8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 1:19 AM by stephgravity

How to prevent itemFocusOut event of DataGrid, which is being fired twice?

megharajdeepak Level 1

Hi,

I came across this problem, where the function defined for itemFocusOut is triggered twice!!! I'm goin' crazy....

here's my test code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute">

<mx:Script>
          <![CDATA[
              import mx.events.DataGridEvent;

private function onFocusOut(event:DataGridEvent):void{

trace("event called...");
              }
          ]]>
      </mx:Script>
          <mx:DataGrid x="204" y="140" itemFocusOut="onFocusOut(event)" editable="true">
              <mx:dataProvider>
                  <mx:ArrayCollection>
                      <mx:Object col1="" col2="" col3=""/>
                  </mx:ArrayCollection>
              </mx:dataProvider>
              <mx:columns>
                  <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Column 1" dataField="col1"/>
                  <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Column 2" dataField="col2"/>
                  <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Column 3" dataField="col3"/>
              </mx:columns>
          </mx:DataGrid>

</mx:Application>

This is my output:

[SWF] D:\workspace\testothers\bin-debug\testDG.swf - 979,723 bytes after decompression
      event called...
      event called...

How can I prevent it? I searched forum for solution, but couldn't find any.....

Appreciate your help

--Deepak

• 1. Re: How to prevent itemFocusOut event of DataGrid, which is being fired twice?
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

I see it once per click or tab.  What version of the SDK are you using?

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Developer

Adobe Systems Inc.

Blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

• 2. Re: How to prevent itemFocusOut event of DataGrid, which is being fired twice?
            megharajdeepak Level 1

Hi Alex,

I'm working on 3.2. And I get that problem on mouse click, tab and enter.

--Deepak

• 3. Re: How to prevent itemFocusOut event of DataGrid, which is being fired twice?

I tried your code in 3.2 and don't see the problem.

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Developer

Adobe Systems Inc.

Blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

• 4. Re: How to prevent itemFocusOut event of DataGrid, which is being fired twice?
                megharajdeepak Level 1

I still have the same problem

Is there some kind of compiler settings or complier arguments, I'm suposed to follow?

Meanwhile I was downloading SDK 3.5 from here: http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/download?build=3.5.0.12683&pkgtype=1 . Hope it works there atleast.....

• 6. Re: How to prevent itemFocusOut event of DataGrid, which is being fired twice?

Maybe try tracing mouseDown/mouseUp and keyDown/keyUp and see if you really

are getting two-for-one

• 7. Re: How to prevent itemFocusOut event of DataGrid, which is being fired twice?
                    megharajdeepak Level 1

it's still getting fired twice...... I can still manage this, I don't have any problem with the event being triggered twice. In my application on whcih I'm working on, I'm calling a function on itemFocusOut which works fine for the first time. But when it gets triggered for the second time(which has been a problem for me), it calls some destroyItemEditor() and i get a error stack.

Here's my code:

private function onItemFocusOut (event:DataGridEvent):void{

if(event.currentTarget.editedItemPosition.columnIndex == 3){   //if the selected cell is from Date column

var splitEnteredDate:Array = event.target.itemEditorInstance.text.split( '.' );

var todayDate:Date = new Date();
                                        var sixMonthDelayDate:Date = new Date();

var todayDateString:String = dateFormatter.format(todayDate);

var splitTodayDate:Array = todayDateString.split( '.' );

//enteredDate = new Date(splitEnteredDate[2], splitEnteredDate[1]-1, splitEnteredDate[0]);
                                        sixMonthDelayDate = new Date(splitTodayDate[2], splitTodayDate[1]-1, splitTodayDate[0]);
                                        sixMonthDelayDate.month = sixMonthDelayDate.getMonth() - 6;

var enteredDateString:String = event.target.itemEditorInstance.text;
                                        var sixMonthDelayDateString:String = dateFormatter.format(sixMonthDelayDate);

//See if the entered date is less than 6months from today's date

if(DateField.stringToDate(enteredDateString,"DD.MM.YYYY") <= DateField.stringToDate(sixMonthDelayDateString,"DD.MM.YYYY")){

event.currentTarget.itemEditorInstance.errorString = "Date cannot be less than 6 months from today's date.";

Alert.show("Date cannot be less than 6 months from today's date. You entered "+enteredDateString+".", "Invalid date");

}

}

}       

This is the error message:

Error: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
                         at mx.controls::DataGrid/destroyItemEditor()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framewor k\src\mx\controls\DataGrid.as:4000]
                         at mx.controls::DataGrid/itemEditorItemEditEndHandler()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projec ts\framework\src\mx\controls\DataGrid.as:4897]
                         at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
                         at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
                         at mx.core::UIComponent/dispatchEvent()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src \mx\core\UIComponent.as:9298]
                         at mx.controls::DataGrid/endEdit()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\c ontrols\DataGrid.as:4041]
                         at mx.controls::DataGrid/mouseDownHandler()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework \src\mx\controls\DataGrid.as:4296]

Here, with that error, if I say, "Continue", I get the Alert message twice.

Since, itemFocusOut was triggering twice, and which I thought was root causel, I thought of testing it in some test application before, which was posted earlier.

• 8. Re: How to prevent itemFocusOut event of DataGrid, which is being fired twice?
                      stephgravity Level 1

maybe try to remove the listener when the event is caught the first time and readd-it after you process something

Stephanie