24 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 1:45 AM by MagicBulletTV

After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start

MagicBulletTV Level 1

Hi all,

Just installed CS4 production studio under Snow Leopard.  All works well and updated using the Adobe Updater.  All apps are fine except AE which just bounces in the dock a few times and then stops.  I read that this could be because Rosetta was not installed.  I installed Rosetta from the Snow Leopard DVD and still nothing.  Have restarted 3 times just in case (I also read that several restarts may be required to get it to work), but still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dave

• 2. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
          MagicBulletTV Level 1

Hi Todd, yes I did.  If I run the Adobe Updater there are no updates available and I have installed the 9.0.2 update.

• 3. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Whe you say that you restarted a few times, do you mean that you restarted your computer or just After Effects. Restarting your computer seems to be what's required to get the Rosetta fix to take. (See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/516/cpsid_51667.html.)

• 4. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
              MagicBulletTV Level 1

The machine, 4th restart from shut down.  Am re-installing MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.2.dmg to see if this has any effect.  Mac OS is already 10.6.2.

This is what the console gives:

09/01/2010 19:23:08 [0x0-0x20020].com.adobe.AfterEffects[264] /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp[264] Launch failed with error code -2857 (cfragCFragRsrcErr) for application /Applications/Adobe After Effects CS4/Adobe After Effects CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/After Effects

09/01/2010 19:23:08 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[103] ([0x0-0x20020].com.adobe.AfterEffects[264]) Exited with exit code: 215

• 5. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                MagicBulletTV Level 1

Still not working.... any suggestions as to what to do next?  Am prepared to re-install AE if someone can point me to the info on how to do it without messing up my activations.

• 6. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The safest way to avoid a mess is to simply deactivate all apps.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                    mesmer3000 Level 1

I'm having a very similar problem. AE bounces once, but won't launch. No error message or anything. The AE render engine will launch, as will all the other CS4 apps, but not After Effects. So far, I have done the following:

1. Installed CS4 Production Premium on a clean install of Snow Leopard (no problems or error messages at that time).
                    2. Downloaded and installed the 9.0.2 update for AE.
                    3. Reinstalled Rosetta from the Snow Leopard install disc (although I'm pretty sure I installed it with the rest of the OS originally).
                    4. Rebooted the computer several times.

MagicBulletTV, were you ever able to get this issue resolved? Mylenium, when you say "deactivate all apps," do you mean use the uninstaller within each app's folder? Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start

Activations and installs are unrelated. The OP was about to wipe his disk, so deactivation (Help --> Deactivate) is necessary to not lose your activations. Specifically to your problem I cannot say much, since I avoided 10.6, but does activity monitor give any clue about activity? Can you try and terminate the app from there? This will at least produce an entry in your system event log which reflects thee last active state and that info may shed some light on the problem.

Mylenium

• 9. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                        mesmer3000 Level 1

Thanks for replying. If I'm watching the activity monitor while trying to launch After Effects, the program shows up for about 1 second and then disappears. The console shows me this:

2/6/10 5:10:04 PM [0x0-0xf00f].com.adobe.AfterEffects[143] /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp[143] Launch failed with error code -2857 (cfragCFragRsrcErr) for application /Applications/Adobe After Effects CS4/Adobe After Effects CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/After Effects

2/6/10 5:10:04 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[92] ([0x0-0xf00f].com.adobe.AfterEffects[143]) Exited with exit code: 215

Does that shed any light?

• 10. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start

Mmh, I'm afraid this is not particularly insightful. It's the most rudimentary "could not launch app" error that happens right after initialization. Many sources suggest that this depends on external libraries, but since you say you have installed Rosetta, it should not occur for that reason. Otehr info points to damaged system entries with resource forks. Did you check your disk's integrity? Maybe run tools like OnyX (or a simple Repair Permissions)... Perhaps this reveals something.

Mylenium

• 11. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                            MagicBulletTV Level 1

I did finally solve my issue, though, as often the case am not sure exactly what the cause was.  Unfortunately it was an un-install, re-install that fixed it.  The specific steps were:

1. Run the AE un-install from within the Adobe AE application folder (did not need to deactivate as I wasn't removing the whole suite).
                            2. Ensure the Rosetta and Snow Leopard patches are all installed (Run apple software update, plus the extras folder of my Snow Leopard Disc).
                            3. Shut down the machine and restarted, just to be sure.
                            4. Installed AE from the install DVDs.
                            5. Ran the Adobe updater to re-install the AE patch.

All works fine now.  Was annoyed at having to download all the patches again as I am with BT broadband and they charge you if you go over your monthly download limit.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Dave

• 12. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                              mesmer3000 Level 1

Dave, I followed your steps, and although things didn't go quite as smoothly, After Effects is now launching with no problems. When I reinstalled After Effects, the installation process ended with a "Done With Errors" message, along with instructions to restart the computer and start from scratch. However, I tried launching AE, and it did so with no problems, so I downloaded all the updates. Everything seems to be working fine now. If I run into any problems down the line that seem like they're related to that installation error message, I'll post them here.

Big thanks to both Dave and Mylenium for helping me work through this problem.

Ed

• 13. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                                stanshark1 Level 1

I have been having the exact same issues with AE and also follwed Dave's steps and, like Ed, got the weird error message at the end of the reinstall, but everything appears to be working fine, at least for now.

I believe this was the fourth time I reinstalled AE in an attempt to fix this issue, but it wasn't until I followed Dave's steps exactly that I got a result.  Thanks!

• 14. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                                  Mesmer3001 Level 1

Stanshark1:

Although this method worked for me, I'm now trying to work through a problem that the uninstall/reinstall of After Effects seems to have caused, which is I've lost my sequence presets in Premiere for XDCAM EX and XDCAM HD (more details here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/574310?tstart=0). I ended up deactivating CS4 as a whole on my computer, uninstalling it, running CleanScript, re-installing CS4, and re-installing all the updates. When I did this, I had the missing presets back in Premiere, but After Effects wouldn't launch again. So I did the uninstall/re-install of just After Effects again, which worked for After Effects, but now my presets are missing again in Premiere.

If you have a chance, can you check your sequence presets in Premiere and tell me if you're having the same problem with the missing XDCAM EX and XDCAM HD presets? I'm curious.

My next step is to attempt another uninstall/reinstall of CS4, with multiple tries at running CleanScript in between, but I need a nice big chunk of free time to do so. I'll keep you posted.

Ed

P.S. The slightly different screen name is due to the fact that I wanted these forum e-mails to go to a different e-mail address.

• 15. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                                    MagicBulletTV Level 1

Ah, yes I now have presets missing for XDCAM, etc and also AVCHD, only realised after I used the version on my laptop which has all the presets,

If you figure it out, please can you update the post and I will too.

Cheers

Dave

• 16. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                                      stanshark1 Level 1

Oops, yeah, you're right -- they're missing for me, too.

But I don't really use Premiere -- I do my editing in Final Cut... Haven't checked yet to make sure, but I don't think this issue has affected FCP.

So, not the end of the world for me, BUT I am baffled by this issue and am willing to continue troubleshooting with you guys to help find a solution.

• 17. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                                        Mesmer3001 Level 1

Alright, I now have both After Effects working as it should and all the sequence presets in Premiere. It involved another uninstall/reinstall of CS4, and I did a few things differently this time, so I'm not positive if it was one thing that did the trick or a combination of them.

First, I followed the advice I found over in the Premiere forum (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2589203#2589203), which was to

1. Restart the computer after every step of the uninstall/reinstall.
                                        2. Be hyper-vigilant about making sure no other programs are run at any time during the installation.
                                        3. Run CleanScript multiple times in between uninstalling and reinstalling CS4 (I did it four times, rebooting in between each try).

One other thing I did differently was to avoid the Adobe Updater. After installing CS4 this latest time, the first thing I did before adding any of the updates was to check After Effects (it launched) and Premiere (the presets were all there). On my first two installations, I just went straight from installation to having Adobe Updater download and install all the updates. It's possible that things were working fine, and the problems were introduced during the mass installation of all the updates. So this time, starting with After Effects, I downloaded just the 9.0.2 update and installed it, rebooted, and then checked both AE and Premiere - everything was still fine. Then I did the same with the 4.2.1 update for Premiere, rebooted, and checked them both - still fine. I ended up doing each app one at a time, checking along the way to make sure no particular update broke anything else in the suite. It was probably a bit overkill after those first two, but I was so close, I didn't want to screw it up by being careless.

Incidentally, after that second installation didn't work, I submitted a ticket to Adobe Customer Support. They got back to me last night, and their solution was to just download the plugins for missing presets here:

www.adobe.com/products/plugins/premiere/

If anyone else is having difficulty, maybe that's another way to go.

Ed

• 18. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                                          MagicBulletTV Level 1

OK - DONT DO WHAT I HAVE JUST DONE!  I'm including this post to help avoid anyone else having the same issue.  To try and restore the missing plugins I put the first disc in and ran the setup.  I ticked Premiere as the product to repair/reinstall.  After a few minutes and asking for all the discs I tried to run Premiere.  I was asked for the serial number again and on typing it in I get the message that the serial number is invalid!  I had to check the box use Premiere for 30 days or be without Premiere.  Looking at the preset list they are still not there!  Going to raise a support ticket and let you know how I get on.  Not very impressed at all with how long all this messing about is taking and how many hours one of our edit suites is down.

• 19. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                                            brettyboo Level 1

What is it with Creative Suite installs!

I thought we'd be over all this cleanscript rubbish with CS3, and now I have this exact same problem with a brand new Master Collection CS4 install. Reinstalling the master collection takes hours - I lost 2 days last time with CS3 and now I probably have to write-off at least another day to do this.

It's fantastic software, but why do I have to take a beating before I can actually use it?

Brett.

• 20. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                                              MagicBulletTV Level 1

OK... Now I feel like Scott of the Antartic writing in his journal before the inevitable... I am writing this purely to help anyone else with the same issue to resolve it without the pain that I am still experiencing.  Hopefully the last entry will read "all solved" and not "I am about to pop outside... I may be some time..."

After using CS2 for the bulk of my work I thought I'd try and get this solved once and for all, especially as we have a DVCPROHD project coming up and need CS4 to do it.

OK... The so now I have the suite running, except Premiere is running under at trial without the presets and the updates fail when installing.  Contacted support this week, they wont re-open the original case because it has been over a month.  Fair enough, new case.

The adobe guy takes control of my machine, deactivates it, then from Finder deletes lots of folders.  He then asks me to re-install the products.  I do this (2 hours later) and run Premiere and it appears to work with presets.  I look a bit closer and notice that under the help menu of Premiere Register, Deactivate and Updates are all greyed out.  This is not the case in the other products of the suite.  OK, so not a major deal but does imply something is not installed right.  I run the Adobe Updater, Premiere updates, but AE, PS and several updates fail.

Call back to support.  This time the Adobe guy takes control of my machine suggests I deactivate the suite, run the un-install and then download and run the CS3 Clean script and re-install.  I do all this.  Another 2 hours later feeding discs into the machine... and... Premiere looks fine, presets all there... but wait for it... AFTER EFFECTS JUST BOUNCES IN THE DOCK BUT WONT START.

3rd call back to support and ask for the issue to be escalated.  This is difficult and I have to cause a fuss to realise that this problem is the same one that has been hanging around for months and that I am not prepared to spend more hours removing every trace of Adobe from my machine and re-installing - this doesn't work.  The support technician asks me to delete a hidden folder that has all the Adobe patches in it, manually download the AE 9.0.2 update and install it.   It installs but AE wont start.  I explain that I've had enough and want the problem escalated.

I finally get a call back from a 2nd level engineer this morning.  After explaining the that AE wont start and then answering the question "why is this a problem for you!" we do some quick troubleshooting.  This time I have to pull out the network cable, turn off Airport, create a new user account, log on to it and then see if AE runs.  Which it does.  Within seconds we get launched into the pre-determined script, "if it runs under another user account then there is nothing wrong with the applications and I should call Apple".  After being patronised for a further 5 mins I had to PROVE to the guy that it was also possible that the fault was Adobes.  I also know the moment I phone Apple, the response will be "Call Adobe".

The only example I could give him at the time was to image a piece of software I had written that allocated memory based on the screen resolution (this is a user preference) and if my code was badly written and crashed when encountering a screen resolution bigger than my code was expecting.  OK, is that Apple's fault, no it is my code.  Will it run under one user and not another, yes it will.  There are a million other posibilities.  Some I agree could be Apple's, but equally some could be Adobes and the big fat fob off as soon as you can is terrible.

I have also since realised since leaving this call with the technician, that:

1) This is a brand new iMac and the Adobe Suite was the 1st piece of 3rd party software installed on it.

2) The iMac is for video editing and nothing else.

3) This was working without presets before the Adobe guys deleted all these files and asked me to re-install.  It is more likely that they have deleted something they should not have rather than the a bug in the OS.  A bug in the OS is still possible but I suspect the problem is with a rogue bit of installation code from Adobe.

Finally incase anyone from Adobe is reading this:

1. I have paid thousands of pounds for this software.
                                              2. I have been unable to use it for months.
                                              3. A problem like this should be gold dust for you.  Here is the chance to get to the bottom of an issue that several people are having, understand the mechanics of what is going wrong.  Write a KB article as well as a patch and this would save the time/money and effort of an awful lot of people (including your own).

As a short thought experiment I would like everyone at Adobe to image the following:

1. You pay £1,000 of your own money for a tool to do your work on the promise that you can make this money back in productivity gains, new business, etc.
                                              2. The tool you use every day to make a living won't work.  For the benefit of the experiment, imagine this is your email client, web browser or case management tool.
                                              3. You have no IT group to replace your machine or to come and solve it.
                                              4. You can't tell your customers that your software is down and you have to keep doing your job.
                                              5. You have to spend an additional 3 days in your own time, working late or weekends to try and fix the software yourself.
                                              6. You to keep downloading a Gigabyte of data 3 or four times and you have to pay for downloads.  Currently you are running up a bill of over £100 in downloads and phone calls.
                                              7. You don't get paid the overtime and your customers start complaining you are late with your work.
                                              8. You lose customers... you eventually get fired because you have lost too many of them.

...This is what it feels like for a small creative business to not be able to install the software they bought.

• 21. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                                                brettyboo Level 1

MagicBulletTV,

Right there with you, buddy.

Managing such a large and complex software package is no easy task.

HOWEVER, we've already endured this with CS3. This is take 2, and it's still a mess.

There are two people in my company with Master Collection - I'm on a mac and my colleague is on windows. Both of us had install issues and he has had to run the cleanscript and redo the install, costing at least a day. I just don't have the time right now.

In the meantime, I have work to do so I've dumped it and am using the final cut pro studio for my production workflow. The longer it goes unaddressed, the more likely I won't revert to the Adobe workflow. (actually, by the by, I can totally recommend FCP Studio if you're on a mac...)

Come on guys, what's the story?

Brett.

• 22. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                                                  JaysonM-Y Level 3

brettyboo wrote:

I can totally recommend FCP Studio if you're on a mac...)

That's just mean.

I use both actually, and I only advertise the product on the appropriate board.

• 23. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                                                    brettyboo Level 1

Jayson,

Ok, so that was a spontaneous passing comment, but don't diminish the argument by labelling it as inappropriate. Remember the fundamental problem is software not running at all, in which case the alternative is what?

I'm being very fair here, I've given credit where it's due, I've put it in context and I'm just saying it like it is. There's no point watering it down.

• 24. Re: After Effects just bounces in the dock but wont start
                                                      MagicBulletTV Level 1

OK... I'm battered but back.  I THINK it may be fixed.  I am loathe at this point to say definitely yes because of the debacle above where it appeared to be ok but wasn't.  I spent the weekend creating an entirely new user account and changing all the user preferences to what I had and re-configuring email, etc.  Took a few hours but the suite appears to work and all the apps upgraded fine.  So in short if you are experiencing this, then a work around might be to:

1. Create a new user account (System Preferences..., Accounts, Click the padlock to make changes, then the + button to create a new account, make sure you tick the "Allow user to administer this computer").
                                                      2. Log Out and Log In as the new user.
                                                      3. From Finder, Go, Applications, try and run the Adobe suite, if it works then carry on, if not, I can't really help you.
                                                      4. All your installed apps should be in the applications folder it just takes time to set everything back to how you had it in your original account.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Dave

P.S.

Brett agree with you entirely.