2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 8:46 PM by eyeojo1

Delete individual frames?

eyeojo1

Hello, is there a simple way to delete individual films from the timeline or source monitor?  Essentially I want a ripple delete without having to set in/out points and extract...I need to do this repetitively, so was dismayed when I couldn't simply hit delete.  I use this for science where we acquire many bad frames that need to be deleted, and I would love to do everything in CS3 or 4 if it is possible.

Any help is very much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Delete individual frames?
          Level 4

Hi,

I've only been using Premiere CS3 for a few weeks. There are people here in the forum who are very good at this stuff and know a LOT...who can help you with this problem.

Interestingly, I was thinking of working with indivdual frames a few weeks ago and got some information from this forum how I might work with sequences of individual frames for animation and manipulating the images in photoshop, etc.  It worked out that looking into what you want to do (the time it took me to investigate this just now) was good for me, as I now know how to do some things I didn't know before.

Offhand I would say that there is no easy way for you to just delete individual frames or ranges of frames from a clip on the timeline without making your in / out points.  There is one way that it might be automated for you, however, and that would be creating what amounts to a "macro" to do the deletion of a frame under the CTI.  There is a program by Adobe called "Extend Script Toolkit 2" that I have on my computer....The following text is from the help file of that program, to give you an idea what it can help you do....

<<<<<<

FROM HELP FILE OF ADOBE EXTEND SCRIPT TOOLKIT 2

Introduction

Scripting is a powerful tool that can be used to control and automate many features of many Adobe®
          applications—saving you so much time and effort that it can completely change the way you approach
          your work.

Isn’t scripting difficult to learn?

Scripting isn’t programming. You don’t need a degree in computer science or mathematics to write basic
          scripts that automate a wide variety of common tasks.
          Each scripting item corresponds to a tool or a palette or menu item in an Adobe application. In other
          words, each scripting element is something you already know through your Adobe expertise. If you know
          what you’d like your Adobe applications to do, you can easily learn to write scripts.

Why use scripting?

Your work is characterized by creativity, but many of the actual hands-on tasks are anything but creative.
          Most likely, you spend a lot of time doing the same or similar procedures over and over again.
          Wouldn’t it be great to have an assistant—one that happily does the mind-numbing tasks, follows your
          instructions with perfect and predictable consistency, is available any time you need help, works at
          lightning speed, and never even sends an invoice?
          Scripting can be that assistant. With a small investment of time, you can learn to script the simple but
          repetitive tasks that eat up your time. However, while it’s easy to get started, modern scripting languages
          provide the necessary depth to handle very sophisticated jobs. As your scripting skills grow, you may move
          on to more complex scripts that work all night while you’re sleeping.

How do I know when to use scripting?

Think about your work—is there a repetitive task that’s driving you crazy? If so, you’ve identified a
          candidate for a script. Next, you simply figure out:
          What are the steps involved in performing the task?
          What are the conditions in which you need to do the task?
          Once you understand the process you go through to perform the task manually, you are ready to turn it
          into a script.

What about actions or macros?

If you have used Actions or written macros, you have some idea of the efficiency of using scripts. But
          scripting goes beyond the capability of Actions or macros by allowing you to manipulate multiple
          documents and multiple applications in a single script. For example, you can write a script that
          manipulates an image in Photoshop and then tells InDesign to incorporate the image.

Additionally, your script can very cleverly get and respond to information. For example, you may have a
          document that contains photos of varying sizes. You can write a script that figures out the size of each
          photo and creates a different colored border based on the size, so that icons have blue borders, small
          illustrations have green borders, and half-page pictures have silver borders.

END OF HELP FILE NOTES

>>>>>>>>>>

Perhaps you know someone who is familiar with javascript or some other similar scripting language (or yourself for that matter) who can help you with looking into the above solution.

------------

As for my own interest in dealing with individual frames from a video clip , here is what I did in order to explore how fast it might be for you to use the same technique....

Select video clip in Premiere and export as TIFF or TARGA...(a directory or folder just for that sequence as there may be thousands of frames) which makes individual frames from your sequence.

Now use a program of your choice to look at the images and delete the ones you don't want.  I would use something that is simple and doesn't use a lot of your computers resources....like some simple edit program a lot of digital still cameras provide for free when you buy the camera.

When you're done deleting what you don't want you will have to rename your files so that they are once again a linear sequence without missing numbers...to import back into Premiere as a sequence (video clip).  To do that I used a free program called RENAMER , which someone here at this forum recommended.  It worked great, once I figured out a few things....(like, you can't have missing numbers to import or it stops importing where the numbers stop being sequential )....

You can use wildcards in the RENAMER program and you use "RULES"  that you make to rename the files to your liking, including making them sequential (continuously) again....like before you deleted the frames you didn't like.

I tested by exporting a clip, deleting about 200 frames, renamed the files, and imported back to Premiere, and everything worked great !

Hope some of this info helps you

Rod

• 2. Re: Delete individual frames?
            eyeojo1 Level 1

Thanks a lot Rod, that really helped!