5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 1:33 PM by Kodebuster

Why dont the simplest of tasks work when it comes to Adobe?

Gettingonmynerves

I am ready to throw Adobe in the freaking bin! Got Premiere Elements for Christmas and have been playing around with it. Shot some footage, imported it and none of the clips had a picture of what it was. Then after playing around for a while, suddenly two or three clips did have pictures of what the clip was as apposed to a blank, blue kind of logo for each clip. Then I tried some stuff in the organizer. Since I cant see what the clips are I decided to write a caption or rename the clips. Guess what? Nothing flippin happens! The clip just sits there with the date as the title underneath the blue logo. How the hell am I meant to know which clip is which? Does Adobe pride itself on making the simplest of tasks agonizingly difficult or impossible? I may not be the most computer literate person but Im no idiot. Thought Id try looking up help but that sent me to some web page trying to sell me the program Im trying to get help about. What kind of morons developed all this!? Can someone help before I go insane trying to use this ******* software?

• 1. Re: Why dont the simplest of tasks work when it comes to Adobe?
          Paul787 Level 3

First question is, what type vidoe files are they (VOB, M-JPEG, DV-AVI, etc.,) or what is the model of camcorder/camera the files are from? Second, what are the general specs of your computer?

• 2. Re: Why dont the simplest of tasks work when it comes to Adobe?
            Gettingonmynerves Level 1

Computer is HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook, 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo T9400, 4GB RAM

Camcorder is a JVC Everio GZ-HD10AA AVCHD

Clips are saved as .MTS

The clips play. I can open them in the organizer and also in the editing part (although I have to wait for about 20 minutes for "Background Rendering", even if I havent changed anything). I know there will be a lot to learn but it seems retarded that even something simple like changing the name of the clips doesnt seem to work. It seems very user unfreindly to me. If it cant do something simple like rename a file why waste my time learning how to use this software?

• 3. Re: Why dont the simplest of tasks work when it comes to Adobe?
              Kodebuster Level 3

Gettingonmynerves, in my honest opinion, you will be gettingabsolutelynowhere in your attemp to edit AVCHD files natively with PE using a Laptop.

Your system is seriously underpowered for the task at hand.

Most folks would recommend at least a Quad Core desktop, tuned for perfomance.

What you might try is to convert the AVCHD to traditional HDV via this link:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390605?tstart=0

This may buy you some relief, but even with the convert, I think it will still be a challenge to edit these formats on a laptop.

You could also try to down convert the video via the Camera, if that feature is available. I don't have or use a High Def Camera at this time so I can't help much with the Camera possibilities.

Again it's not an issue with the laptop itself, it probably works great for it's intended use, unfortunately it is not up to the task, performance wise, for editing the ACVHD or High Def formats with PE...

Good Luck...

• 4. Re: Why dont the simplest of tasks work when it comes to Adobe?
                Letmethink

1. Background rendering works when a clip is not project native or simple term if it required rendering. You can turn it off (if annoying) by Edit>PreferencesGeneral and UnCheck "Enable Background Rendering". So no wait reuqired to work on Video.

2. You have AVCHD files, you can sort by Name, Date, Time, Tags,..... Before using organizer functionality, you have to understand how it works. You can create Smart Album or Assign Tag....

3. If you like to rename a clip as you already Imported. Go to Project view and click on Text part or right click on Clip to rename it.

4. As you already have good config netbook, you can edit AVCHD on this.

Share your findings.

• 5. Re: Why dont the simplest of tasks work when it comes to Adobe?
                  Kodebuster Level 3

Again, in my honest opinion, a dual-core Notebook is underpowered when it comes to editing ACVHD with PE.

Assuming you can get it to work without the System/App hanging or freezing up, the wait times for rendering/transcoding/encoding will become so painfull, it will usually make for an ugly experience.

Good Luck...