8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2008 10:03 PM by Newsgroup_User

CSS border not displaying in Firefox??

Level 7
      Crikey, why can't everyone just be "friends" and create ONE compliant
      language...would have saved me hours of my life by now.

I've got a div id tag on my page, that contains content, and has a CSS width
      and border specification.
      In IE, the border shows fine, however there is simply no border in Firefox
      and I can't find anything on the web that identifies this as a known bug.

Any ideas?

body {
      background-color: #EFF5FE;
      font-family: Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
      font-weight: normal;
      color: #000000;
      margin: 0;
      }

a { color: #0000CC; text-decoration: underline; }
      a:hover { text-decoration: none; }

#header {
      width: 994px;
      background-color: #8DC0FF;
      border-left: 1px solid #A87E00;
      border-right: 1px solid #A87E00;

}

<div id="header">
      <br /><br />
      Text content within the header div area.
      </div>

In Firefox, no border left and right, but in IE, it's all fine.

Totally stuck.
      Hope someone can help.
      Regards
      Nathon.

• 1. Re: CSS border not displaying in Firefox??
          Level 7
          tradmusic.com wrote:
          > Crikey, why can't everyone just be "friends" and create ONE compliant
          > language...would have saved me hours of my life by now.

Its not the language, its the browsers implementation of the language
          which is the problem.

It would be much easier to see the page in question, is it online?

Steve
          • 2. Re: CSS border not displaying in Firefox??
            Level 7
            One browser then...I'm really fed up of this childish competition between
            browsers that just serves to frustrate it's developers. What, exactly, is
            the point?

I'd put it online, but that code is it...there's nothing more to it.

I do have an Unordered List within this head section. When I remove the
            Unordered List, the border shows, in Firefox, so why would an Unordered List
            prevent the border from appearing?

I've used Internet Explorer for years and years. Firefox comes along and,
            suddenly, everything looks weird or wrong. I'm very very disappointed with
            Firefox. It causes nothing but problems.

Nath.

"Dooza" <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote in message
            news:g2bn5c$ijr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > tradmusic.com wrote:
            >> Crikey, why can't everyone just be "friends" and create ONE compliant
            >> language...would have saved me hours of my life by now.
            >
            > Its not the language, its the browsers implementation of the language
            > which is the problem.
            >
            > It would be much easier to see the page in question, is it online?
            >
            > Steve
            >

• 3. Re: CSS border not displaying in Firefox??
              Level 7
              tradmusic.com wrote:
              > One browser then...I'm really fed up of this childish competition between
              > browsers that just serves to frustrate it's developers. What, exactly, is
              > the point?
              >
              > I'd put it online, but that code is it...there's nothing more to it.
              >
              > I do have an Unordered List within this head section. When I remove the
              > Unordered List, the border shows, in Firefox, so why would an Unordered List
              > prevent the border from appearing?
              >
              > I've used Internet Explorer for years and years. Firefox comes along and,
              > suddenly, everything looks weird or wrong. I'm very very disappointed with
              > Firefox. It causes nothing but problems.

Actually, Firefox is working, it always been much more compliant than
              IE, in fact if it wasn't for Firefox coming along and taking a good
              share of the market, IE wouldn't be at V7 or V8, as for a while they
              stopped developing it.

We have to code around the poor behaviour of IE, there are many hacks
              for IE, as it's does things strangely.

The reason I want to see your page is cos I want to see all of it,
              including the DOC type, as if thats wrong, it can throw browsers out. It
              would be really good if you could put it online.

Steve
              • 4. Re: CSS border not displaying in Firefox??
                Level 7
                Hi Steve,

If Firefox was working, why does my menu look like crap in it, but in IE it
                looks perfect?
                I'll admit that I get very frustrated with Firefox users who claim "Firefox
                is fine, it's IE that's at fault", yet its Firefox that is displaying the
                errors.

Page is available at:
                http://www.boxby.co.uk/NEWindexWEBASSIST.asp

On a general level, it's this lack of co-operation, between software
                companies, that makes IT completely pointless.
                The sooner we realise we're actually being hoodwinked, the better, but it's
                certainly convinced me that we, the public, aren't ever going to see
                reliable software because it's not in those companies interests to deliver
                reliable software.

Sorry for the rant, it's just that I'm completely worn out with rubbish like
                this, over something so simple.

Nath.

"Dooza" <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote in message
                news:g2bo2e$jtj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > tradmusic.com wrote:
                >> One browser then...I'm really fed up of this childish competition between
                >> browsers that just serves to frustrate it's developers. What, exactly,
                >> is the point?
                >>
                >> I'd put it online, but that code is it...there's nothing more to it.
                >>
                >> I do have an Unordered List within this head section. When I remove the
                >> Unordered List, the border shows, in Firefox, so why would an Unordered
                >> List prevent the border from appearing?
                >>
                >> I've used Internet Explorer for years and years. Firefox comes along
                >> and, suddenly, everything looks weird or wrong. I'm very very
                >> disappointed with Firefox. It causes nothing but problems.
                >
                > Actually, Firefox is working, it always been much more compliant than IE,
                > in fact if it wasn't for Firefox coming along and taking a good share of
                > the market, IE wouldn't be at V7 or V8, as for a while they stopped
                > developing it.
                >
                > We have to code around the poor behaviour of IE, there are many hacks for
                > IE, as it's does things strangely.
                >
                > The reason I want to see your page is cos I want to see all of it,
                > including the DOC type, as if thats wrong, it can throw browsers out. It
                > would be really good if you could put it online.
                >
                > Steve

• 5. Re: CSS border not displaying in Firefox??
                  Level 7
                  tradmusic.com wrote:
                  > Hi Steve,
                  >
                  > If Firefox was working, why does my menu look like crap in it, but in IE it
                  > looks perfect?
                  > I'll admit that I get very frustrated with Firefox users who claim "Firefox
                  > is fine, it's IE that's at fault", yet its Firefox that is displaying the
                  > errors.
                  >
                  > Page is available at:
                  > http://www.boxby.co.uk/NEWindexWEBASSIST.asp
                  >
                  > On a general level, it's this lack of co-operation, between software
                  > companies, that makes IT completely pointless.
                  > The sooner we realise we're actually being hoodwinked, the better, but it's
                  > certainly convinced me that we, the public, aren't ever going to see
                  > reliable software because it's not in those companies interests to deliver
                  > reliable software.
                  >
                  > Sorry for the rant, it's just that I'm completely worn out with rubbish like
                  > this, over something so simple.

No problem Nath, rants are fine :) I am out of time today, but will take
                  a look at it on Monday, and see what is going on.

Steve
                  • 6. Re: CSS border not displaying in Firefox??
                    Level 7
                    Looks pretty much the same for me. What's the problem?

> I'll admit that I get very frustrated with Firefox users who claim
                    > "Firefox is fine, it's IE that's at fault", yet its Firefox that is
                    > displaying the errors.

That's because FF doesn't render IE-proprietary markup. Most of the people
                    who are complaining about that don't realize that their code is littered
                    with those kinds of usages.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    ==================
                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    ==================

"tradmusic.com" <sales@NOSHPAMtradmusic.com> wrote in message
                    news:g2bpq9$lta$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Hi Steve,
                    >
                    > If Firefox was working, why does my menu look like crap in it, but in IE
                    > it looks perfect?
                    >
                    > Page is available at:
                    >
                    > The sooner we realise we're actually being hoodwinked, the better, but
                    > it's certainly convinced me that we, the public, aren't ever going to see
                    > reliable software.
                    >
                    > Sorry for the rant, it's just that I'm completely worn out with rubbish
                    > like this, over something so simple.
                    >
                    > Nath.
                    >
                    >
                    > "Dooza" <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote in message
                    > news:g2bo2e$jtj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> tradmusic.com wrote:
                    >>> One browser then...I'm really fed up of this childish competition
                    >>> between browsers that just serves to frustrate it's developers. What,
                    >>> exactly, is the point?
                    >>>
                    >>> I'd put it online, but that code is it...there's nothing more to it.
                    >>>
                    >>> I do have an Unordered List within this head section. When I remove the
                    >>> Unordered List, the border shows, in Firefox, so why would an Unordered
                    >>> List prevent the border from appearing?
                    >>>
                    >>> I've used Internet Explorer for years and years. Firefox comes along
                    >>> and, suddenly, everything looks weird or wrong. I'm very very
                    >>> disappointed with Firefox. It causes nothing but problems.
                    >>
                    >> Actually, Firefox is working, it always been much more compliant than IE,
                    >> in fact if it wasn't for Firefox coming along and taking a good share of
                    >> the market, IE wouldn't be at V7 or V8, as for a while they stopped
                    >> developing it.
                    >>
                    >> We have to code around the poor behaviour of IE, there are many hacks for
                    >> IE, as it's does things strangely.
                    >>
                    >> The reason I want to see your page is cos I want to see all of it,
                    >> including the DOC type, as if thats wrong, it can throw browsers out. It
                    >> would be really good if you could put it online.
                    >>
                    >> Steve
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: CSS border not displaying in Firefox??
                      Level 7
                      Nath,
                      The conflict appears to be in your CSSMW menu stylesheet. IE is ignoring it,
                      Firefox, Safari, et al are reading it correctly.

Change this:

ul#cssmw > li > span > a {
                      border-bottom: solid 1px #744A07;
                      border-top: solid 1px #744A07;

to this:
                      ul#cssmw > li > span > a {
                      border: solid 1px #744A07;
                      }

--Nancy O.
                      Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                      www.alt-web.com

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                      news:g2bq53$mai$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Looks pretty much the same for me. What's the problem?
                      >
                      > > I'll admit that I get very frustrated with Firefox users who claim
                      > > "Firefox is fine, it's IE that's at fault", yet its Firefox that is
                      > > displaying the errors.
                      >
                      > That's because FF doesn't render IE-proprietary markup. Most of the
                      people
                      > who are complaining about that don't realize that their code is littered
                      > with those kinds of usages.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      > Adobe Community Expert
                      > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                      > ==================
                      > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      > ==================
                      >
                      >
                      > "tradmusic.com" <sales@NOSHPAMtradmusic.com> wrote in message
                      > news:g2bpq9$lta$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > > Hi Steve,
                      > >
                      > > If Firefox was working, why does my menu look like crap in it, but in IE
                      > > it looks perfect?
                      > >
                      > > Page is available at:
                      > > http://www.boxby.co.uk/NEWindexWEBASSIST.asp
                      > >
                      > > On a general level, it's this lack of co-operation, between software
                      > > companies, that makes IT completely pointless.
                      > > The sooner we realise we're actually being hoodwinked, the better, but
                      > > it's certainly convinced me that we, the public, aren't ever going to
                      see
                      > > reliable software because it's not in those companies interests to
                      deliver
                      > > reliable software.
                      > >
                      > > Sorry for the rant, it's just that I'm completely worn out with rubbish
                      > > like this, over something so simple.
                      > >
                      > > Nath.
                      > >
                      > >
                      > > "Dooza" <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote in message
                      > > news:g2bo2e$jtj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > >> tradmusic.com wrote:
                      > >>> One browser then...I'm really fed up of this childish competition
                      > >>> between browsers that just serves to frustrate it's developers. What,
                      > >>> exactly, is the point?
                      > >>>
                      > >>> I'd put it online, but that code is it...there's nothing more to it.
                      > >>>
                      > >>> I do have an Unordered List within this head section. When I remove
                      the
                      > >>> Unordered List, the border shows, in Firefox, so why would an
                      Unordered
                      > >>> List prevent the border from appearing?
                      > >>>
                      > >>> I've used Internet Explorer for years and years. Firefox comes along
                      > >>> and, suddenly, everything looks weird or wrong. I'm very very
                      > >>> disappointed with Firefox. It causes nothing but problems.
                      > >>
                      > >> Actually, Firefox is working, it always been much more compliant than
                      IE,
                      > >> in fact if it wasn't for Firefox coming along and taking a good share
                      of
                      > >> the market, IE wouldn't be at V7 or V8, as for a while they stopped
                      > >> developing it.
                      > >>
                      > >> We have to code around the poor behaviour of IE, there are many hacks
                      for
                      > >> IE, as it's does things strangely.
                      > >>
                      > >> The reason I want to see your page is cos I want to see all of it,
                      > >> including the DOC type, as if thats wrong, it can throw browsers out.
                      It
                      > >> would be really good if you could put it online.
                      > >>
                      > >> Steve
                      > >
                      > >
                      >

• 8. Re: CSS border not displaying in Firefox??
                        Level 7
                        May I suggest as an alternative a joust with a windmill? At least your horse
                        will get some exercise.

:-)

--

Walt

"tradmusic.com" <sales@NOSHPAMtradmusic.com> wrote in message
                        news:g2bpq9$lta$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Hi Steve,
                        >
                        > If Firefox was working, why does my menu look like crap in it, but in IE
                        > it looks perfect?
                        > I'll admit that I get very frustrated with Firefox users who claim
                        > "Firefox is fine, it's IE that's at fault", yet its Firefox that is
                        > displaying the errors.
                        >
                        > Page is available at:
                        >
                        > The sooner we realise we're actually being hoodwinked, the better, but
                        > it's certainly convinced me that we, the public, aren't ever going to see
                        > reliable software.
                        >
                        > Sorry for the rant, it's just that I'm completely worn out with rubbish
                        > like this, over something so simple.
                        >
                        > Nath.
                        >
                        >
                        > "Dooza" <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote in message
                        > news:g2bo2e$jtj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >> tradmusic.com wrote:
                        >>> One browser then...I'm really fed up of this childish competition
                        >>> between browsers that just serves to frustrate it's developers. What,
                        >>> exactly, is the point?
                        >>>
                        >>> I'd put it online, but that code is it...there's nothing more to it.
                        >>>
                        >>> I do have an Unordered List within this head section. When I remove the
                        >>> Unordered List, the border shows, in Firefox, so why would an Unordered
                        >>> List prevent the border from appearing?
                        >>>
                        >>> I've used Internet Explorer for years and years. Firefox comes along
                        >>> and, suddenly, everything looks weird or wrong. I'm very very
                        >>> disappointed with Firefox. It causes nothing but problems.
                        >>
                        >> Actually, Firefox is working, it always been much more compliant than IE,
                        >> in fact if it wasn't for Firefox coming along and taking a good share of
                        >> the market, IE wouldn't be at V7 or V8, as for a while they stopped
                        >> developing it.
                        >>
                        >> We have to code around the poor behaviour of IE, there are many hacks for
                        >> IE, as it's does things strangely.
                        >>
                        >> The reason I want to see your page is cos I want to see all of it,
                        >> including the DOC type, as if thats wrong, it can throw browsers out. It
                        >> would be really good if you could put it online.
                        >>
                        >> Steve
                        >
                        >