2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 9:18 AM by nealeh

Crashes in Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0....please help!!!

Sonnyhanley

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help me out - this is the first time I have posted on one of these but I don't know what else to try and I am very close to throwing my laptop out of the window.

The problem in a nutshell is that my Premiere Elements 4.0 crashes all the time! Whenever I try to cut or trim a video clip on the timeline or move it, it crashes. And if I try to export the timeline it begins to export but then crashes and give me an error like "unable to compile movie, unknown error" which is not terribly helpful.

I thought it might be my actual laptop so I wiped EVERYTHING off it back to when I first bought it and got it serviced which made the laptop run really smoothly but I still have the same problem with Premiere. I am at the end of my tether and I called tech support but they said they don't offer tech support on 4.0 and that I should go on the forums.

And here I am!

So can anyone help at all or is it the end for me and premiere?

Look forward to hearing from anyone.
      Oh….please bear in mind I am just a regular user and am not a techie so won't understand complicated solutions - step by step is the key I think!

Thanks in advance

Sonny

My laptop is a Sony Viao, with a intel Core2 duo processor 2.10 ghz, 4gb of memory, 200gb hdd, running vista home premium, and I have been using this premiere for well over a year without problems.
      I have all updates for Vista, Quicktime, etc.

• 1. Re: Crashes in Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0....please help!!!
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Many of the ideas at the next link are generic enough they have helped some Non-Premiere users fix problems

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 2. Re: Crashes in Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0....please help!!!
            nealeh Level 5

Sonnyhanley wrote:

I have been using this premiere for well over a year without problems.

If it has worked perfectly for a year then something else must have changed. Perhaps a video card driver (if you have Nvidia then read the many forum posts) or a new camcorder with a different video output.

You say that you have all the latest updates. Does this mean that after you reinstalled windows you then updated windows and all drivers? If so then, if the fault is driver related, you will have reinstalled the offending driver. You may have to reinstall windows and then install PRE4 next - before updating windowss and drivers. If that works, you should perform updates one at a time to see which is bringing down PRE.

The other possibility is that maybe your hardware is developing a fault e.g. memory.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children