15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 8:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Problem playing avi file converted from vob files

Elio38

Hi all,

I extracted the vob files from a dvd and converted them to an avi file, then I imported it to premiere. The video and audio sequences play all mixed, not in the order they were originally edited. I converted the files using the format: XviD MPEG-4 codec, was the right way of doing it or should I use a different format? Please help.

Thanks,

Elio

• 1. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
          Level 4

Hi

I tried to find an article by Bill Hunt called, "DVD-VOB Files-The Lowdown" for you, but I can't find it on the internet. I have it printed out but don't have the file on my computer anymore.

It kinda explains a lot about VOB files and the DVD structure , and how best to try editing ....

He is away for the week but someone else here might be able to help you too...

Basically the article says it is best to try ripping the MPEG 2 file from the VOB but that there may be problems with multiple VOB's because the MPEG 2 files can span multiple VOB's (due to size limit of VOB). There are apparently also IFO and BUP files on the DVD ...are you just trying to get VOB files off the DVD?

I read something about maybe you should try to make AVI type 2 files from the VOB (mpeg 2 within the AVI ? )

There's a program called GSpot which is freeware, that will tell you about the VOB file, and will tell you what codec is used. Also, it can show you what might work for converting it on your computer with the codecs you have installed.

I tried playing around with some VOB files a few weeks ago and it was very difficult for me which is why I have that article by Bill Hunt ...

I think you need to be more explicit about what you have in your VOB file(s) and GSpot will help you do that.  Then someone here may be able to help you.

Good luck...

Rod

ps. You will be dealing with stuff already compressed and when exporting will be compressed again, so be aware you might not get the best quality exported.

• 2. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Elio,

That is absolutely the wrong approach. Either convert to MS DV AVI type2 (Use Google to find a suitable converter) or rename the VOB files to MPG and try. If you have 5.1 AC3 audio in the VOB's, you need to demux first, then convert the audio to PCM/WAV 48 KHz. Look here: http://www.doom9.org/

• 3. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
              Powered by Design Level 4

You didnt say what version of Premiere you have ?

CS4 can edit VOB files if I remember correct.

Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Here is a link to the Premiere Wiki:

http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:How_do_I_import_VOB_files_/_edit_a_DVD%3F

Glenn

• 4. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Xvid/Divx are NOT edit formats

Some reading...

Notes on Editing Compressed Files http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM#edcf

What CODEC is INSIDE that AVI? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

Tools to Convert to DV-AVI http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
                  Level 4

Harm,

I went to that link , doom9.org...pretty cool place...and one thing led to another (following links)..and I ended up seeing areference to this:

<<<<

Then we have the beta test of a new input method for x264 - the new input method allows to open almost any file without AviSynth and can handle variable framerate content without timecode file.

>>>>

Which led to these terms...which I for the life of me can't figure out in a way that really makes sense to me...

sample 1
                  The LGPL-licensed libavcodec by FFmpeg includes an H.264 decoder. It can decode Baseline Profile, Main Profile and High Profile video. It is used in many programs like in the free VLC media player and MPlayer multimedia players

sample 2
                  .....The encoder conforms to Main Profile. The decoder supports Baseline, Extended, and most of Main Profile.

What does "baseline" "main profile" "high profile" video mean?  "Extended" ?

I've seen choices of "baseline, main, high" profile" in CS3..under H264 NTSC DV preset... and also "Level" 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc...

But I honestly don't get what this stuff really means....  Can you point me to a good reference to explain the basics of the meanings ??  Kind of like, "Baseline, Main and High profiles For Dummies" type of thing ??  Thanks !

Rod

• 6. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
                    Elio38 Level 1

Harm,

Thanks for the input! one more question, after renaming the vob file to mpg, should I try to convert it to an avi file with a video converter?

• 7. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

If it works after renaming, don't do anything else. Every conversion leads to quality loss, and just renaming the file does not convert, so you keep the orginal quality. The problem may be the audio, which is why I said you may need to demux if the audio is AC3. But if it works, go and edit without any further actions.

• 8. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
                        Elio38 Level 1

Hello Harm,

Thanks for all your help so far! I renamed the VOB file to a MPG, then I converted it to a MPEG1,2 format, but now the apect ratio needs to be scale back to the original footage, and that will certainly make it lose video quality, any suggestions to keep the original aspect ratio by using a different conversion format?

Thanks

• 9. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                          I renamed the VOB file to a MPG, then I converted it to a MPEG1,2 format

That is all you should do, renaming, nothing else. Converting will cause a generation loss. What happens when you only rename the file and import it? BTW, your sequence should be an MPEG2 setting.

• 10. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
                            Elio38 Level 1

Harm,

When I try to import the remaned file renamed VOB file to .MPG, Premiere pops up this "File Import Failure" that says "File Format not supported" that's why I thought it needed to be converted to a different format first, any thoughts?

Elio

• 11. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

This probably implies you have AC3 audio in your mix.  Then you will need to demux into an MPG video stream and an AC3 audio stream, which may need to be converted to a PCM/WAV stream.

• 12. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Or, To work with AC3 sound files in Premiere CS3, copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore CS3 directory into the Premiere directory

• 13. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

Here is that ARTICLE on VOB's.

Now, one should use VOB's ONLY when there is no better choice, such as when one's camera records to mini-DVD, or when a one ONLY has the finished DVD-Video, and does NOT have the original DV-AVI (or similar) footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
                                    Level 4

Hi Bill

Ya, thanks for the VOB article link...I dumped it when I printed it and put it in the book.

hmmm, that's interesting...do most cameras that record to mini-dvd make VOB ??

I think you once suggested that at this point sticking with mini tape, DV , makes sense, until the prosumer market stuff got more steam....is that one of the reasons, and not mini dvd ?

Are you back from your trip?  Or posting from some far off country ??

Rod

• 15. Re: Problem playing avi file converted from vob files
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

do most cameras that record to mini-dvd make VOB ??

This is only a guess, but I would say that most do. The concept is that the users of these cameras will only want to pop the mini-DVD into a computer, or set-top player, and play the footage, not edit it in any way. However, I don't have any such cameras, so there could well be exceptions.

The main constituent part of a VOB is the enclosed MPEG-2 AV file. The first VOB can also have Menus and navigation, plus some other things. The later VOB's, if there is more than one, will be just the MPEG-2 AV file inside. Where programs, like PrPro CS4, that can Import VOB's and work with them, have issues are with the Menus and navigation. If the camera, or device, does an Auto-Play DVD-Video, there are few issues. However, some do add Menus and navigation, and if these are not 100% DVD-compliant, trouble will follow. If one has a DVD-Video, created from Encore, or another 100% DVD-compliant program/device, PrPro CS4 will be able to handle it. Devices, like DVR's, really mess things up with their Menus and navigation. Ripping that first VOB is often the ONLY solution.

The miniDV tape might be fading, as more flash memory recording is introduced, but for this moment in time, is still the tested "best source." Next year - who knows? As more good HD sources come out, and allowances are made for these by Adobe, things will change, albeit perhaps a bit slowly.

Yes, back from the snowy and cold Smoky Mountains. Too much food and too much wine, but with roaring fires and excellent service, things were just fine. Who wants to go hike the Winter mountains, when there's a 300,000 blt. wine cellar? Not this boy, for sure.

Hope that this helps. Maybe others, with a lot more experience with miniDVD cameras can step in with the exceptions.

Hunt