4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 12:28 AM by ValPrince

How do I make Output and Transcode settings match?

ValPrince

Attempts to render to serveral different formats results in this error message:

After Effects: AEGP Plugin Media IO Plugin:
      There is a mismatch between Output Module settings and Transcode Settings.  Please verify your settings and try again.
      Property Data Invalid!
      MediaIO2 error: 0x400e0004
      Frame dimensions out of bounds
      ( 5027 :: 12 )

I'd like to try to output to an MPEG2 format, but After Effects won't let me. I get that error code. The Help pages had a little something about this mismatch thing, but nothing that actually helped me solve the problem. I'm not doing anything fancy. Just some text animation that amounts to having things fade in and out. Resolution is 960x720 because the result has to be projected on a large screen. Frame setting is 30 frames a second, because I don't know how to do the math of 29.97 frames per second in my head. I'm very new to the program, still finding my way around, but this problem is beyond anything I can figure out. So, how do I make the settings match? And what does "Frame dimensions out of bounds" mean?

• 1. Re: How do I make Output and Transcode settings match?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

How will you be playing the MPEG2 file for projection?  MPEG2 codecs are very fussy about the resolution used.  Almost certainly, the issue here is that the non-standard resolution you're using is a problem for the encoder.

• 2. Re: How do I make Output and Transcode settings match?
            ValPrince Level 1

The file will play off a computer hard drive for projection about 30 feet across a room to a large screen. But from what you're saying, the resolution is going to be a problem for most formats I'm guessing.I don't want to shrink the resolution if I don't have to, because even a little smaller than 960x720 and the whole thing starts looking fuzzy and/or pixelated. AVI files are currently too large for me to transport, and I was hoping MPEG2 would be small enough, but I can't know if it won't render. And I'm talking about rendering files that run on average about 5 minutes in length. AVI gives me something like 15 GB files, and until I get a portable hard drive, that's of no use to me.

If the resolution size is the problem, is there some place I can find out what the sizes for various formats need to be to render in After Effects? Or is there some way to keep the resolution and render in a similar format?

• 3. Re: How do I make Output and Transcode settings match?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For the best possible results you should be rendering to the native resolution of the computer feeding the projector, which in turn should be running at the native resolution of the projector.  Most contemporary projectors can run at XGA resolution (1024x768) which is quite close to your current target.

AE is not the world's greatest encoder and on my Mac, at least, the MainConcept MPEG Encoder it uses doesn't allow me to render MPEG2 at any resolutions except specific standards (PAL, NTSC, and various HD standards).  Neither your custom res or XGA are supported.  I'd strongly suggest you render a lossless version from AE (uncompressed AVI or Quicktime Animation) and then encode your delivery file with another tool.

I'd ditch MPEG2 personally and use a more PC-friendly codec like MPEG4 or H264, which are far more flexible in their resolution requirements.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I make Output and Transcode settings match?
                ValPrince Level 1

Okay. I'll work on that. Thanks much.