve the problem, 2. this is a problem only with Windows Classic style (on the Appearance tab). I have not tested it with the XP style, for I prefer the Classic style; I am cursing and living with this crap (my setting is 120dpi).

Btw, this can be much worse than half-legible labels: buttons, fields, texts can vanish completely (you may not even notice, that there should be some more buttons and options on the panel)..

Gabor

• 4. Re: TEXT DISPLAY PROBLEM IN CAMERA RAW

I think you mean that the OP needs to reset his pixel density to 96, right?

Now that you mention the solution, the issue is that the fields in ACR are designed for one-line of text with a particular font size, but the font that is being used on the computer is larger than what the field-length was designed for and so the text wraps to two lines and is centered vertically within the field so you get the bottom of the top line and the top of the bottom line instead of all of the one line.  If they had text-wrapping turned off on the labels you could at least read the first part of each phrase.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: TEXT DISPLAY PROBLEM IN CAMERA RAW
                  CarlRMorgan Level 1

Thank you Gabor for your response, it was grately appreciated. You were spot on in every respect.

I tried changing from Classic style to XP style and it worked - however, the XP style is not very pleasing to work with!

I tried reducing the settings dpi from 120 to 96 and it worked - however, the text was too small to read!

So you cannot view your work how you wish to when using an Adobe product. If there is anyone from Adobe out there with a solution, then I would be extremely grateful, as I am sure would others.

Regards

Carl

• 6. Re: TEXT DISPLAY PROBLEM IN CAMERA RAW
                    CarlRMorgan Level 1

Thanks for your response - it makes sense.

Regards

• 7. Re: TEXT DISPLAY PROBLEM IN CAMERA RAW

Can you post a screen-shot of what the text looks like after you reduce the DPI from 120 to 96?

• 8. Re: TEXT DISPLAY PROBLEM IN CAMERA RAW
                        CarlRMorgan Level 1

Can do. My system needs to be restarted with every change and I'm doing a

back up at the moment. It is normal text that appears on one line but very

small font size making it difficult to see. I will post one up in due

course.

Thanks

• 9. Re: TEXT DISPLAY PROBLEM IN CAMERA RAW
                          Panoholic Level 2

The problem is more serious; as I wrote, not only the text but the positioning of controls too can be affected. I encountered some application (not Adobe), which lacked a Cancel button. Turned out, that the button was there, but outside of the windows, i.e. invisible. It could be used with the Tab key.

This is not an easy issue; it is a "problem" with the Windows architecture. I have applications, for example Rawnalyze, which allows for changing the font size in the window through special keystrokes, because the text sizes can be from illegible small to exceeding the available size in the window, depending on the monitor and the setup at the user. However, the programming is a quite laborous task.

The reason that we don't encounter this problem very often is, that nowadays most programs are using other Windows interfaces for the dialog handling, which don't depend on those factors.

Gabor

• 10. Re: TEXT DISPLAY PROBLEM IN CAMERA RAW
                            CarlRMorgan Level 1

Interesting stuff - thanks again!