14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2010 7:06 PM by able123

Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3

Photo_Jeff_Bartlett

I'm trying to make some video presentations which include several still-image time lapses. Unfortunately, all of the still images become extemely soft when I import/export them.

I have tried rendering the workspace, but it doesn't eliminate the issue.

I used lightroom to make sure that the images were the right aspect ratio, and much larger. Then I exported them as JPG and imported them to Premiere Pro CS3. After adding the files to my timeline, I selected each one and chose "scale to frame".

When I preview the movie, or export it and watch, the still images are very soft. Completely unacceptable quality.

Any idea what I can do differently to make this work better?

• 1. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3
          tclark513 Level 3

Is there any chance you are using effects on the stills?  Edge feather by any chance?  Premiere has a bug when adding effects to stills in an interlaced timeline.  I fixed my issue by creating a progressive timeline and using that instead.

Even if you are not using effects I would still try the progressive timeline.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3
            Photo_Jeff_Bartlett Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I do not have a single effect on the photos.

Is there a chance that I am streaming the time lapse too fast? What frame rate can images be expected to run at?

Also - how do I switch to a progressive timeline?

I'm willing to try any suggestion. Its a big disappointment to realize that this program might not be able to do what I need...

• 3. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3
              Level 4

Hi,

I dont know what sizes you are dealing with, but as an example lets say you are dealing with 720 pixels wide x 480 pixels high... for your premiere project  video size.

I had the same impression a while ago, about still images and premiere...that the dots per inch , or pixels per inch, of a still image mattered to the video program the same way it does for printing the images on paper.

In other words, since 300 dpi (ppi) - I come from the old school of print and commercial print...so I sorta think in dots per inch even though I know it's not right....sorry....   but anyway, if you want to print on paper you need probably 300 dpi for it to look decent.

In video however, it is not the same thing at all.  You can have an image that is 600 dpi or 1200 dpi , it doesn't matter to the video program one bit.  It only looks at how many pixels wide and how many pixels high the image is....and to some extent ( of course ) how many colors are represented ( bit depth of the still image ).

Your assumption, like mine a few weeks ago, is that by making the image a lot bigger in your photo program, and then scaling it down in premiere will make the dpi or resolution denser....better....  which is not correct unfortunately.  That would be true on paper ( print ) but in video it isn't true.

If you make your images nice looking at 72 dpi ( or better still 96 dpi because some monitors have that resolution now ...which represents the MOST you can see on the monitor, so having anything more in your images is just wasted in the size of the file ( byte count )....) ...and make the image the same size as your project ( 720 pixels by 420 pixels ) you will have beautiful still photos in your video clip.

It's the scaling and incongruity in size that is messing you up , I think.  Give it a try.

Good luck

Rod

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3
                tclark513 Level 3

Photo_Jeff_Bartlett wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I do not have a single effect on the photos.

Is there a chance that I am streaming the time lapse too fast? What frame rate can images be expected to run at?

Also - how do I switch to a progressive timeline?

I'm willing to try any suggestion. Its a big disappointment to realize that this program might not be able to do what I need...

You need to create a new sequence that is progressive and drop the footage in.

• 5. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3

Hey guys - thanks for the help, but I'm still having the same issues.

I tried exporting the photos as the same dimensions as the video project, at 72dpi but they were still soft. I realized I had a pixel aspect ratio problem, so I ran an action in photoshop that converted them to the required size and pixel aspect ratio.

Dropped them into my timeline and watched as the quality was immediately ruined. Its like someone is holding a piece of shrink wrap plastic between my screen and the video - its so fuzzy.

Any more ideas??

• 6. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What's the display quality of your Program Monitor set to - Highest,

Automatic or Draft?

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3
                      rowby Level 1

Question to all:

Would it help if (assuming he had the original images) if they were created as TIFS instead of JPGS and the tifs were imported into Premiere instead of JPGs??

Rowby

• 8. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3

Thanks for even more help - but I am afraid the frustration is building.

I had it set to HIGHEST Quality, so I do not think that is the problem...

Just a few questions that might solve this:

What file format do most people use for still images?

What default workspace? (PAL, NTSC, DV-24P, etc)?

How fast is too fast for a frame rate? I am using stills for a time lapse, so I have the duration set to about 6 frames.

Have other people had this same issue?

Jeff

• 9. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3
                          Level 4

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble...

Have you checked your playback settings ? look in PROJECT SETTINGS / GENERAL / PLAYBACK...look anything like this??

desktop settings.jpg

I don't know what sort of quality you are looking for...check out these two links of still images in video so we have some kind of quality assessment...let me know if they are better or worse than what you are looking for...

First sample, on YouTube...so not good quality due to lots of compression (mp4) and YouTube translates on top of that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9HkPB-G0g

Next sample: still very compressed ...about 40 meg...download from my website "HUNTS SAMPLE"...is a bunch of stills  montage....

play once you download ...

http://rodneybauer.com/whiteboard2.htm

AVI type 2 files would be much better quality than these samples ...but if these don't look too horrible to you than I can give you the project settings I used to make them...and you can save yours as AVI type 2 files (good quality) and see how they look...

Rod

• 10. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Can you post a typical example of one of the stills?

And can you tell us what project preset you are using in Pr?

• 11. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3

Hey rod - Both of your samples looked great. I would be happy with that result. Can you send me the settings?

As for my settings, I am using DV- NTSC Standard 48 - this gives 30 frames per second

Then I have my still duration set for 6 frames - I want 5 images per second for the time lapses.

Export settings are:

Filetype: Quicktime

Range: Entire Sequence

Compressor:mpeg-4

PAR: 0.9

Bit-Depth: Project Settings

Optimize Stills: YES

Thanks.

• 12. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3
                                Curt Wrigley Level 4

I separate issue, but curious;  Are you building an animated image sequence from stills?  If so; if all your stills are numbered sequentully and in the same folder; you can import them as one animated clip.    Just do import, click on the 1st image in the sequence; Pr will see that it is a numbered still and make the "import image sequence checkbox active".  Check that and all images (1 or 10,000) will import as a single animated clip.

• 13. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3

Thanks for the help every one. Definitely a great introduction to the value of these forums and basic collaberation.

I'll post a link to the completed project here when I finish in a few weeks.

I just solved the issue. My original lightroom export was the problem. I exported using a basic web/email template, then upsized the image when I ran them throught photoshop to adjust the PAR and exact dimensions. The images still looked good in photoshop, so I never thought the problem might be the original export, but when I redid everything from square one this morning, I definitely saw the improvement in quality I was looking for.

Thanks for all your help.

Jeff

• 14. Re: Still Images are Soft in Premiere Pro CS3
                                    Level 4

DOH !

hehe...live and learn...

Rod