4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 2:46 PM by the_wine_snob

Process Multiple Files to Reduce View Size within Safe Margin

johnjau

I use Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements. I am looking for a way to multiple process 400 pictures to Premiere so photos are not cropped because of TV 4x3 image cropping some safe margin. In photoshop I could increase the canvas size to give a black boarder which gives the effect I want. The Photoshop File/Process Multiple Files... does not allow canvas size change. In Premier I can resize using effects for safe margin individually. I am looking for a procedure to multiple (bulk) process. I would even prefer some black letterboxing rather than losing the edges of the images by the TV and Premier cropping.

This must be a common need. - Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Process Multiple Files to Reduce View Size within Safe Margin
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I know of no way you can batch increase the canvas size of your photos, John. Sorry. It is not a feature of Process Multiple Files.

For what it's worth, the area that's lost around the edges of your video frame isn't due to any cropping by any of the programs. It's something your TV does, and it's called overscan.

But it varies greatly from TV to TV -- so one TV may cut off up to 10% while another may not cut off any of the edge of your video frame at all and you'd just be stuck with your black box around the outside of your video frame. Is that really what you want?

Also, CRTs (the old style of TV) tend to cut off much more of the frame edge than LCDs and plasma screens, which cut off almost none. So, depending on who you're doing this video for, it may not be worth the effort.

• 2. Re: Process Multiple Files to Reduce View Size within Safe Margin
            johnjau Level 1

Steve, Thanks for your prompt and comprehensive answer. I have both types of TVs but our main TV is a 36" CRT type. The cropping (over scan) is noticeable because some pictures are busy collages and the edges are more relevant. Playing the DVD on my PC, there is no cropping. On the CRT it is maybe 5% and on the LCD less but noticeable. The pictures are from our annual family calendar picture submittals and the 12 monthly collages are the concern. I will handle these manually. The DVD video is a supplement to our calendar for distribution to our member families. We have been doing for 15 years and it has become not only a tradition but a family log since we only use pictures from the preceding year.  John

• 3. Re: Process Multiple Files to Reduce View Size within Safe Margin
              nealeh Level 5

johnjau wrote:

In photoshop I could increase the canvas size to give a black boarder which gives the effect I want. The Photoshop File/Process Multiple Files... does not allow canvas size change. In Premier I can resize using effects for safe margin individually. I am looking for a procedure to multiple (bulk) process. I would even prefer some black letterboxing rather than losing the edges of the images by the TV and Premier cropping.

I can no longer find the link but, apparently, the free Irfanview graphics program can increase the canvas size in batch mode.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Process Multiple Files to Reduce View Size within Safe Margin
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not have, nor do I know PSElements, but PS can definitely do a Canvas resize in an Action (setting the "background" color to whatever), and one can then Automate (to batch process) entire Source Folders, setting a new Destination Folder for this Action. Not sure of the limitation of Action in PSE though.

Good luck,

Hunt