7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2010 11:26 PM by Todd_Kopriva

3d Space/stacking order glitch?

cowboymustache Level 1

I understand that if you are working with stacked 3d layers the visibility should be determined by the z depth unless the objects are coplanar, and then stacking order takes priority. There seems to be an occasion glitch with this in After Effects unless I am missing something. I have a front plane with several 3d layers, most things are coplanar, looks great. The animation I am working on involves animating a 3d camera through this plane into another series of elements placed in 3d space behind it. For some reason half of the elements in the 2nd plane (the one in back) are showing through and half are behind the foreground elements as they should be. 3d switches are on for all layers, they are properly placed in 3d space. there are no precomps. It's weird because I have two image layers right next to one another in layer order, both with the same z depth behind the front plane. One is showing in front of the front plane one is showing behind it! The camera animation looks correct, the the objects truly are relating to each other properly in 3d space. Ideally the layers in the back would not show up until I passed through the first plane. This is working for half the objects and not working for the ones mentioned above. Am I missing something?

• 1. Re: 3d Space/stacking order glitch?
          cowboymustache Level 1

it also seems to be related to .psd files with layer style or blending modes attached. Here is a weird example: I have an chain link fence sitting behind the front plane in 3d space, it is not visible when the camera is in front of the plane, as it should be. With the camera still out in front of the front plane, I turn on a layer with an emboss layer style that was saved in photoshop that is placed behind the fence and the front plane in 3d space, the chainlink fence is now visible in front of the front plane as well as the embossed layer. The embossed layer and the chain link fence are not connected by any layer modes or expressions at all!! Any suggestions? I am going to try and flatten out the files without the layer styles and see what happens.....

• 2. Re: 3d Space/stacking order glitch?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Am I missing something?

You are using layer styles, an effect or a feature that messes up 3D rendering, e.g. continuous rasterization, adjustment layers inbetween and so on. For layer styles this is a known limitation, for everything else we need more info, i.e. a screenshot of the comp and the timeline as well as what items you are using. The carte blanche advise of pre-composing everything to "flatten" it of course always applies.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: 3d Space/stacking order glitch?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

thegiftmachine10 wrote:

it also seems to be related to .psd files with layer style or blending modes attached. Here is a weird example: I have an chain link fence sitting behind the front plane in 3d space, it is not visible when the camera is in front of the plane, as it should be. With the camera still out in front of the front plane, I turn on a layer with an emboss layer style that was saved in photoshop that is placed behind the fence and the front plane in 3d space, the chainlink fence is now visible in front of the front plane as well as the embossed layer. The embossed layer and the chain link fence are not connected by any layer modes or expressions at all!! Any suggestions? I am going to try and flatten out the files without the layer styles and see what happens.....

As I just wrote - layer styles behave this way. Your observation is correct. Flatten in PS or pre-compose in AE.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: 3d Space/stacking order glitch?
                cowboymustache Level 1

Thank you, I was not aware of the layer style conflict with 3d rendering. I will try replacing all of those objects and see if that solvesit , if not, will post some screen shots.

• 5. Re: 3d Space/stacking order glitch?
                  cowboymustache Level 1

Is there any issue with quicktime files?  They same to be causing a similar issue. I have greenscreen footage prerendered with alpha in a .mov file placed way back in z space and it is still popping in front. Also I have one of the .mov files next to a psd element that I just flattened out that are coplanar and it's ignoring the stacking order, where it was working before I flattened out the layer styles. whew...Thanks again.

• 6. Re: 3d Space/stacking order glitch?
                    Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There shouldn't be any stacking order issue with a Quicktime - such layers work just the same as any other.  Things that can cause stacking order errors:

Layer Styles

2D layers separating 3D layers in the timeline, including:

2D adjustment layers

2D layers with 3D effects (like Trapcode Particular) applied

That said, I've worked on many projects where some layers just pop out of place for a few frames, and I've never found a resolution.