25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2010 7:09 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?

uhhehhahh

When i open illustrator the tool bar and everything else is gone, only the top menu is still there, i tried to activate tool bar under window menu, but that option is also gone.

I tried to use tab key, but it does not work either.

Anyone knows what to do?

• 1. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
          hari_kdr Level 1

Hi,

Click Window>Workspace>[Basic] you will get back your tool bars

HARI

• 2. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
            uhhehhahh Level 1

I tried that, but the problem is i do not even have that option under window, this is what my window menu list look like, see picture below

'

pi_3.jpg

• 3. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
              hari_kdr Level 1

hey!

do one thing, press command+shift+option+space and then click illustrator icon which is on your dock. this is just like reboot of your illustrator. so your i am sure you will get back of all...

HARI

• 4. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                hari_kdr Level 1

have you tried with this option, is it working????

• 5. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                  uhhehhahh Level 1

yes, i tried pressing command + shift + option + space while also clicking illustrator icon in the dock, but it does not seem to work.

• 6. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                    ganibh

try this way

quit the illustrator then press the command + shift

+ opiton click the illustrator icon in dock

• 7. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                      uhhehhahh Level 1

I tried to shut down the computer, and start up, and then pressed command + shift + option + space, and while still holding these keys down, i clicked illustrator icon in the dock, but it seems to not be able to reset, cause everything seems to be like before.

• 8. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                        hari_kdr Level 1

Hi,

Actually that comes when you press SHIFT key. Please check your key board whether Shift key is strucked or not. Here I am sending 2 snap shots for example, If I click shift key and press illustrator icon then comes like what you have problem.

And If I click normally or command+shift+option+space, then it comes correct.

please check and let me know...

HARI

• 9. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As far as I know, the way in newer versions to reset the preferences is Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift, without the bar or anything else. Or you may Other options (in any version).

• 10. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                            uhhehhahh Level 1

I have tried command  + option + shift, and it did not work.

I have tried the other commands recommended also

I tried to change keyboard to make sure the shift key wasn´t stuck

I went to library>preferences>adobe Ill CS3 settings> adobe Illustrator prefs, and threw that file away.

But it still does not work, hmm

• 12. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                              uhhehhahh Level 1

I have found the folder "Adobe Illustrator CS3 settings", manually without doing any search for "hidden files" or "including subfolders" etc.

Can i just remove that whole folder and put it on the desktop for a while without running the risk to destroy installation?

Can i just remove the "Adobe Illustrator CS3 settings" folder and count on that all the hidden files and subfolders will also follow?

• 13. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?

uhhehhahh,

Can i just remove that whole folder and put it on the desktop for a while without running the risk to destroy installation?

Yes, when you move it, a new folder with the original contents from your installing Illy will be inserted. You may get the customized settings back by moving the folder back, thus rereplacing the defaults; all with illy closed.

• 14. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                                  uhhehhahh Level 1

I moved the whole folder, while Illustrator was closed, and then restarted the program, but still, nothing happened.

• 15. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?

uhhehhahh,

What happens if you change your monitor resolution to the highest possible value (as many pixels as possible)?

Sometimes, things may disappear off screen, but I have never heard of everything rushing off in multiple directions.

I presume you have restored your preferences by moving the folder back.

• 16. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Frustrating isn't it?

You are on a mac and some of these guys do not seem to be aware of it.

This is the problem, it is common to create an alias of an applications icon to use on the desktop to launch the program, even though there is the doc.

The proper way to make an alias is to hold both the Command and Option keys down while clicking and dragging the applications icon and then releasing it when you reach the location where you want it to reside.

When in haste one sometimes either forgets or simply does not hold down both keys but instead holds down only the Option key. The Option key is equal to the Alt key.

So this does not produce an alias though it actually seems like it does exactly that, it actually produces a copy of the application.

So what of it?

Well depending on your system and permissions and all you now have two copies of the application one residing in the application folder where it
                                      belongs and one residing outside the folder more than likely on the desktop!

By launching the copy you have launch an application whose links to the various features of the application have been broken mostly tools and menu items do not show up. So you delete the copy. Now you can make a real alias by holding the Command Option keys or dragging the icon to the Dock.

But wait in either case since the preferences are also likely corrupt you should before launching trash the Adobe Illustrator CS 3 Settings folder then launch Illustrator your menu items will be there again.

I woud like to note to Jacob that he might consider asking the user if they are on windows or at least point out that his instructions for moving the settings folder is for  Windows user as it will do nothing for the Mac user.

The settings folder for the Mac is

Users/Username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS 3 Settings.

It is easier to find on the Mac as the location is consistent from version to version of the OS.

I explained this in detail so some of the Windows users can help Mac people when this happens I do not know if it can happen on the Windows platform.

• 17. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                                        uhhehhahh Level 1

First off, thank you all for taking the time to try to help me.

@ jacob, i tried to change resolution, but i noticed i already had it on highest possible resolution

@ Wade_Zimmerman, not sure i understand where you talk about making aliases. I never intended to do a re-installation or move the actual Illustrator program or its start up Icon. I only tried to move the "Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings" folder.

I tried to remove the whole folder "Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings", while the program was closed, and then restart the program, and i noticed only 2 files where created in that folder when launching the program, the folder that i just removed contained like 6 files, but it still did not have any effect, the toolbar and the option to choose these things are still missing in the window menu list.

• 18. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                                          girljoy23

I also find myself having the *exact* same problem today after using Illustrator cs3 for months without ever losing the tools panel before. Also on a mac and have tried everyone's thoughtful suggestions. Would appreciate any other ideas along with uhhehhahh. Thanks!

• 19. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                                            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Now what I told you is so, this is what is causing this and you will either make the effort to understand or you will not solve the problem.

You did try to make an alias and you goofed up, that is correct you made mistake, this is user error.

That is the first thing you have to accept if you cannot so be it, but I will never try to assist you again.

This is the problem I can easily reproduce as I know what you did.

Here take a look, does this look familiar.

Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 2.23.02 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 2.24.28 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 2.24.20 PM.png

Does the icon on the left look familiar?

Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 2.23.39 PM.png

That is the application outside of the Adobe Illustrator folder.

That's correct you moved it either on purpose or by mistake outside of the folder
                                            and that is why the two of you do not have menu items and tools.

Now the way to fix this is the way I wrote before and this is user error.

And I have met other users on the forum who could not admit they made a mistake before as well.

I am writing this actually for users who really want help and have no problems admitting the did something in error.

I have nothing else to say about this

• 20. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                                              uhhehhahh Level 1

Hey, Wade, relax, i am the first to admit i make mistakes, in fact i do it all the time.

When i replied to your first answer, it was more like a regular conversation to check, wether i might have misunderstood you, and if so, you could have the chance to further explain what you meant with another reply (as you also did, but you misunderstood me somewhat, and read my reply as somewhat hostile), or you could tell me, that you actually might have misunderstood my question.

Anyway,it turns out i did not understand, so i thank you for further explaining your point.

Right now i am sitting at another computer, so i can´t try your advice right away, but will look into this tomorrow when i have access to the computer.

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

• 21. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                                                uhhehhahh Level 1

@ Wade

It sounds like there might be that kind of an error that you suggest, that there might be 2 versions of Illustrator and that´s why i get this error.

However i have searched the hard drive to see if there are some additional Illustrator programs, and i can´t find any, no additional icones, no aliases. There is only one program called Illustrator CS3, and i grab that Icon and put it in the dock.

See the picture below, that is what it looks like. I am REALLY confused to say the least...

• 22. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                                                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Are you trying to be cute or something.

Now anyone can easily see that that is the application without the applicatiob fiolder even a newbie and you are not that.

You whoud have had to remove that application from the folder and placed in the application folder without the Illustrator folder in order for this to happen.

You I am not going to help but for anyone else that visits this thread they have deliberately remove the application from the Adobe Illustrator folder this breaks all links to the essential pats of Illustrator and is the reason he has no menu items. It is the only reason this happens.

This person thinks they are smart and can fool us.

This is what an properly install Adobe Illustrator looks like

It has both the Illustrator folder and the applications and components

you would have to deliberately move them to get what the OP is showing

anything they write is suspect from here on as far as I am concerned.

Screen shot 2010-01-09 at 9.05.33 AM.png

• 23. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                                                    uhhehhahh Level 1

I did not pay any attention to the fact that the whole folder was corrupt, but yes, you are correct, thank you!

I guess it explains it all.

• 24. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?

uhhehhahh and girljoy,

Your case(s) may call for a reinstallation.

Obviously, you should save all artwork, which you should do regularly in any case, first.

You may try simply uninstalling and reinstalling Illy.

If that does not work, in other words leaves you in the same mess, you may reinstall the whole suite. If you do, you may do it in three stages:

1) Uninstall,

2) Use the Clean Script, http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

3) Reinstall.

2) is for cleaning up any mess left by incomplete removal of remnants.

Edit: Unless the issue was resolved while I was writing this post.

• 25. Re: tool bar, and everything else is gone, how do i get it back?
                                                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Jacob there is no way the installer installed the application without the application folder which is the first thing it installs.

The fact that the Op states they moved nothing absolutely does not make sense unless they actually moved it.

This is a known issue from way back and if one goes back into the archive one can find this I am certain.

Neither of the two posters just all of a sudden started having this problem without either making a copy of the application by mistake or deliberately moving the application. I suspect that if I had not made such a stink we would have yet another person join us stating that all of sudden they too are having this problem.

This has happened before on the Mac illustrator forum where the OP and two other people insisted nothing that was suggested changed anything including reinstalling the system on the photoshop forum as well. Trust me on this it is a waste of time if they insist that they did not try to make an alias and or move the application out of the folder.

It is the only way this will happen on the modern system.

In OS 9 there was another very rare possibility but that is not possible.

If they have trashed the application folder yes they will have to reinstall.

if they tried to copy the application from another computer then yes they will have to reinstall since they did not copy the whole folder.

But they clearly did not state this as being the case so the whole posting does not make sense.