11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 9:13 AM by Jimtoscano

Exporting Frames. . . How to set the interval?

Fetch2010

Hi,

I am running Premiere Pro CS3 and want to export Frames (still in .bmp format) from my final video at a specific interval.  Here is what I am doing.

I got to Export, then Movie, then Settings, then the Genral Tab,  I choose BMP, then I pick my range (entire sequence), then I select the Key Frame tab and see an option for the Frame Interval but it is disabled.  Can anyone help me figure out how to export every 20 or so frames to save disc space?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: Exporting Frames. . . How to set the interval?
          Level 4

Hi,

Interesting question...

What you are seeing for keyframes in video tab isn't what you are thinking... keyframes don't denote a range of frames to be exported.

Keyframes has more to do with effects that are applied to the video and ( here I admit I don't know much about this subject ) probably has an effect on how the video is encoded using I-frames and so on....this is sorta a mystery to me at this point...but the help files will probably explain some of what the keyframes are used for re: exporting video.

What you want to do is export individual frames as BMP files and you don't want to export the entire clip, but just sections of the clip...like maybe 20 frames every so often...throughout the clip ?

I would maybe try to zoom in on your timeline so you can see the frames of your clip fairly well...and set your work bar area to the range of 20 frames (or your preference of range ).  Then do your export by going to EXPORT / MOVIE / WORKBAR AREA/ BMP....When done go back to your video clip and move the work area bar over to the next area of the clip you want to export....  drag the work area bar by putting cursor over that thing in the middle of the work area bar and cursor turns into a hand type symbol, and drag it.  Sometimes the CTI gets in the way, so put the CTI over somewhere far away so it doesn't get in the way ....

Just keep doing that until you've got what you want....

Good luck

Rod

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exporting Frames. . . How to set the interval?
            Fetch2010 Level 1

Rod,

Thanks for the help.  That helps me understand what I am doing but doesn;t solve my problem.  Let me tell you what I want to do.  I produce 10 minute video clips for online commercial distribution.  What I do is create animated gifs to show various sections of the clip on my website.  So I need to pick a selection of 10 frames or so to create the gif.  I'd like to automate this some and export say 100 images or so (if possible based on interval settings) and then pick the 10 best in Bridge.  It is must fater than exporting individual frames in the sequence.  Make sense?

Thanks,

Chris

• 3. Re: Exporting Frames. . . How to set the interval?
              Level 4

Hi,

Hmmm, that's odd, someone else tonight had a problem that prompted me to look into automating some actions and I think it would help you in your situtation.  Especially as you plan to do this probably more than once ....as I hope you are successful in your venture...

There is a program that Adobe makes ( you might have it on your computer already ! ) that might help you do what you want.

Here is a portion of the help file from the program...I hope you find it useful...

Other than this I am sorta out of ideas....

: p

Rod

Good luck !

There is a program by Adobe called "Extend Script Toolkit 2" that I have on my computer....The following text is from the help file of that program, to give you an idea what it can help you do....

<<<<<<

FROM HELP FILE OF ADOBE EXTEND SCRIPT TOOLKIT 2

Introduction

Scripting is a powerful tool that can be used to control and automate many features of many Adobe®
              applications—saving you so much time and effort that it can completely change the way you approach
              your work.

Isn’t scripting difficult to learn?

Scripting isn’t programming. You don’t need a degree in computer science or mathematics to write basic
              scripts that automate a wide variety of common tasks.
              Each scripting item corresponds to a tool or a palette or menu item in an Adobe application. In other
              words, each scripting element is something you already know through your Adobe expertise. If you know
              what you’d like your Adobe applications to do, you can easily learn to write scripts.

Why use scripting?

Your work is characterized by creativity, but many of the actual hands-on tasks are anything but creative.
              Most likely, you spend a lot of time doing the same or similar procedures over and over again.
              Wouldn’t it be great to have an assistant—one that happily does the mind-numbing tasks, follows your
              instructions with perfect and predictable consistency, is available any time you need help, works at
              lightning speed, and never even sends an invoice?
              Scripting can be that assistant. With a small investment of time, you can learn to script the simple but
              repetitive tasks that eat up your time. However, while it’s easy to get started, modern scripting languages
              provide the necessary depth to handle very sophisticated jobs. As your scripting skills grow, you may move
              on to more complex scripts that work all night while you’re sleeping.

How do I know when to use scripting?

Think about your work—is there a repetitive task that’s driving you crazy? If so, you’ve identified a
              candidate for a script. Next, you simply figure out:
              What are the steps involved in performing the task?
              What are the conditions in which you need to do the task?
              Once you understand the process you go through to perform the task manually, you are ready to turn it
              into a script.

What about actions or macros?

If you have used Actions or written macros, you have some idea of the efficiency of using scripts. But
              scripting goes beyond the capability of Actions or macros by allowing you to manipulate multiple
              documents and multiple applications in a single script. For example, you can write a script that
              manipulates an image in Photoshop and then tells InDesign to incorporate the image.

Additionally, your script can very cleverly get and respond to information. For example, you may have a
              document that contains photos of varying sizes. You can write a script that figures out the size of each
              photo and creates a different colored border based on the size, so that icons have blue borders, small
              illustrations have green borders, and half-page pictures have silver borders.

END OF HELP FILE NOTES

>>>>>>>>>>

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Exporting Frames. . . How to set the interval?
                Fetch2010 Level 1

Thanks!!  Off to bed for now but will look into this tomorrow.

• 5. Re: Exporting Frames. . . How to set the interval?
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

This is very easy to do.

You dont say what your source media is, but lets pretend it is in round numbers 30 fps.   For discussion purposes I will use a 1 second video clip as an example; but this will work equally well with your 10 minute clip.

• On the export media dialog; chose Windows BMP as your format.
                  • I will guess you are using SD DV as your source so I will choose NTSC Bitmap as the Preset.  If youare using HDV, choose the appropriate preset for HDV.
                  • Below on the video tab; check the box for "Export As Sequence".  This will make the Frame Rate field appear
                  • Frame rate in this example will be set to 29.97fps.  So if we export with this setting we will get 30 bmps for our 1 second clip
                  • Change the Frame Rate to "1".   Now we will get 1 Bmp for every 1 second of source clip.
                  • Tip:  If you want less frames that 1 per second;  simply go onto your timeline and speed the clip up.  Speeding a 10 second clip to 200% would then make these same export setting export 5 bmps per 10 seconds rather than 10. 
                  • 6. Re: Exporting Frames. . . How to set the interval?
                    Level 4

Hi Curt,

Very cool way to get a set number of still images (frames) out of a clip....

It worked great...I had a 34 second clip and set the frame rate to 1, and got 34 frames exported !  Very cool !

I think what the poster is looking for...  is a way to make a few animated GIF files from a single clip...and then pick out the best animated GIF's (out of say 100 samples for the clip ) to illustrate what the clip has in it, in general.  So he would need to extrapulate ( is that the word ? ) a sequential range of clips from the main clip along different areas of the timeline...

For example, frame0001 to frame0030, and then frame0100 to frame0130, and then frame0200 to frame0230, and so on....through the whole clip.

Then make GIF animations out of those ranges, and then pick out (edit ) the best samples to sell the main clip's good content to people.

Would your method work for that ??

Thanks

Rod

ps, I'm going to experiment some more with the settings you suggested....it's pretty cool !

• 8. Re: Exporting Frames. . . How to set the interval?
                      Fetch2010 Level 1

Curt,

Thank you for your help.  I am a little confused.  Can you tell me exactly what export media dialog box you are using.  I seem to not the options for the presents and the "Export as Sequence". 

I am using CS3, then I go to FILE, then EXPORT, then ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER. 

When I get there, I do not see the NTSC BITMAP preset option nor the "Export as Sequence".  My source files are simple WMV files that I made from a HD camera in the AVCHD codec.

Please clarify where I need to be.

Thanks,

Chris

• 9. Re: Exporting Frames. . . How to set the interval?
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

I was giving CS4 dialogs.   Ill translate to CS3 for you.

• Set work area bar over section you want to export (or whole timeline)
                        • File/Export/Movie
                        • Click Settings
                        • Choose File type = Windows Bitmap
                        • Click on Video Menu
                        • Change Frame rate to 1
                        • Click OK
                        • Choose folder and save/export

To get less that one frame second; chnage the speed of the clip on the timeline to somerthing greater than 100%

• 10. Re: Exporting Frames. . . How to set the interval?
                          Fetch2010 Level 1

Thank you very much Curt.  I am exporting away and this was a huge help!!!  Have a good weekend!

• 11. Re: Exporting Frames. . . How to set the interval?
                            Jimtoscano Level 1

Can you export even less that 1 fps?  Maybe 1 frame per minute?