14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 6:25 AM by the_wine_snob

fix for crash after opening Transitions Window?

Margthecar2 Level 1
      I am working on a small project with a few standard def avi files and some still jpgs. When I click on Window-->Transitions, PrE 8 crashes every time and I get the dialog box to send an error report to Adobe. This is under Windows 7 64-bit. I just upgraded but had the EXACT same problem running PrE 7 under Vista 64-bit. I am really that the upgrade did not fix it. Anyone have any suggestions to stop the Transitions Window from causing a crash?

My specs are PrE 8, Windows 7 64-bit, 6 GB RAM, about 500 GB free HD space, Intel core i7-920 at 2.66GHz, 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850

Thanks.

• 1. Re: fix for crash after opening Transitions Window?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is virtually always a memory issue -- although, clearly, with your hardware specs, it's not a TRUE issue with your power or RAM.

It's often related to, for instance, the size of your photos. Have you sized your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels, per the FAQs to the right of this forum? Oversized photos are the chief reason for overloads with this program.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

You should also manually go to Windows Update and ensure you have the latest updates and go to Apple and ensure you have the latest Quicktime.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: fix for crash after opening Transitions Window?
            Margthecar2 Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for your prompt reply.  It has taken me a couple days to find the time to check out yours and others suggestions (I also posted this on Elements Village).  So, I believe the problem is solved, and was due to either too-large JPGs as you suggested or some wierd memory use by the Background Rendering (suggested on another forum) or a wierd mix of the two.  Here is what I did:

To start:  I had the Original project which was about a dozen largish (appx. 2000x1500) jpgs and several avi clips totaling maybe 3 minutes.

I made an Original-video only project by copying the Original project and simply deleting the jpgs.

I made a Test project by saving a brand new project and putting in 2 largish jpgs and 1 short avi clip on a new timeline.

I started with Background Rendering enabled (default).

My crash was that when I went to the drop down menu and selected Window->Transitions, PrE8 would crash and close.

First I checked that my Windows update and Quicktime are up to date (they are).

The test project did not crash, even with the too large photos.

The first time I deleted the photos from the  Original-video only project it crashed (yesterday).  But when I returned to it today I could not get it to crash at all (it sounds funny to say I was trying to make it crash).  So I figured great!  Then I resized my photos to 640x480, put them back in as a slideshow on the timeline and no problem at all--no crash.

Then I returned to the Original project (video plus too large jpgs) and checked to see that it still was crashing with Window->Transitions (it was).  Then I disabled Background Rendering.  I saved, closed and reopened the project and tested.  It did NOT crash  with Window->Transitions with Background Rendering disabled, even though the jpgs were too big.

I will also point out, that during this time, I discovered I could get to transitions via the orange Edit button->Transitions button in that upper right window, and this path did NOT crash in any project. I am new to Premiere Elements and am still learning how to do things so missed this alternate path the first go round.  Nonetheless, I still wanted to fix the Windows->Transitions crash issue so I do not have to remember to avoid it.

In summary then, it appears that the the crash issue occurs when I had BOTH too-large jpgs and Background Rendering enabled.  By either reducing jpg resolution within the guidelines OR turning off the rendering, the crash issue was resolved.  (Although I will probably do both in future projects).

Thanks for your help and, despite the annoyance, I see this experience has taught me several valuable things I can do to avoid crashes in the future.

Margthecar2

• 3. Re: fix for crash after opening Transitions Window?

Thanks for the success story, Marg. Happy moviemaking!

• 4. I spoke too soon--not fixed and it gets even wierder
                Margthecar2 Level 1

It turns out I did not fix the problem, but discovered a sequence of events that seems to temporarily fix the problem.  This is what I mean about wierd.

I spent a couple hours yesterday and today proving to myself this was about 75% reproducable because it seems very absurd.

It has to do with the sequence with which I load the projects.  There are two projects involved and here is what I will call them:

Original project--created in PrE7 under Vista 64-bit, with avis and jpgs; original jpgs deleted and replaced by jpgs resized to 640x480

Test project--created in PrE8 trial version under Win7 64-bit, with 2 jpgs and 1 small avi

The crash--PrE8 quits suddenly and goes back to welcome screen with no error message (I set the Adobe Submit Report screen to autoreport so it no longer appears)

Starting fresh with nothing open, if I start PrE8 and  load the Original project first, I get a crash either under orange Edit--> Transition, or immediately after loading without clicking anything.  This happens, I would say 3 of 4 times.  Even when it loads, I noticed the GPU transitions do not fully load and/or are not functional.

Exiting out of everything and starting over, if I open the Test project first, all is stable, GPU transitions are all there and work.  Then from within the Test project, I click File->Open Recent Project->Original project, it opens fine, all seems stable and the GPU transitions are all there and work.  This has worked 100% of the time. I have tested it perhaps 10 times.

It almost seems like opening the Test file, made in Pre8, it "primes" the system to be stable for the Original project made in PrE7.  Does this make any sense at all?  Can this possibly be what is happening?

So when I was working on this problem before, I was messing around with both projects a lot, opening and closing, so if this sequence is true, that is why I thought I fixed the problem.  I had opened the Test project first.  But after leaving it overnight, it seems to reset the Original to have problems again.  That is when I noticed that after opneing the Test project, the problems in the Original seem to magically go away and I tested that idea to decent reproducability.

Soooooo, where to go from here?  Is it possible there is something in the PrE7 project that causes the crash?  Should I  start over in PrE8 with a new project from scratch?  I can do that without too much pain, except for one complicated picture-in-picture scene I would rather not recreate from scratch. I read sceneline scenes cannot be copied and pasted between projects, is that true?  Should I consider exporting that one scene sequence as an AVI then importing it as a clip into the new project?  Right now I am using the trial version with the watermark.  If I create the AVI will it also have the watermark and if so, will it come off once I buy the full version?  Or do I need to wait until I get the full version to make the AVI so there is no watermark in the AVI?

I feel crazy for proposing this stuff, but this has been what my experience has been.  If you have a more logical explanation or a better way to proceed, please let me know.

Margathecar2

• 5. Re: I spoke too soon--not fixed and it gets even wierder

Did we confirm that those AVIs are DV-AVIs, captured over Firewire from a miniDV camcorder and are not some non-standard video format, like video from a still camera or video from exporting from another program?

Version 7 is very stable, particularly when Windows has all of its updates and you're using the latest version of Quicktime. You should not be having nearly as many problems as you're having with standard video and resized photos.

Also, is there anything else you can tell us about your system that could be relevant? Is it a laptop? Is your video on a second or external drive that maybe hasn't been reformatted to NTFS? That sort of thing.

• 6. Re: I spoke too soon--not fixed and it gets even wierder
                    Margthecar2 Level 1

Wow, PrE7-8 is full of nuances that are not very obvious.  Okay, everything about my computer is pretty standard and I am running from the C: drive.

BUT, my avi files are NOT.  I did not even know there are different kinds of AVI files.  I thought an AVI was an AVI.

My AVI files come from a digital still camera and export as "clip.avi"  I just assumed you could use them like that.  The camera is a Canon Powershot SD700IS.

I have not done it yet, but I also would like to capture video from a Sony Camcorder DCR-HC32. It uses those little digital tapes and I put it on a dock that I connect the computer with a USB cable (not firewire).  it sounds like I might have trouble capturing video this way as well.

I know my cameras are old, but I like them and they meet the needs of my vast filmmaking empire (LOL) so please, is there any free or low cost (and SIMPLE!) conversion program I can use to take the still camera AVIs and also to capture/convert the output from the Sony Camcorder to put them in the best format for Pre8?  Or is there someway to "preconvert" them in PrE8 itself?

Thanks for your help.

Margthecar2

• 7. Re: I spoke too soon--not fixed and it gets even wierder
                      Margthecar2 Level 1

Steve,

I just saw you old post in the FAQs regarding the ways to convert AVIs to DV-AVIs.  I used to use Windows Movie Maker on my old XP machine and found it easy, but limited, especially in the sound mixing area, which is why I am trying PrE8.  In any event, I am going to try to use
                      WMM to convert my AVI clips from the still camera.  Also, I assume WMM would be the best way to capture my video from the Sony Camcorder and output it in DVAVI as well?

Margthecar2

• 8. Re: fix for crash after opening Transitions Window?
                        ms moira

I followed this post with interest because I can see the same problem on my machine [e8400, 4GB, Win 7 32, 8800GTX] using P7. This has happened over various projects but has gotten much worse since the XP ->Win7 upgrade. If I remove then reinstall P7 I can work on a project for about an hour and then with nothing in particular going on I go to Edit->Transitions, the first half of the thumbnails appear to render and then the program just closes. If I reopen p7, any project I try will immediately close after I select transitions tab [or the effects tab]from the Edit menu. This is sending me nuts and I think upgrading to P8 will not fix this.

I will try the theory of loading a very simple file with 2 jpegs before a project but that seems, at best, lucky to me.

Dave

• 9. Re: fix for crash after opening Transitions Window?
                          Margthecar2 Level 1

FYI--the new Windows Movie Maker Live for Win 7 is a totally dumbed down version and worthless for any video file conversion (and IMHO worthless in general compared to the old WMM).  You gotta go back to an earlier version.  I have the XP version on another computer and I am going to use that.  Apparently the Vista version is okay as well, but I don't know where that can be downloaded.

My plan now is to convert my still camera AVIs to DV-AVIs using XP WMM, reduce my JPGS to within the guidelines in the FAQs and start over.  It will take me a couple weeks and I will report back here on how much it has reduced the crash problems when I feel my movie is big enough to judge that effectively.

• 10. Re: fix for crash after opening Transitions Window?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the resizing, this ARTICLE will give you tips on automating the process in Photoshop. PSElements should be similar, though I do not have that program to check the differences.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: fix for crash after opening Transitions Window?
                              nealeh Level 5

Margthecar2 wrote:

FYI--the new Windows Movie Maker Live for Win 7 is a totally dumbed down version and worthless for any video file conversion (and IMHO worthless in general compared to the old WMM).  You gotta go back to an earlier version.  I have the XP version on another computer and I am going to use that.  Apparently the Vista version is okay as well, but I don't know where that can be downloaded.

Original Windows Movie Maker for XP (v2.1) is built in to the XP sp2 update. Movie Maker for Vista (v2.6) can be downloaded from Microsoft. I have that version installed in W7u-64 and it works fine.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: fix for crash after opening Transitions Window?
                                Barb__O Level 4
                                . Movie Maker for Vista (v2.6) can be downloaded from Microsoft. I have that version installed in W7u-64 and it works fine.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

thanks Neale for that information.

• 13. Re: fix for crash after opening Transitions Window?
                                  Margthecar2 Level 1

I finally found the time to report back an to close this thread.  After receiving help from Adobe PrE8 Tech support, it appears my problem was the GPU Transitions (5 of them) conflicting with my ATI graphics card.  They had me simpy remove those transitions from the PrE8 Plug-In folder to a folder on my desktop and VOILA no more problems with opening transitions.  They are still "working" on a solution to the card conflict and send me an email now and then asking me to do this or that and send them a report file, but I am not holding my breath that it will be resolved anytime soon.  So, I don't have the 5 GPU transitions to use, but have had few problems crashing since.

I went ahead and edited a 1 hour standard def DV-AVI source DVD with great success and not a single crash!

As for the still camera video issue, when I find the time, I will post a discussion of how I dealt with that called something like, "A workable workflow for Canon still camera video"

Margthecar

• 14. Re: fix for crash after opening Transitions Window?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for taking the time to report. Interesting about the GPU Transitions and the ATI card. There is a survey thread open here from Chad of Adobe on non nVidia card issues, so I'm confident that he, and his team are working on this. Yours is the very first report on those Transitions that I have seen, and greatly appreciate knowing this info. Glad that Adobe T/S is working with you, and still trying to get a fix for the issue.

Also glad that you are editing smoothly and have been crash-free.

Please keep us informed, as the details will certainly help others in the future.

Happy editing,

Hunt