11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 9:33 PM by kglad

MouseOver Change Layers?

boletusEdulis Level 1

Greetings!

I have been tasked to create banner that has four mouseover areas. The main body of the banner--which includes hyperlinks--and the background of the entire banner must change as the user mouses over the four areas. See the diagrams at the following link (it is not working properly):

http://www.miklas.org/forum_questions/mouseover_question.htm

I attempted to complete this task as follows, but it really isn't behaving properly. I created a layer of buttons and text, and set the alpha levels to 0 for the "over" state of each button. I then created four separate layers containing the appropriate content. When the user mouses over a button on the left, the proper layer would be displayed. I planned to use Actionscript to accomplish this; pseudocode here:

IF button1.mouseover == true THEN { display layer1, hide layers 2, 3, and 4 }

IF button2.mouseover == true THEN { display layer2, hide layers 1, 3, and 4 }

IF button3.mouseover == true THEN { display layer3, hide layers 1, 2, and 4 }

IF button4.mouseover == true THEN { display layer4, hide layers 1, 2, and 3 }

The problem is that when the user mouses away, the content disappears. Once the user mouses over a mouseover area, I want the content on the right to stay viewable.

Is this the correct way to proceed? Any suggestions? I'm new to Flash, but not new to programming, so I may not be thinking about htis propoerly.

Thanks for your help!