5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 10:42 AM by gigasaurus

FLVs and F4Vs will not load when played from Server

gigasaurus Level 1

I create FLVs and F4Vs and then use CS4 to create an SWF to stream them.  Everything works well from my hard drive.  I upload all the files to a server, the skin appears, but a green animated bar just scrolls endlessly - which I believe means the FLV/F4V is not loading.  I try this on about 5 different servers and get the same problem on each - so I'm not sure I can call my hosting service and request "changing the mime-type" will solve the problem.

The path to the video appears to be relative - that is, I can copy my exported files to any folder on my local drive and the video plays.  Its just when I upload it that it stops working.

Can someone please help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

Here is an example:  http://mcgrumbles.com/temp/delme/

I can see that my browser says "file not found" when I link to the f4v directly:

http://mcgrumbles.com/temp/delme/GodardRockShow.f4v

Does this mean all 5 servers I am testing from are expressing the same "mime-type" problem?  If so this seems like a pervasive problem.

• 1. Re: FLVs and F4Vs will not load when played from Server
          funkysoul Level 4

There are multiple reasons for this problem:

• A typo in the file name
          • the mime*type could indeed be an issue

can you post a screenshot of the component inspector showing the path to the file?

I've posted a tutorial on my blog a while ago while working with the components, maybe this helps you a bit around.

http://blog.six4rty.ch/tutorials/flash-cs3-play-h264-video-using-the-flvplayback-component /

• 2. Re: FLVs and F4Vs will not load when played from Server
            gigasaurus Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

The exported swf/html does work from my hard-drive on the PC I created this with.

The component inspector shows the path to my .f4v, sort of like this:

source     c:\myFolders\...\myFile.f4v

It appears the path to the f4v is being stored as a full-path rather than a relative path.  (ie if I copy my exported files to another folder, then rename the original f4v it stops working).

HOW CAN I force flash to use a RELATIVE PATH to the f4v (rather than the full path) so it can be played in any location?

• 3. Re: FLVs and F4Vs will not load when played from Server
              funkysoul Level 4

You cannot force it. the only way to work with it is following:

on the component inspector source path: put the fileame instead of using the browse button, of if you know where the file is going to be located on the webserver and you know how where your swf is then you can just use the relative path to it.

example:

your swf is on the root of the site www.abc.com

your flv is in a folder called videos (www.abc.com/videos)

The path you should type into the source of the component would be "videos/myvideo.flv"

Example2:

You put the flv in the same location where you saved your .fla file and link to it using the browse button, when you upload you should also keep the flv inside the same folder where the .swf relies.

Cheers

• 4. Re: FLVs and F4Vs will not load when played from Server
                carl schooff Level 3

in addition to the above (this might save you some trouble someday) flvs are loaded relative to the swf, but all other external assets like, jpg, gif and xml are loaded relative to the html page.

• 5. Re: FLVs and F4Vs will not load when played from Server
                  gigasaurus Level 1

Thankyou very much to those who responded - it gave me enough info to piece together my problem.

I was importing my FLV and THEN saving my FLA.  So the path to the FLV was getting stored as a full path.

If I instead save my FLA first in the proper location and THEN import my FLV, the path gets stored as relative.

Now when I save the exported files to various parts of my network, other PCs are able to play the files.

It is not yet working on my hosted server, but I have put in a request for them to check the mime-type issue (which I'd like to believe will solve that).

Thanks again.